Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

L200 Stuck in diff lock

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fantic303

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 13:01    Post subject: L200 Stuck in diff lock Reply with quote

Hi, im having trouble with my 2002 L200, when in 4 wheel drive (both high and low) the rear axle is stuck in diff lock, and the diff lock switch light flashes when you press it. However when in 2 wheel drive the diff is open as normal, ive tried disconecting the air feed and the sensor wiring on the axle but this hasnt helped,

If anyone has any ideas id be very greatful,
Thanks,
Oliver
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 13:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Rico

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 16:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure when in 4WD the rear diff lock is actually engaged? You'll know as it'll not be overly keen to turn? There'll be a rod on the diff that is activated by vacuum when you engage the rear diff - is this moving freely. I'm guessing as it's fine in 2WD it must be. I'm sure the rear diff can't be engaged when in 2WD. I wonder if you have a faulty switch?
fantic303

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes its definately in diff lock as ive had it on wet grass in 4wd on full lock and you can see the inside rear wheel scrubbing. What i cant work out is if the diff itself it not disengageing how come when you select 2 wheel drive its is working as an open diff again, and just spinning one wheel on the wet grass. I have even tried selecting 2wd, then getting under the truck and disconnecting the air feed and wiring on the axle, then selecting 4wd, but it still is scrubbing the inside wheel on full lock as if the diff is locked.
Rico

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 21:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not locking the rear diff 2wd then get under when in 4wd and disconnect the vacuum pipe and see what happens. I suspect it may be a switch prob though confess I'm still learning the ins and outs of Mitsu 4wd system.
Cavanmick

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong but im nearly sure its the centre diff thats locked when you engage 4x4 and this will cause the back wheels to scrub if they cant slip mate, these dont have a viscous centre diff so when you engage 4x4 it locks the centre.
Rico

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 21:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick is right. Like I said you for defo will know if it was the rear diff locker locked on.  When you press the button and it just flashes it means it's not engaging as it will go solid when it does. Mine on a shogun does that if not been used for a while.
Cavanmick

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2011 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could be a leak at the small pipe that engages the lock buddy, or as rico said earlier could be stuck from lack of use, try to work it a few times and see does it free out.
fantic303

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 12:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replys,

So is it normal for them to scrub in 4 wheel drive then, and the flashing light is just telling me the diff lock isnt engaging then. I will try working the diff lock actuator when i get the truck back, and see if it frees off, is it safe to use an air line off my compressor to do it instead of the air feed on the truck?
Cheers
Cavanmick

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate they will scrub tyres in 4wd, that's why it can't be used on tarmac, be wary of using a compressor to engage the diff, could be too much pressure, make site the on board compressor is working too.
fantic303

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2011 14:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah right thats notquite so bad then!, Il have a look and let you know how i get on, thanks for all the help!
fantic303

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2011 15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had another look, the diff lock is engaging when i connect the air line from my workshop compressor, and the on truck compressor is working as it should be, so i had a look at the diff lock detection switch  on the axle, i did a resistance check with the diff both manualy locked and unlocked using the air line, but no circuit was made. So i next decided to removed the switch form the axle, thinking this is the problem, but it is working fine when i test it and pull the switch open manually by hand.

However my next problem is how the hell do you get it back in the axle, as it has to sit behind the sliding diff lock collar, now when i try to refit it it locks the diff up by pushing on the sliding collar! I hope i dont have to take the diff out to get it back in? Any ideas?
Thanks
oldwhitelodge

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 16:18    Post subject: Diff lock detection switch Reply with quote

I have the same issue as the OLiver. Inserting the diff lock detection switch locks the diff. How do I get it BEHIND actuator? I know this is and old thread. Cheers. Chris
oldwhitelodge

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2023 16:19    Post subject: Diff lock detection switch Reply with quote

I have the same issue as the OLiver. Inserting the diff lock detection switch locks the diff. How do I get it BEHIND the actuator? I know this is and old thread. Cheers. Chris
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: