Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

leaking fuel pump 2.8 diesel quick fix

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
coulchie1234

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

morning one( -2 outside ), truck started first touch of the key and did not cut out, will have to give it a lot more mornings to see how it gets on but i can say for certin that the tick over is way better the cabbin dose not tave that slight vibration all trough it ,seemed to drive very nice as well at lower speeds, will keep posts coming
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It all depends on the overnight temperature and how cold it is, i seen this a million times, the symptoms go as the weather warms but the problem remains.
big_yin

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

U must admit mark it works but only for a short time.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, or maybe it was just a bit warmer where he lives last night, lol
Jim Pike

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well guys, it's 6 days since I treated mine to the dot 4
I did have to replace the Glow plugs but needed doing anyway.
Got through around £50 diesel since,  just a bit more then I will fill up and change filter.
Truck has been running superb, better than she has any time in the last 7 years, smooth tickover, no shaking.  I think the dot4 must give a bit of a clean to the fuel system that's all I can think.  I know it is only a temp fix, and will do seal when weather warms up a bit.

There is also conflicting views on wether you can blank the egr on my model or not, I think it is only half way to neing full electronic, has 2 plugs down the side and 2 vacumn type units on egr  and 1 wiring plug. Surely if you blank it and leave plug connected the thing still gets signal so all seems ok as far as that is concerned, and will still think all is ok so carry on working.
Maybe I don't know what I am talking about. That Figures.

Cheers Guys
coulchie1234

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day two shogun started first touch and kept running with no problems at all. Did a 200 mile trip and the truck is running superb, like Jim Pyke has said the tick over is way better, i carry around tool boxes fold up ladder and so on in the back and normally on tickover the rattle and make a lot of noise but today nothing at all, i also find the truck is pulling a lot better in 5 gear and i hardly had to change down at all today on back roads, early days i know but so far so good.
coulchie1234

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 22:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

have done a few hundered miles now and still starting and driving perfect
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 18:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats good, well done.
roukel01

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2013 19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just had a go at this tip, mine's a little lazy to start in the morning so we'll see what happens tomorrow morning.....

do we know if doughnut's Pajero is still running smoothly ?
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 16:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys
Well finally got round to doing pump seal. It is an elctronic pump and seems to be bigger than some I have seen in pictures on this site.
Garage owner friend of mine gave me space insde his garage to do it, Started at 3.30pm stopped at 6pm we both went for food etc restarted at 9.15pm turned key at appx 1.30am. Started no problem timing bang on. That was Friday night into Saturday, left it there and returned Saturday 10am and she started and run great. This morning fired up first click and I drove off straight away (fingers crossed ) but no problems no cutting out.

But what an absolute pig of a job, combination of step ladder and kneeling on the front panel just to be able to reach down to the pump. took off more than was needed but also needed the room to get in, Feels like I have bruised my chest by leaning accross the front panel, Bruising and knocks to my arm and back of hand, My garage owner friend gave me a lot of  help, he took over when it came to marking up and removing pump. took around 4 or 5 minutes before we were bolting pump back in.
Changed diesel filter before everything went back together (the diesel in it was black which proves that dot4 does not work for long, so don't bother trying it cos it can cause more problems )
If I had to do the job again (I hope never, carry on v8rick and mark1 ) I could probably trim an hour or so off the time, But what would have been of more help is a platform about 12 inches high around front and side of the motor.

Now need to address the problem of tickover when warm, as we know edc pumps have a problem but its not all the time. I have to look at resetting the throttle cable and kickdown as they have both been removed to do the seal. Then next job is to flush out heater matrix.

Jim
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to read you have it sorted Jim, as for the aches and pains getting older and doing a job like this does,nt help  Sad

..., Wink
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2013 21:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ken

Your dead right there, old joints are not for getting into the positions needed for removing a pump. Biggest ache by far has to be my knees, when leaning accross you are forcing your knee joint backwards. god who would be a mechanic (Just the oil that I can't get off my hands is bad enough)

I was lucky to have a good mate who has his own workshop and MOT bay, he usually works until midnight or so, he even does MOTs in the evening.

Glad its done and I did it  Very Happy

Get back to doing some proper work now, I'm a paving contractor by trade, laying paving slabs (yea 3x2s  also) and blockpaving and all associated works,  I would rather do that than be a mechanic.

Jim
toilet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, judging from all the positive feedback, should I go ahead and pour some dot4 in my nearly empty tank?

The car does NOT have a front pump seal leak problem but it eats fuel like crazy (all city driving, getting about 12 mpg) and shakes pretty badly at idle. It has done about 105,500km and I got it at 103,000km. However, it starts up EVERY time and does NOT use oil.

I would do this only as a precautionary measure as seemingly, it reseats the pump seal and well, prevents errors from arising later.

Wouldn't hurt right?
Jim Pike

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

toilet you said it yourself, your pump has no leaks and starts first turn of the key.
So why would you want to put dot4 in, it doesn.t reseat the seal,  it potentially melts the rubber a bit so it seals a bit better, by doing that it shortens its life and you will then HAVE to do the seal. You also can't be certain at this stage that the seal has not allready been done.
I am assuming that it is a 2.8 you have
Be better off giving it a service and maybe injector cleaner and see what you have after that.
Don't get me wrong I did it to mine but my seal was shot completly and by the time I did the seal the dot4 benefits were starting to wear off so it would have been off the road.

JIM
toilet

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roger that sire Jim. I shall stay away from the temptation of dot4ing the currently fine 2.8td 1995 shorty that I own. The science behind it as you describe it paints a very bad picture. And yes, I CANT be sure that the seals are already done. Perhaps they have been.

So I shall resort to 'tightening' my 4x4 through other more traditional means. Full intercooler, turbo, rocker cover, egr valve, injector + fuel pump service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: