Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

I have just transormed my Shogun sport!! :)

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DAZ270

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24    Post subject: I have just transormed my Shogun sport!! :) Reply with quote

I have just totally transformed my 2.5td shogun sport Warrior!!
The car always felt pretty sluggish since owning it, with the slight hesitating problem from 2500rpm upwards (especially if flooring it), I thought it was maybe just because it was a lowish powered diesel engine, and thats just the way it was!
I gave mine a full service on thursday, engine flush, oil change, changed fuel, air and oil filters, and added a bottle of STP fuel treatment.
The car was slightly improved, but still hesitating.
Yesterday I took the EGR valve off and thorougly cleaned that. Once replaced I went for a drive, bottom end felt much more responsive but still had the hesitating at 2500 - 3000rpm upwards.
So next I reduced the boost pressure with the upper of the two screws on the turbo (as mentioned on other posts). I started 1/4 turn at a time and went for a drive. Everytime I drove the car I got more of an improvement. I believe it took me about 8-10 times of winding the screw in 1/4 turn at a time before I got it perfect! (Approx two-three full turns of the screw!) But WOW  Shocked  Now is it great to drive!!  Very Happy  Cool
I picked the wife up from work last night and let her drive it home, and she could not believe the difference!!  Laughing
It must have been hugely overboosting before, it felt terrible to drive in comparison to now!

I'm very happy I found this forum! There's so much useful free information at your disposal. Im not a mechanic, yet I've sorted all the mechanical niggles and issues on the truck since buying it thanks to this website!
I dread to think how much I would had to have shelled out if I had got all of these little issues sorted out by a garage!  Confused

Thanks POCUK!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Last edited by DAZ270 on Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:35; edited 1 time in total
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

DawnH
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow!!!! glad you got her sorted!!!! Cool  Cool  Cool this club is special isn't it!!!! Wink  Cool  Cool  Cool  Cool
twice_nightly

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 15:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting this as my 2.5td sport drives like yours used to do by the sound of things. I too have serviced the car and blanked off my EGR valve, even added a ralliart upgrade box but the thing is still reluctant to go. Mine doesn't rev passed 3000rpm, when you set off you go up through the gears but every time you have to change before 3000rpm, it just feels strangled at that point.

Did you turn the top screw in the way, i.e clockwise then?
DAZ270

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes mate turn the top screw in, clockwise. I undone the bolt on the exhaust heatshield nearest the turbo, you can then pull the heat shield back just enough to get on to the top screw. Then screw from heat shield towards engine. I gave the screw a good blob of wd40 half hour before trying to adjust it!
I had to turn it in quite a few times approx 2.5 turns, (1/4 turns at a time though then test drive to see how it feels) I'm probably only a couple of turns away from running out of thread completley on The screw now! But it drives fantastic! Very smooth and responsive, and a nice little bit of oomf now! I'm not even running the power upgrade! You shud be able to notice a very big difference once adjusted Properly on yours!

Let us know how you get on.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this just apply to the 2.5's?
DAZ270

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

vijay wrote:
Does this just apply to the 2.5's?

Someone else will have to answer that for you. I've only read on here about it being a common problem on the 2.5 shogun sports. I'm not sure about other models I'm afraid.
maximus999

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys   dont forget there is also a bottom bolt!!!  the top one adjusts the max boost  but the winner for all you towing guys out there is the lower bolt aswell. If you screw the bottom bolt clockwise (inwards) this will increase the boost at low revs, i.e you get instant boost at little throttle.
vijay

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone post the link to the post that explains all this
JYANSEN

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2011 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there i have a mitsubishi shogun sport warrior 2005 and am new to the world of mechanics, please could someone provide a step by step guide on removing the EGR valve and adjusting the boost screw everyone is talking about. Some pictures would be very helpful as well. Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
vijay

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 9:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Have a look in the EGR section, plenty on removing/cleaning and blanking Wink

Vijay
Guvnorrbm

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not 100% sure on this but...

Im sure when I was looking for a Sport, I read that the newer turbo diesel ones throw a right hissy fit if your remove the EGR, I'll have a dig around see if I can find any thing on it
JYANSEN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 10:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guvnorrbn, ive looked on the site and there is loads of information on the EGR valve but they all seem to be for the older models and not the newer models, i was allready to have a go at blanking it off this week but luckily someone said i could not do it on my Shogun as it will go into limp mode. It has now made me a bit hesitent to do anything without being able to have a guide to go off, and preferably some pictures. Confused  Confused  Confused
JYANSEN

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 11:01    Post subject: Re: I have just transormed my Shogun sport!! :) Reply with quote

DAZ270 wrote:
I have just totally transformed my 2.5td shogun sport Warrior!!
The car always felt pretty sluggish since owning it, with the slight hesitating problem from 2500rpm upwards (especially if flooring it), I thought it was maybe just because it was a lowish powered diesel engine, and thats just the way it was!
I gave mine a full service on thursday, engine flush, oil change, changed fuel, air and oil filters, and added a bottle of STP fuel treatment.
The car was slightly improved, but still hesitating.
Yesterday I took the EGR valve off and thorougly cleaned that. Once replaced I went for a drive, bottom end felt much more responsive but still had the hesitating at 2500 - 3000rpm upwards.
So next I reduced the boost pressure with the upper of the two screws on the turbo (as mentioned on other posts). I started 1/4 turn at a time and went for a drive. Everytime I drove the car I got more of an improvement. I believe it took me about 8-10 times of winding the screw in 1/4 turn at a time before I got it perfect! (Approx two-three full turns of the screw!) But WOW  Shocked  Now is it great to drive!!  Very Happy  Cool
I picked the wife up from work last night and let her drive it home, and she could not believe the difference!!  Laughing
It must have been hugely overboosting before, it felt terrible to drive in comparison to now!

I'm very happy I found this forum! There's so much useful free information at your disposal. Im not a mechanic, yet I've sorted all the mechanical niggles and issues on the truck since buying it thanks to this website!
I dread to think how much I would had to have shelled out if I had got all of these little issues sorted out by a garage!  Confused

Thanks POCUK!  Very Happy  Very Happy  Very Happy

Hi there, i have a 2005 mitsubishi shogun sport warrior and am having the same problems as you had, could you please send me a step by step guide on how you disconnected and cleaned the EGR Valve, also where these screws are you are on about. Some pictures showing where the screws are located and the EGR valve would be very helpful aswell. Im good at D.I.Y but a complete novice at mechanics. Thanks Jay.
DAZ270

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JYANSEN,

The EGR valve is on the top of the engine and easy to remove and refit.
Unscrew the four bolts marked with the yellow arrows (They may be quite tight).

You will also need to remove the plug on the EGR sensor and there is a small vacuum pipe that pulls off too, (both are marked with the red arrows).
When you remove the EGR valve a metal gasket will come away too, which you want to keep and refit once the EGR valve has been cleaned.
I removed the 3 screws holding the black plastic part of the EGR valve (where the sensor plugs in) also. Once the EGR valve was at this stage I got a small container, filled it will petrol and plonked the EGR valve in it.
I probably left it in the petrol for about 30 minutes then I just gave it a good clean with an old tooth brush until all the grime and soot was removed!
Once cleaned I refitted The EGR valve, Don't forget to refit the metal gasket, and the vacuum pipe and sensor!
These pictures should help!

Before cleaning..

And After..

(Regarding the Turbo) Ok if you are under the bonnet of your shogun, looking at the engine, the turbo is located on your left side. As you look down onto the top of the turbo you will see two allen key headed bolts. As Pointed out by the blue arrow below..

The top one is the only one I've adjusted so far. I sprayed the screw on the turbo in wd40 first, before attempting to adjust it. Once you've given the wd40 5 minutes, wind the top screw on the turbo in (clockwise) 1/4 of a turn. Take the car for a drive and see how it feels. Keep adjusting 1/4 of a turn at a time and test driving each time until the engine pulls freely through the revs. I wound mine in about two and a half turns in the end before it felt really right!
To make access to the turbo screws easier I found removing the retaining bolt on the exhast heat shield (nearest the turbo screws) alowed me to pull the heat shield back slightly and out of the way so you can get onto the turbo screws. They are a little bit fiddly to adjust, but well worth the effort!

I plan on winding the bottom screw in a little on mine too to see if that makes any improvement on the bottom end of the rev range, but I havn't got round to it yet.

Just try adjusting the top screw first and see how you get on.

Good luck and hope this helps make things easier!  Wink
DAZ270

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 20:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also reccomend running some STP injector cleaner through your engine if you havn't done it before!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: