eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

3.2 Di-D Upper Timing Chain Guide Shock

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sierra bravo

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:20    Post subject: Dealer price on replacing top guide!!!! Made me laugh ;) Reply with quote

Hello Steve

Thanks for the update.

The component you need is the guide priced at £10.08 + VAT.

In replacing this component we would need to replace the EGR Valve gasket, the EGR pipe gasket, the Rocker Cover Gasket and the seals on the rocker cover bolts.

The break down is:
Parts       - £57.98
Labour     - 105.00

Sub Total -  £162.98
VAT         -   £32.60

TOTAL     -  £195.58

Regards

Service Manager
GMD Car Sales

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, May 06, 2014 3:17 PM
Subject:

On 6 May 2014, at 12:31,

Hi Richard
Thanks for the reply regarding the nylon top cover guide, £1130 seems a little high considering the part I need from mitsubishi is £25.
Please advise?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Sierra bravo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The above was 2 emails from a local dealers while I tried to source the replacement top cover guide, first email quoted me £1130!!! After I composed myself to ask again I was quoted nearly £200 for a part that costs £10????

Needless to say I'm not booking my car in with them and in still in the search for the bits needed.
Bigned

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 2:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its any help i got the parts from Teeside mitusubishi in Darlington, good price and quick delivery
Sierra bravo

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bigned, will give them a bell to order.

Did you manage to fit your yourself or have someone do it??
Just curious as I ain't got much if a tool kit at home Sad
Bigned

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 2:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Managed to do it myself. took a couple of hours. I found the biggest pain was having to remove and refitt the fuel pipes from the rail.
Take pics to keep yourself right when putting back togther. Its worth cleaning the EGR valve when its off, mine was full of *beep*
bazza1

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 15:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

what sort of mileage should these guides be replaced as my truck has done 137.000 miles?
Bigned

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine had done just over 100k when i changed it, the old guide was still in good condition. Changed it just in case, I think the guides on the mk4 are stronger but not sure. There is loads of info on here, small cost for peace of mind
legalexec

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 13:46    Post subject: Timing chain replacement Reply with quote

My English mechanic here in France has been speaking with Mitsubishi UK regarding a engine rebuild after the chain disintegrated, and was advised that Mitsubishi are now recommending that the chain and guides should be replaced after 85,000 miles, they stressed it was just the 3.2did engine chain and guides that are subject to replacement.

Food for thought for all!!!!
Mano

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 15:13    Post subject: Chain Guide Reply with quote

Did mine today on my 100,000 mile SWB van. Guide was in very good condition though not sure if it has been changed in the past as worryingly, one of the bolts holding the guide on was finger loose. It might be my imagination but i thought the engine sounded quieter afterwards. Easy enough job all the same. Very Happy
dingers1

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2014 16:26    Post subject: Timing Chain Guide Reply with quote

Hi

I am just getting organised to do my chain guide. From the Mitsy agent that was the easy, part about £13 for the guide. Cheap skate that I am, I was quoted at about £20 for rocker cover, not bad and £4.87 for each bolt sealer, eight required which I bulked at.
A local motor factor has quoted £27 for gasket (part ADC 4627) and believes this includes the bolt seals.
Would be obliged if anyone can give guidance on this and also the EGR valve gasket and EGR pipe gasket, part numbers, costs, etc.
Thanks for that,

dingers1
Mark 3, 2002, 3.2 , DiD LW
Blitz

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 22:39    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Recently purchased a 2003 shogun 3.2 did
Joined this group and decided first job was to replace the top guide.

The plastic part was totally missing. Lucky escape it didn't do any damage
The chain had cut half way through the metal part. May be this time luck could have run out and this part could have wrote off my engine.

If your in any doubt please change this part.

Thank you members
dingers1

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 19:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I took off the valve/rocker cover and exposed the notorious upper chain guide. Yes, it was worn with the plastic gone and a slight groove showing on the metal bracket. From what I can see of the chain it doesn’t appear to have suffered any ill effects, so at 140,000 miles I guess I’m lucky as well.
However, putting on the new guide I was surprised how much it pushed down on the chain from the onset. I’ve got no idea how much the chain actually moves out of alignment but I assume it’s mostly a lateral movement with a certain amount of bounce. So I get the impression at present it’s more of a restraint than a guide and actually wonder if it’s worth lifting the bracket and plastic a couple of mm off the chain to lessen the immediate wear on the sacrificial plastic surface.  I did wonder if I had the wrong part but checked it out and it’s correct.
Have I got the wrong the idea of what the chain guide is meant to do?

dingers1
Mark 3, 2002, 3.2 , DiD LW
titan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2015 19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

good write up guys, my first concern when buying a car is timing belts etc but i didnt realise it was a chain in this engine now i know what im doing tomorrow.

thanks
Ginger_brown

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 12:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm calling round getting quotes and it seems this part has almost doubled in price.

£113.50?

Plus 1.5 hrs labour?  

£265 supplied and fitted?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2015 13:02    Post subject: Re: Timing Chain Guide Reply with quote

From the post above

dingers1 wrote:

about £13 for the guide.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: