QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

STUCK SCREWS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:18    Post subject: STUCK SCREWS Reply with quote

Stuck Screws:

We all get them, particularly in light and other plastic fittings, so how do we get them out:

Normally I drill them out with a 2mm carbide drill, then move up in size to just remove the head only, with the head removed you remove whatever you want to remove such as the light lens for example, get mole grips on the stub and wind them out.

Get similar screws or self tapping screws in stainless steel as they are cheap, fir the item such as the lens back in place and fit the new screws to tap new holes.

Remove each screw individually and fill the new hole with petroleum jelly and also coat the thread and the underside of the head of the screw with the jelly and refit, repeat with all the other screws.

No more stuck screws in plastic fittings ever again, so when that bulb blows you know you can change it easily.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for the tip. I've got various bits of trim to remove on my Challenger, and the screws are rock solid. I'll adopt your method.

Simon

1997 2.8 Auto Challenger
stevep197

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find sometimes if a screw wont undo I try to tighten it a tiny bit and then unscrew, kind of like when you tap a threaded hole, sometimes it works but then sometimes I end up drilling it out..
Roadrunner2110

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 23:41    Post subject: Re: STUCK SCREWS Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Stuck Screws:

We all get them, particularly in light and other plastic fittings, so how do we get them out:

Normally I drill them out with a 2mm carbide drill, then move up in size to just remove the head only, with the head removed you remove whatever you want to remove such as the light lens for example, get mole grips on the stub and wind them out.

Get similar screws or self tapping screws in stainless steel as they are cheap, fir the item such as the lens back in place and fit the new screws to tap new holes.

Remove each screw individually and fill the new hole with petroleum jelly and also coat the thread and the underside of the head of the screw with the jelly and refit, repeat with all the other screws.

No more stuck screws in plastic fittings ever again, so when that bulb blows you know you can change it easily.

X1 or alternatively after getting the old screws out I spray the hole and new screw with Castrol chain wax or another proprietry chain wax. Good stuff that chain wax  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Top tips All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: