Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Tyre Pressures when Towing a trailer or caravan ...

Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnyb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:31    Post subject: Tyre Pressures when Towing a trailer or caravan ... Reply with quote

What is the correct tyre pressure when towing a trailer or caravan ?

Hello Chaps,
I have a 95 exceed LWB and tow a Swift Challenger 470/2SE, i have just had x4 General grabbers AW 265x70x16 fitted, the bloke who fitted them said ' you don't want more than 30psi in the rear ones if you are towing' is that right? They look a little flat to me!  Can any of you experts help me out? ROLL ON ABINGDON.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 12:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

darren

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,johnyb sounds about right to me ,i've got the same size tyres and have them all at 32psi when i'm pulling my van Smile done this now for 2 years on the same tyres and they are fine Wink Very Happy
TRayner

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 8:29    Post subject: Rear Tyre Pressure when Towing caravan Reply with quote

I have the same size tyre as yourself and keep my pressures at 30psi all round, seems a smooth ride and the tyres are wearing evenly
kevslh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 0:35    Post subject: Which Suspension mode & tyre pressures when towing Reply with quote

Hi Guys

Could anyone tell me which is the best suspension mode to use when towing a caravan, soft, medium or hard, also what tyre pressures should I use.
Driving solo I have 30 psi all round.

I have a Pajero 1993 2.5 TD Exceed LWB.
Any help would be appreciated.
Kev
nz3500

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try and see what works for you. I lifted my pressures to 35psi for my summer of towing the boat but have gone back to below 30 as it made no appreciable difference to the car handling and I was getting centre tyre wear. Have tried all suspension settings and normal is fine although if an undulating surface hard can be better but then you get the jiggles. I now just leave it on normal.
I do not have a lot of drawbar weight so you may need to do some testing. To be on the safe side the traditional advice would be to go up 2-5psi.
rickladds
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 9:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually leave the rear tyres at 30 psi, and play with the suspension switch for something to do while pootling along the motorway at the legal 60 mph. Very Happy Honest officer!

To be honest I've never really noticed much difference with the shocker switch!
Hawaii

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although doesn't make a lot of difference I put an extra 2psi in the rears (taking to 32psi)
I also put the shockers on hard

never had a prob with tyre wear/vibration/snaking and feels very stable - able to maintain a steady 60 (honest officer)

Hope this helps

ta

Hawaii
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 12:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have mine set on 32psi rear and suspension set to hard whilst towing Exclamation
kevslh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 20:35    Post subject: Suspension & psi Reply with quote

Thanks Guys

I will try 32psi and see how it feels.
Cheers
Kev
GeoffL

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 6:50    Post subject: tyre pressures for towing ... Reply with quote

mg2589 wrote:
Looked on the European Mitsbishi site and they sell the Pajero in France. is this the same car as we import?

No - the French one's left-hand drive. Suzanne (of Red Pennant) claimed that it's different enough for them not to be able to get parts abroad.

mg2589 wrote:
Does any body know the correct tyre presures for 265/70/R15 and do you put them up to tow with? 8)

You'll get some good info if you search these forums for "tyre pressure". However, AFAICT, most use 30 psi all round but some up the rears to 32 psi for towing. FWIW, I use 30 psi all round whether solo or towing (but my caravan is only 1150 kg MTPLM with a noseweight of 70 kg).

HTH,
point blank
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also use 30 psi solo or towing and have never had any problems with handling etc.
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to increase the pressures in my rear tyres to 32psi when towing Exclamation
bill_t

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 23:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I leave my pressures at 30psi all round wether solo or towing, no problems yet!!
mg2589

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 22:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all

PS how do you get the great pictures on your replys. I want to put a picture of my paj on but it wont down load?
mg2589

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2005 22:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might make everyone laugh or cry!! anyone know how many miles to the gallon I can expect when towing? Question
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Towing & technical All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: