2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

brake caliper full service..step by step

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4B

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

errrrr sorry
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 22:19    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alan_1969

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 20:18    Post subject: Caliper Dust Seal Reply with quote

Fest- Cheers mate

Although I have a single pot caliper looks installation of the clip on the outside of the boot as per your picture will work.

Should have replacement caliper boots this week so Ill let you know how I get on.

Ill included some photo's

Thanks again
Juzzie

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to change the pads in the spring and while I'm at it, I think I'll change the seals etc too.  I'm nervous about using WD40 as a lubricant. When I used to do this on my old Kawasaki GPz550, I used to just rub a little brake fluid on the rubber seals to help them pop in. Surely that can't attack the rubber as the seal is there in the first place to stop the brake fluid?

However, I've just bought a small pot of red rubber grease off of flea-bay as that's seems to be the appropriate stuff to use.

Bellflower

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

New caliper from Milners £105 inc' VAT....................
87GTA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 23:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good write up but dont use the WD40 Shocked  as juzzie states use clean brake fluid.

The easiest way to get the pistons out is leave the caliper connected to the brake system, remove pads put a block of wood or similar where the pads would be and get someone to press the brake pedal (VERY GENTLY), then do it again with a smaller bit of wood until the first piston pops out, one will pop before the other but the other one should be quite easy to pull after the caliper is off.

Dont just pump the brake to pop the pistons out,  Shocked there is a lot of pressure in a brake system, use a block of wood Very Happy

Also put a container under the caliper to catch any fluid Very Happy
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 20:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bellflower wrote:
New caliper from Milners £105 inc' VAT....................

did all four for less than £200 doing your own ......
Captain Pugwash
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a great guide. Was going to pay somebody to do this. Now I'm going to do this myself and enjoy doing it.
Thanks.
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

just use the wd40 for cleaning ..then wipe off....

a smear of grease on the seals will help with pistons going in... Wink
richardsth

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 11:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent write-up but to add, the pistons are not part of the brake seal kit in the picture, they have to be ordered seperatly.
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed yes they do... Embarassed
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed yes they do... Embarassed
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone referencing this post to learn how to service their brakes,
DO NOT USE WD40 OR ANY OIL OR GREASE Apart From:
New Brake Fluid and Red Rubber Grease - sometimes called Seal Grease.
If you contaminate the piston seals with any other stuff you risk pressing the brakes hard one day when you NEED to stop and finding that the brakes fail and you will run into something and make a big mess!
durhamgundogs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 22:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jowter wrote:
For anyone referencing this post to learn how to service their brakes,
DO NOT USE WD40 OR ANY OIL OR GREASE Apart From:
New Brake Fluid and Red Rubber Grease - sometimes called Seal Grease.
If you contaminate the piston seals with any other stuff you risk pressing the brakes hard one day when you NEED to stop and finding that the brakes fail and you will run into something and make a big mess!

thanks for the wd40 info after reading the tread im going to do the seals in my truck cos my front calliper lost all presure on my way home
benw

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 20:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Used these instructions yesterday and they were perfect. Thank you.  Smile

Just a quick couple of things I've learned....

Red rubber grease is hard to get hold of (down here in the South East anyway). Some of the auto factors I rang up thought I was taking the p1ss when I asked for it! I managed to find a 500g tub for £18 but that was way too much for what I was doing. So if you are about to do this job I suggest you have a look round on the internet and see if you can get a small tube of it or something. I ended up not bothering and used brake fluid to lubricate it instead. It seems okay so far.

My calipers were slightly different to ones in the photos. The pots are not completely smooth and shiny all round inside - only a band at the top near the rubber seal is milled smooth and the rest is rough as if it came straight out of the cast. There is also no circlip (and none were supplied with the kit from Bigg Red).

The slider pins were also different and one of them sits inside a long rubber tube that lines the inside of the caliper guide. It's a right pain because the pin is a really snug fit and if you put too little or too much grease in the pin is really reluctant to go in.

The pistons were a nightmare to get out. The problem for me is that I had decided not to buy new pistons so I had to be careful not to damage them taking them out and this was really difficult. Once out I polished them up using very fine wet & dry paper and they came up like new but the whole process took me hours longer. If you are not on a tight budget (I was quoted £18 each so £72 for both the fronts) I would suggest going for new pistons. If you are the originals can be refurbished but be prepared to spend a long time.

(by the way one easy method of getting the pistons out would have been to disconnect caliper but leave the brake pipe connected then pump the brake pedal till the piston pops out. I didn't want to do this because I was working on my own so probably wouldn't have been able to stop the fluid coming out and going all over my mate's workshop floor and possibly running the reservoir dry but if you had someone helping you who could position a drain pan to catch the drips and apply a hose clamp at the right moment you could probably get away with it).

Getting the rubber boots to fit is REALLY fiddly. But as the instructions say they do stretch a lot further than you imagine. I first tried attaching the boot to the piston then using a small screwdriver to poke the seal down in to the groove on the pot but this was hopeless. I think the only way to do it is to put the boot on the caliper first then push the piston through it. It doesn't seem possible at first but it will go. Tip: if you are wearing gloves take them off while you fit the piston otherwise they will get trapped behind the seal and you will have to start again.

Don't forget to bleed the brakes at the end before you drive it. I recommend taking the opportunity to change the brake fluid at the same time. A 1 litre bottle was plenty enough.

The kit from Bigg Red comes with two little red caps which I assume are bleed nipple covers but they are hopelessly small so don't get rid of your original covers (if you've still got them).
fest
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2013 20:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

glad it was of some help m8... as you say may be easier to press the pedal

to push the pistons out but i had twin pot callipers and one on each was

wedged solid hence them being nearly destroyed on removal....

hopefully everyone will find an easier way to add to it .... Cool  Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: