QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

brake caliper full service..step by step

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenthepipe
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 20:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

drew m wrote:
You can get the photos back, see photo bucket hotlink fix,works a treat.
Drew

I'll second that, works great  Wink
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 20:23    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Phatwheels

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great guide,

However im struggling to ensure i order the correct kit.
i have a 2005 shogun sport 2.5td, can someone link me one that is definitely correct please? Really appreciate it, dont wanna order wrong thing and there seems to be many products that to the eye look the same but have different product numbers

Thanks
Tom-
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 23:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phatwheels wrote:
Great guide,

However im struggling to ensure i order the correct kit.
i have a 2005 shogun sport 2.5td, can someone link me one that is definitely correct please? Really appreciate it, dont wanna order wrong thing and there seems to be many products that to the eye look the same but have different product numbers

Thanks
Tom-

If in doubt, contact Bigg Red on Ebay and ask them which kit for your vehicle.   http://stores.ebay.co.uk/biggredltd
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, sent a message over this mornin
NDZ

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go the Paj two years ago and only just serviced the brakes where I found two of the front four pistons were totally seized. It passed the MOT last week with only a quick word from the garage owner that the calipers might be sticking but I'm amazed it could still brake as well as it did. Getting the stuck pistons out was a nightmare, the boiling water trick loosened one up a bit and it would just about rotate but still needed every tool, spray and swear word I could think of. One piston was heavily pitted and had clearly sat for years congealing into a gunky stuck mess but the other put up a similar fight and was actually quite clean once it popped out, anyway new ones on the way. :D
Phatwheels

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

NDZ wrote:
anyway new ones on the way. Very Happy

Would that be new pistons/seals or new caliper?

Whilst I like to fix stuff, quite often it doesn't go as smoothly as it should on older cars... so I opted for the new entire caliper in the end for only £20 more, less potential for problems to arise!

Hope yours goes back together smoother than it came apart!
NDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

The front calipers looked like they had been dug up at an archeological site but were completely serviceable and all I needed was two pistons and four sets of seals (£40). The most difficult part was scraping the baked-on crud out of the piston boot recesses, there are parts of those you can't see without a dental mirror and if they have just 1mm of crud left I found its enough to stop the new boot sitting properly. The boot retaining clips were also a joy to wrestle with, I'd been getting anxious that the new clips were not sitting as nicely recessed as the old ones but then I reasoned the new rubber is far more robust at this point and they might ease in a bit over time. Quick bleed all round and seems OK again, no huge difference in braking power now that the front has all four pistons working again but I've yet to tackle the rear brakes, no doubt they will need the same treatment.
NDZ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rear brakes had a seized piston one side with a stuck caliper on the other. Here's a few things I've learned from servicing the Pajero brakes.

1. The vehicle can pass the MOT with less than half of the brakes working, great in one way and highly dangerous in another.

2. If the caliper is going to be removed, slacken the brake pipe/hose nut before you remove it.

3. If you are planning to service the pistons then don't count on being able to remove them on the bench. Support the caliper while still connected and push the pistons out using the vehicle brakes. Be prepared to go all the way here as a couple of mine still put up a fight when half way out, remove the pads and insert a block of wood if you want to control the travel. Having learned this the hard way the first seized piston I tried to remove would only budge about 2mm with compressed air, I tried boiling water but eventually needed a blowtorch to get it moving. Unless you have a hydraulic system rigged up on the bench, a stuck piston can be stuck beyond belief.

4. The brake hoses can be clamped if you want to avoid any fluid loss or air ingress. Mine appear to have survived but I'm not 100% sure this would be safe for a hose in poor condition to begin with, just saying that it worked for me.

5. I didn't strictly need new pistons, only one of mine had any pitting that I was concerned about and the others cleaned up fine even though some had seized. I did far more damage trying to pull them out with pipe grips. If there's a next time I will just buy the seals and rubbers now I know how to get them out.

6. Likewise the calipers looked in a terrible state but cleaned up fine. I should have taken some photos but the calipers have ended up with nice shiny inners and still look ancient everywhere else. Getting the crud out of the dust and boot seal rims was definitely the hardest part, the fronts needed lots of scraping, air and nasty chemicals but the rears were much easier.

7. When installing the pistons cover every surface in red grease - pistons, caliper walls, seals and rings. The job definitely got easier the more red grease was involved and I found an old pair of round nose pliers that are also a touch concave which were perfect for nipping the retaining ring into place. Don't use any sharp tools at this point as the rubber can easily be pierced.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: