QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Cold Start Problems

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chyaweth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:36    Post subject: Cold Start Problems Reply with quote

Deli's not behaving itself first thing in the mornings.

Sounds like it's only starting on three.

I've had the glow plugs checked out and have been told they're OK.
The garage did a fuel filter change and adjusted the timing but still no joy.

I noticed the instrument lights dimming on the initial cranking so had that checked out then replaced because was down to 65% capacity.
Thought that might be the culprit but no, although the Deli does fire up and get onto "all fours" a lot quicker now.

A thread from somewhere else on the sight talked of waiting for a relay to click before one turns the key. I hear a solid clunk of a relay after about ten seconds but starting after that is still a problem.

The guy at the garage reckoned it could be something to do with a leaky gasket somewhere allowing the fuel to drain. Anyone know what this might be?

Any useful suggestions would be well appreciated.

Cheers all.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 1:36    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

marcsparks

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi matey
Assuming its an L400 you have then the 2.8 diesel unit,you should have a glo plug light on the dash that illuminates when the ignition is turned on then goes out after 5/10 seconds depending how cold it is ,when this goes out its time to start,if you wait to long after the light has gone out then the glo plugs will start to cool down quite rapidly,think what the chap is on about with the gasket could be the dreaded seal in the injection pump that when going creates air in the system and occasional starting probs,but normally manifests itself by staliing the delica after about 1/2 mile drive ,afterwards will start up and be ok til next day?
If you are starting on the light going out then try waiting for it to go out then turn ignition off then on again to reheat the plugs,if it is easier to start then i would say the plugs are on the way out,hope this helps all the best

Marc 8)
chyaweth

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 19:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marc,

yep it's an L400.

Tried your suggestion this morning but still only three Sad
Might have left too much time between the glow plug indicator going out.

What I'll do tomorrow morning is to switch off then immediately on again as soon as the light goes out. Perhaps do that a few times before finally actually cranking it. Wish me luck Smile

This is all a bit fancy compared to the old Perkins diesel engine I've got in my (humble) boat.

Cold start consists of a small reservoir of diesel kept topped up from the return line and a single glowplug in the inlet mouth.

I press the 'Cold Start' button, wait for the mixture to ignite in the inlet, then hit the start button Shocked

(It does work)

Wish me luck
marcsparks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 19:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck wouldnt want to try it on the paj tho lol,come across similar on a perkins 4/107 diesel engine except the only way we could get her goin was a blowtorch down the tube Shocked lil bit hair raising at times lol
If after you try a switch off/on a few times she does fire better then plugs sound the culprit,but i also find on mine b4 i turn the ignition on 1 pump of the throttle then ignition then she starts pretty much spot on in the cold ,not had any problems at all starting touch wood,iirc the owners manual says for starting in excess cold to depress throttle and keep depressed until started,altho not tried keeping it depressed,mine occasionally runs a lil bit lumpy for a couple of seconds literally ,but then shes as smooth as anything,hope it works out matey keep us posted all the best

Marc 8)
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the glow plugs are all fine it might be worth checking the connections to them on the bus bar. One could be dodgy.
It's a common trait though to be a bit lumpy on first starting which is why the manual says to allow the engine a short while to warm up when really cold before pulling away. I usually find a little blip on the throttle quickly clears the old girl out.
Pete
alan S

PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2004 20:27    Post subject: starting Reply with quote

Hi chaps as we are digressing across to other engines
have you met a Bollinder??
Single, big and semi governed (hit and miss)
heat mushroom head, decompress, kick flywheel over and recompress, if you get it right magic it will start ......but ... if you get it wrong it kicked back, booting you out of the boat and into the cut (canal)
used on narrowboats and if you get to look at a real oldie the reason the engine room doors are in line with the flywheel are now obvious.
and the sound, well, quite musical. A guy that owned a bollinder boat used to play a accordian whilst waiting locks to the engine, it really was quite something.

regards
Alan
chyaweth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 15:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys,

sadly neither multiple on/offs of the ignition switch or the single pump of the throttle have cured the cold starting Sad

I'll check the bus bar tomorrow.

Alan, continuing the digression --

Chyaweth is actually the name of our house, named by a Cornish friend and engraved on a piece of slate when we moved in. It's supposed to be Cornish for, "house by the watercourse".

We've an 1850's ex canal workers cottage on the Grand Union Canal.
It's really lovely to hear the old narrowboats chugging past the front door Smile

I'm "emigrating" to MDOCUK now for future postings but'll check up on any POCUK threads.

See you all on "the other side" Laughing
sam_g

PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2004 20:06    Post subject: Help Reply with quote

I have a real problem with my Delica on cold mornings. My glow plug warning light only flashes on for a split second. The car will start, but sounds rough, and chucks out white smoke. If I nurse it on the throttle I can usually keep the revs going and set off after a few minutes.

If it does die, then it usually takes between thirty and sixty seconds before it coughs and splutters into life with a cloud of black smoke.

The glow plugs have been replaced, but is there a chance they gave me the wrong ones? Or is it more likely that the relay or control unit is on it's way out? I usually hear a loud click after about a minute, when the engine is running and starting to warm.

BTW, I'm talking 1995 2.8 super exceed.

Cheers
Sam
davel400

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

marcsparks2002 wrote:
Hi matey
I think what the chap is on about with the gasket could be the dreaded seal in the injection pump that when going creates air in the system and occasional starting probs,but normally manifests itself by staliing the delica after about 1/2 mile drive ,afterwards will start up and be ok til next day?
Marc 8)

All my start and stopping problems were fixed by having the injection pump overhauled. The injection pump shaft seal would be the next to check if nothing else helps as the lack of oil changes in Japan degrade the seal.

Try this, pump the primer on top of the fuel filter housing before you start in the morning. If this helps it may indicate to pump is letting in air over night.

Good luck

Regards
marcsparks

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I usually hear a loud click after about a minute, when the engine is running and starting to warm.

Thats the glo control relay kicking out ,what happens is when started the glo plugs continue to operate for a set period of time until the engine temp sensor detects that the engine is warming enough to cope sufficiently on its own,with the plugs operating in and out it helps on cold starts for a smoother run whilst cold.
It may well be worth rechecking the glo plugs to make sure they are the correct type and also that all connections to the plugs as well as the buss bar are clean and tight,as any loose,dirty or corroded connections would cause problems within such a delicate system.
Hope this helps all the best

Marc 8)
chyaweth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2004 14:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get round to checking the bus bar but ...

It started almost perfectly this morning by the use of --

a - single, gentle pump of the throttle prior to turning ignition on.

b - three on/off's of the key before finally cranking.

Mind you, it was a lot milder this morning than of late.

I won't get another chance of checking until Tuesday evening because I'm back on my scooter now for commuting.

I was having to use the Delica this last six weeks whilst recovering from a bad hip injury.

Oh the joy of sneaking past all the traffic queues. A third the travelling time and a third of the fuel costs.

Mind you it was luxury sitting in the queues in the Delica, looking down on the other drivers and engaging in regular "intimidation" to get/assert my place in the queues Twisted Evil
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> DELICA technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: