2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Vehicle height control

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajonty

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Vehicle height control Reply with quote

Hi there
How does the Ride height system work ??
Are there air bags at rear coil springs and Whats at the front?? been torsion bar I dont know how
that will work
I just fancy putting the system on my Shogun mk2 swb
Thanks
JONTY
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 20:47    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

stemac33

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi there as far as i know there is no ride height system on the shoguns.  There is a adjustable suspension on some but most have been taken off as the adjustable shocks are about £175+vat new from mitsi dealers and you tend to take your chance with second hand ones. Hth
ajonty

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 21:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
The idea is if not too complicated is to take the system off the donor car Pajero or Shogun and fit it to mine
sounds easy if I read it quick Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
JONTY
rich r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

The optional adjustable ride height on the Pajero (I've only ever seen it on petrol SWBs, but that's not to say it doesn't exist on diesels or LWBs) does indeed use compressed air to raise the chassis. If I can find the model code for one with it, then I'll look up the parts that are different.
Stutheitguy

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

My diesel shortie has a button for ride softness - but it's broken.

Also, the actuators on the top of the shocks have mostly fallen off and dangle free in the wind.

The LED's on the dash in the speedo read that the paj is riding in Soft, Medium and Hard! All at once! My ass has never known such comfort!

I'll be installed ironman / ome shockers when the time comes (probably soon...)
rich r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the adjustable suspension softness which most Pajeros have, being talked about, it's the adjustable height suspension. It's not that common, but was an option (might have been standard on some models).

You know if you've got it because there's a little picture of a Pajero on the rev counter with a light under it to indicate 'high' or 'normal' suspension height. It drops back to 'normal' above a certain speed.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want it, I want it, please where can I get it,  Cool  Very Happy  
I am of course speaking of adjustable height, Wink  before all the lewd remarks come flooding in. Rolling Eyes  Laughing
ajonty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:
The optional adjustable ride height on the Pajero (I've only ever seen it on petrol SWBs, but that's not to say it doesn't exist on diesels or LWBs) does indeed use compressed air to raise the chassis. If I can find the model code for one with it, then I'll look up the parts that are different.

Hi
So the height adjuster lifts the chassis and not the suspension I thought the system lifted the car with air bags in the rear coil springs and some sort of lever on the
Torsion bars up front
My car is a 3.5 swb Shogun 1994 auto
JONTY
ajonty

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOHHH I forgot
Tong pay and play is on this Sunday if any one is interested I am there already  Laughing  Laughing
JONTY
rich r

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

By lift the chassis I mean it lifts the chassis up on the suspension. Considering the wheels to be static, the suspension is static too, so you need to lift the chassis up from the top of the suspension. Just depends whether you look at the system from the point of view of the body or the ground I guess. I don't mean lift the body off the chassis.

Still trying to find parts diagrams - I know there's been lots of discussion of the system, so using the search facility at the top might help...
ajonty

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 13:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there
Well I am back on the Suspension lift stuff
[not the damper control ie s,m,h switch} This one lifts the car up 40mm? or so  
I have just got the LSD Diff fitted to the FRONT of my Shogun Very Happy  Very Happy
So back to the suspension project again
I found out that the system is on some of the MK2 SWBs Pajeros as an optional extra
So I am on a mission to find out the pros and cons   Smile  Smile
Any help would be cool Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool
Thanks
JONTY
andyn666

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 23:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry to butt in but where did you get a front lsd from?

Andy
ajonty

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyn666 wrote:
sorry to butt in but where did you get a front lsd from?

Andy
Hi there
Ebay a guy was breaking a Starion so I emailed him about the diff before he put it on ebay
rare item but there out there and worth it Major big improvment Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy
JONTY
stewjohnst
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 0:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about the Mitsy kit for the air suspension but aftermarkets do exist.

I was toying with it for the Paj and found this place

Www.airride.co.uk iirc. Can't vouch for their quality as not used them and it seems it can get quite expensive depending on how high/fast/often you want the kits to raise you.

I'd have thought a small compressor, like the one the rangies use would be good enough for the Paj, unless you're expecting to constantly be *beep* anout with the ride height for fun.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 1:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are very simple, they consist normally of a small 12v compressor with switch, reservoir, and the control system which can move between two or more fixed heights, or variable height which is infinate.

The coil springs are replaced with airbags, torsion bars usually have a fabrication to allow them to be removed, and airbags fitted as coil springs would be, and this adds expense but may be beneficial to most users.

There are currently two types of airbag commercially manufactured, type 1 is the basic bag which is raised and lowered by the compressed air as it is a single stage unit, and type 2 which an additional bladder to control the ride harshness of softness in addition to the ride height.

Many current manufacturer fitted systems have many problems, so what are they? RR systems suffer from nearly all of them, their compressors are cheap and nasty, and are prone to smashing their internal plastics and failing. Air lines have a nasty habit of shearing at their connections which are usually compression fittings, and if most (not all) airbags deflate you have to stop and have the vehicle recovered as driving on deflated bags will damage them beyond repair.
Cheaper airbags are coming onto the market from Asian countries, and these are of poor manufacture and material quality which makes them cheap and attractive to many retro-fit companies, and purchasers alike, and many aftermarket fitting companies go bust with the warranty claims.
Off roading is generally not good for air suspension, often the pipes are not protected and can burst or fracture easily, especially in extemely cold weather and the extreme flex of 4x4's.

If you buy air suspension, then follow the basic guidelines, stick to quality airbags from the top manufacturers, and buy on airbag quality, not price, cheaper units installers often go bust so the warranty is not worth the paper on which its written. Select an airbag which can be run while totally deflated, if you have a problem it means you gan get home or to a repairer, even if it is at low speeds.

Buy an appropriate compressor with receiver, do not  use second hand parts to save money, often these are the wrong flow and pressure for many airbags, and ensure the compressor is a quality brand.

Ensure all lines and fittings are of a good quality, and are fitted with full protection to prevent off road damage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: