QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Khalifah

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think this is a good idea, but my pajero would not start afterwards after doing this, parked on a hill and the manual lifter pump was like a bicyclepump when i was gonna drive of later and car was much more difficult to start, it already uses a long time, but this time would almost drain batterys totaly and a can of startgas, i believe this was caused by about 400-450ml dot4 in 20L diesel, and also an injector cleaner from STP, have not bothered start it afterwards as the manual lifter pump is very easy to push down and i imagine standing all day to try to start again Razz
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2015 22:42    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Dave_1984

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2016 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all, I noticed this thread today and after taking my 2.5 1991 swb for mot today and the examiner refusing to carry out the test due to a major diesel leak.

I have taken the intercooler off and and can see that the leak is coming from the seal on the top plate. Originally I thought it could have been the feed pipe with the sandwiched copper gaskets but no such luck. It seems to be coming out from all angles around that seal, completely soaking the engine. I have put some dot 4 in the tank along with approx an 1/8 of a tank of fuel.

I've only driven Approx 8 miles but the leak is definitely still there but seems to have reduced. I'll keep you updated with its progress.

I did wonder what the fuel light looks like on these and where it is located? My needle is nearly at the bottom and no sign of it coming on yet...  I have only had the car a couple of weeks and I'm not familiar with everything quite yet.. Don't really fancy running out of fuel!

Regards
Dave.
Dave_1984

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update, I done this trick around a month ago and 2000 km later and it seems to have solved the problem, at least for now. If it does start to leak again I will have to rebuild the injector pump but for now everything is just fine. Smile
commando750

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 19:55    Post subject: 2.8td fuel pump leak. Reply with quote

Ok - got the dreaded drips from pump.

Made big patch on concrete drive - but probably looked worse than it is !

Had almost full tank diesel but poured in all DOT4 that I had (approx 200ml).
Having re-read these posts , should have been 500ml to a quarter tank !
So probably too weak , but..........
after about 100kms (live in France) seems to have stopped !

I am not technically minded , but could it be that Brake fluid is "heavier " than diesel
so sinks to bottom of tank before mixing ?

Will check again when down to a quarter tank  before adding more.

Question though - the only DOT4 I can find here is synthetic rather than mineral,
so will this still work ?

Hope someone can advise.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 20:13    Post subject: Re: 2.8td fuel pump leak. Reply with quote

commando750 wrote:
Ok - got the dreaded drips from pump.

Made big patch on concrete drive - but probably looked worse than it is !

Had almost full tank diesel but poured in all DOT4 that I had (approx 200ml).
Having re-read these posts , should have been 500ml to a quarter tank !
So probably too weak , but..........
after about 100kms (live in France) seems to have stopped !

I am not technically minded , but could it be that Brake fluid is "heavier " than diesel
so sinks to bottom of tank before mixing ?

Will check again when down to a quarter tank  before adding more.

Question though - the only DOT4 I can find here is synthetic rather than mineral,
so will this still work ?

Hope someone can advise.

If the pump has stopped leaking, personally I wouldn't add more brake fluid.  I'd wait to see if it starts leaking again.

Can't comment on types of brake fluid.
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOT 3 will work just the same.  A weaker dose will take longer to soak into the rubber, soften and expand it, so this repair can last for years.
Glenmidge

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 17:56    Post subject: Help!!!!!!! Reply with quote

Hi all,

Having read through this thread to help sort out the leaking diesel I had a go with 500ml of Dot4 brake fluid with fuel gauge just above empty. Oh dear!!! All went well for 5 miles then conked out. When I start it now it revs up to about 5000 rpm and as soon as I take my foot off accelerator it dies. So quickly go from park to drive whilst accelerating and it drives ok but with high reeves. Have I completely goosed my engine? I'm gutted, thought I'd found a nice cheap easy fix. It's now in my local garage and they think it probably need a re con fuel pump.
drew m

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 23:12    Post subject: Brake fluid in diesel Reply with quote

Hi
Just wondered if anyone had tried this fix in a 3.2, as it can have pump problems aswell
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2016 1:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

those pumps are made of cheese so probably not.
bukol

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 9:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucky that I have seen this topic minutes before I took of the pump. works with my paj
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
Page 8 of 8

Jump to: