Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Ratchet straps 5 ton +

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
danneh
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been looking at ratchet straps to use with high lift jack for winching instead of the chain kit thats available. When i do get round to getting one im goin to go to my dads farm and get "stuck" and practise using the high lift as a winch in a safe enviroment. Hopefully i will never have to use it in real life but id rather have it and not need than need and not have!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

subzero

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 18:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

danneh wrote:
I have been looking at ratchet straps to use with high lift jack for winching instead of the chain kit thats available. When i do get round to getting one im goin to go to my dads farm and get "stuck" and practise using the high lift as a winch in a safe enviroment. Hopefully i will never have to use it in real life but id rather have it and not need than need and not have!

chain is betters as your not wasting force streching the chain as you do a strap
Pete Chambers

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

in all honesty, a 3500lb winch on a towball, can pull 10500lbs with two snatch blocks, slow, but it'll do it, and its not expensive, can be used for other uses, and if its for times when you have 'bellied' out , pull yourself back, get the spade, dig yourself a clear route, try again. i have seen some on eblag for £79, another few quid for some snatch blocks and a chain to attatch to the spare wheel you have just buried as an anchor and a stop or two should get you out of most things you will encounter on a lane, if its worse than that, maybe it shouldnt have been driven ?
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Chambers wrote:
in all honesty, a 3500lb winch on a towball, can pull 10500lbs with two snatch blocks, slow, but it'll do it, and its not expensive, can be used for other uses, and if its for times when you have 'bellied' out , pull yourself back, get the spade, dig yourself a clear route, try again. i have seen some on eblag for £79, another few quid for some snatch blocks and a chain to attatch to the spare wheel you have just buried as an anchor and a stop or two should get you out of most things you will encounter on a lane, if its worse than that, maybe it shouldnt have been driven ?

2 snatch blocks - won't it pull 14,000 llbs?   - If it's componants are up to it?

mark " doing maths " dale
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 20:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Pete,i certainly wont be attempting anything silly as this is for when i am with family in tow.Will look into that option,cheers
Pete Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

venn105 wrote:
Thanks for that Pete,i certainly wont be attempting anything silly as this is for when i am with family in tow.Will look into that option,cheers

check out readers wives. oops, drives lol
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 20:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a 3500lb winch on a tow ball with two snatch blocks with a Paj that's stuck enough to need 10,000lb of pull will just pull the towbar off...
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would something like this then be sufficient to help a little in an emergency,i dont mean 3ft of mud etc Exclamation just if moderately stuck at worst.
bay of pee  350341167790   champion winch and attach to tow ball(200kg rated)heavy duty.So attach with decent winch tray that sits on tow ball.This one is 3500lb but could go for higher rated,bare in mind its not for full recovery from deep swamp Laughing
Pete Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:
I think a 3500lb winch on a tow ball with two snatch blocks with a Paj that's stuck enough to need 10,000lb of pull will just pull the towbar off...

10000lb = 4.5t approx, towbar should cope with that by design, and i was just making the point that you can get 10000lb pull for little money, so not spending hundreds of pounds on a front bumper weight that might get used once a year, also, front winch = pull yourself into more trouble, rear winch = get yourself out of the trouble, then either divert, or make a different approach to the terrain.

oh, and if a paj can tow a loaded artic up hills from the towbar, then im sure it can cope with 10000 lbs when said artic was 96,800lbs (44t), and it has been done several times last winter.
Pete Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 22:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark dale wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:

2 snatch blocks - won't it pull 14,000 llbs?   - If it's componants are up to it?

Nope, and if the components are up to a 3500 pull, then using a pulley, the load on the winch i halved for a given load, so in effect, less stress

see here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Pulley2.svg
subzero

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well if it was me I'd just fit a rear locker !!!

I personly wouldn't give a 3.500 winch the time of day

Yes you can double the pull with snatch blocks but in real terms how many people know how to rig a winch and use one safely ?

Rachet straps should only be used for strapping a load down nothing more !
By a high lift jack with 2 rated chains and shackles and use that safe for winching junk for jacking

Don't be tempted with cheep unrated shackles or chains
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Chambers wrote:
mark dale wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:

Nope, and if the components are up to a 3500 pull, then using a pulley, the load on the winch i halved for a given load, so in effect, less stress

it's 14'000 lbs not taking into acount the 8% reduction on each pulley wheel(leea recommended for calculations whilst designing a lifting system). you have 2 blocks so 3 wheels. the wiki drawing is like most things on there, its wrong.
the pulley on the pulling vehicle is a single sheave, the vehicle being pulled gets the double sheave and your wire is secured back to the pulling vehicle. so it's 14'000lbs - 3360lbs for your friction through the system = 10640lbs

hows about that for a smartars.e Wink
Pete Chambers

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 23:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

gegs750k4 wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:
mark dale wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:

it's 14'000 lbs not taking into acount the 8% reduction on each pulley wheel(leea recommended for calculations whilst designing a lifting system). you have 2 blocks so 3 wheels. the wiki drawing is like most things on there, its wrong.
the pulley on the pulling vehicle is a single sheave, the vehicle being pulled gets the double sheave and your wire is secured back to the pulling vehicle. so it's 14'000lbs - 3360lbs for your friction through the system = 10640lbs

so, approx 10500lbs, like i said  Smile

smartarse  Wink
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete Chambers wrote:
gegs750k4 wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:
mark dale wrote:
Pete Chambers wrote:

so, approx 10500lbs, like i said  Smile

smartarse  Wink

Does this mean everyone's right !!   Laughing  Question    

mark " win win win for all " dale
gegs750k4

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 0:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, ill take the 8% per pulley out and have 14'000lbs then bootyshake  Mr. Green

if you use and go off the drawing on wiki then it drops to 7980lbs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: