2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

I have just transormed my Shogun sport!! :)

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
webcrafty

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 22:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ian,  I have changed a lot of the vacuum pipes but it could be one of the ones I haven't.  I looked at your other post, I'm not that well up on vacuum stuff, I don't even know where to look for the mail pipe, but I'll give everything a good check over and see how it goes.
Thanks.
John
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 22:33    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

webcrafty

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,  how do I test for vacuum through pipes and pump. I don't have a vacuum tester, is there any home made do-da I could make up.

Thanks
John
ian wheele

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't need one mate. Just pop the vac tubes from the components- egr and turbo actuator
rod and see if they're sucking.
I started at the pump on the alternator and worked my way up but it doesn't
Really matter. As long as they are all producing vacuum .
ian wheele

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi John,
just a couple of pics of my turbo settings
first one, engine off

second one, engine idling

don't be concerned about the strange looking bolts, they are only M5 roofing bolts (still 5mm, B&Q or any hardware shop). changed them because the threads were in much better condition
and it was easier to count the no. of ridges each bolt is set at. plus the mushroom head makes them easier to adjust with fingertips, rather
than having to mess about trying to get a 5mm allen key in there, as well as a 10mm open ender, and my hands !
wouldn't say they are set precisely yet, but not too far away.plus at the minute i'm doing an mpg check using the calculator in the main tech section, so i'm not belting it around !

had any luck with your sport ?

regards   Ian
webcrafty

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Ireland we call them Gutter bolts !, Used for every job under the sun !!

Im heading out now to spend another few hours of looking aimlessly under the bonnet, I'll start as you said at the pump, I'll get some more vacuum pipe to check the vacuum on the pipes, I look a little silly trying to get my lips round pipes with my legs dangling in the air.
Those switches that are attached to the Vacuum pipes, One on the rocker cover and the other on the bulk head at the back of the intercooler, if I disconnect the vacuum pipes should I feel suction on the little stubby pipe coming out of the switch.

Thanks for the help
John
webcrafty

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have lost the will to live now, having a bit of a mental breakdown now.

Checked and rechecked all vacuum pipes (should I be able to feel suction on them, I couldn't ??), Disconnected the battery to see if that would reset the EML and it did but even though the 4x4 revs out through all gears it still feels like I have to drive the S**T out of it to get any where. There is just no grunt, I had an L200 before the Sport and it pulled great but I know that when I put my 12 x 6 Ivor Williams on the back of this pajero it will lie down completely.

I'm thinking the only thing for it is a visit to the dealer for a check first and go from there.

Very upset now, think its time for several beers to calm down !!!.
ian wheele

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi John,
the vacuum should be felt coming from the rubber vacuum tubes,when the engine is idling. its the vacuum that operates the small switches (make /break)
only really need to check one, vac tube- if its producing vacuum then they all are (in my experience).
did you get any further with checking the belt timing ?(as originally posted  Smile )

regards    Ian.
webcrafty

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 11:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't done anything with the belt timing but now the fan belts (I think) are squealing on start up and for a few mins after, they were new last October but the 4x4 was off the road till I bought it a few weeks ago, they look ok but I'll replace them when I get time and I can have a look at the timing marks better then.  

Its reading almost 14V in the dash and its a new battery last week so I hope its just the belts.
Haven't looked at the alternator yet, Is there 1or 2 bolts at the bottom and then the one on the side with the tension bolt attached that I need to loosen or do I need to do more to fit the belts.

Anyway, I'll do a smoke test on some of the vacuum pipes when the wind dies down, and the rain, and the hail stones (summer my *beep* !)

I'm also going to do the diffs, gear box and transfer box oils, the whole 4x4 just seems to be rough, that might help a little. Would 80/90 GL5 be ok in all. I can get it at work for free !

I'll let you know if I have anymore luck, or breakdowns !, Me not the 4x4.

Thanks
John
ian wheele

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi John

the belts may just need a bit of tension in them. think its only 2 bolts at the bottom and then just nip the adjuster bolt up at bit.
try 1/4 inch or so at a time. may not need much.

may not need to do the smoke test if you are getting vacuum,pull a vac tube off when the lump is idling and see if its sucking!

lastly, have no idea about gearbox oils or diff lubes, haven't gone that far into mine yet.sure there's a post in the main section which would help .
wouldn't want to give you wrong info !

keep on keeping on mate !

regards   Ian.
webcrafty

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I did take several pipes off when ticking over but I couldn't feel much vacuum, I tried a tissue at the end to see if the pipe would suck it but it didn't. I wasn't expecting Dyson power but I'm sure it should pull a tissue in from 10mm away.

I could well be without vacuum still.

5 min break for a fag......

Put the end of the fag to 3 different vacuum pipes and it would even suck the smoke back in.

So this is the problem I hope, I'll get the main pipe of the pump as soon as I can, there should be good suction there and if there is it will be a case of tracing the whole lot then. If not i'm in bother !.

Does the breather pipe going in to the back of the rocker cover suck or blow or whaaa ??.

There is a little stubby pipe on the back of the alternator at the pump with a small black rubber cap on it, wonder whats that for ?.

Sorry for all the questions, I may have to bite the bullet and bring it to a garage.

thanks
John
webcrafty

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well after another 4 or 5 fag breaks I have found that there is good vacuum at the turbo actuator. this is a good sign ???.

engine management light was off last night after I disconnected the battery for a few mins, off today when I done 2x 3 mile trips (kids to school), Now for no reason its back on again and all I done was pull off a few vacuum pipes, yes they are back on properly. I'm F**K*D if I can figure this out.

Back to the drawing board,
to be continued....................................
webcrafty

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine management light off all day today, the fever is dissipating, its getting better I think,
Still very bad power so I think its time to adjust the turbo again.

Here's hoping.......
ian wheele

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

good news then John. not before time.....!

set it up to the mitzi doc, 9 on the top, 1 on the bottom will be a good start.

ps..the engine breather neither sucks or blows, it just helps to equalise the pressure between the top and bottom halves of the engine.

also, not certain about the stubby take off pipe on the alternator. may be for an optional factory extra, but you should be able to take the cap off and check vacuum at the pump end .

regards     Ian.
webcrafty

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 12:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ian,
I will try those settings later today, what about the actuator arm, should I leave it at the factory settings, i.e Left - 2.5 threads and Right - 3 threads ??.
I think I might change my fuel filter again because when I put it on two weeks ago I took it off again to check why the primer wouldn't lift the diesel and I may have damaged the seal, its a long shot but even though the eml is out now it feels a bit like there is air getting in somewhere.

I cant feel a lot of suction from the stubby pipe on the pump but I can hear it hissing (not sure if its sucking or blowing) for a second or two when I take it off, I'll check this again later too.

I might also take off the rocker cover to at some stage, although I know the pipe to that cover is ok I seen a lot of threads about blocked filters inside where the pipe goes on.

First stop, Turbo and fuel filter, I'll let you know what happens.

Thanks for all the help.

John
webcrafty

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 13:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so here's todays update.

Took the 4x4 and 12' x 6'6" ivor Williams trailer to a concrete plant about 12 miles away.
Engine light is off at this stage and I adjusted the turbo (again) yesterday to the Mitsi Manual Settings.
Also changed fuel filter (again), thought the seal at the top might be drawing in air.

On the way empty I could tell it was only a matter of time before the EML came back on, the 4x4 seems to have the power there somewhere but It now just feels like its spluttering and farting like its taking in air somewhere. I primed the filter when I changed it and she started up no problem, few like coughs but nothing out of the ordinary.

Anyway, loaded up the concrete (1 ton) should be no problem for the 4x4, my little berlingo has no trouble with the same trailer and weight. Well you would think i had about 5 trailers on it. useless ! and as soon as I started it after loading the EML is back on, you would think it knew what was coming !

The 4x4 is just stuttering away without much power, feels like its a starvation of fuel. It also seems like something that would happen with dirty fuel but the filter I took off was as clean as a whistle.

I think the Mitsi garage is the only answer. It breaks my heart to have to go but I dont think there is anything else for it.

Depressed !!! Crying or Very sad  Crying or Very sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Challenger / Sport discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9

Jump to: