QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4M40 Injector removal

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would imagine the copper washers go between the injectors and the head?  Rick????????
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:13    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

there are 2 copper washers under the injectors 1 large and a small one the larger of the two you cant really miss but the small one that sits under the nozzle is usually well covered in carbon so get missed quite often  Wink .

rick.
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be honest ive done a good few heads now and when stripped they have had no small copper seal in the bottom of the injector port and have run perfectly well without any leakage .

rick.
Spacemonkey

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 21:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so my coppers go under the injectors. What other seals /washers will I need? I intend to do this job on a weekend so won;t be able to get any seals if I don't have them to hand..
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the other seals/washers used are copper there is no reason why you cant re use them
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 21:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, I could always anneal them first. Just checking there's no rubber O rings or anything..
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 23:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

no there is nothing else under the injectors , but dont forget you will also have 4 soft alloy washers/seals under the leak off rail , i have re-used these in emergency without problems but they can leak is re-used and you will need to be very careful taking them off .

rick.
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, those I don't have...  Confused

Here's what I have: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/160694237503?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes mate you have the larger of the 2 copper washers , but if i was you i would think about getting some leak off washers / seals just in case .

just out of curiosity what year is your truck ? the reason i ask is do you know that the 4m40 engine is fitted with 2 different types of injector , both types are identical to look at but they have different operating pressures , the ones in your link are for the later type edc engine ( 150 bhp ) the earlier type engine ( 125 bhp ) injectors open at a lower pressure so these two types are not interchangeable .

rick.
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh shoot- you're right...  Embarassed  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad  Rolling Eyes

Oh well, anyone want to buy some injectors for the EDC engine?  Confused

Saying that though, I run on high levels of WVO, and I'm sure I read that one of the things that the veg oil conversion injectors do is open at a higher pressure to make the spray better for veg oil...?
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

the type of fuel you run has no relavance on the opening pressure of the injectors this is set by using different sized shims to adjust the spring pressure .

rick.
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's to do with better atomisation when using veg oil. Elsbett do it in their kits for example. Have a read through here:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/3561056362

BTW, any idea what the pop pressures are for the EDC and normal pump's injectors?
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 1:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the fuel doesn't cause, it, what I mean is that the injectors have the pop pressure raised to aid burning of veg oil.
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

as I understant it, the small washer/seal is a crush seal and acts as a heat sheild for the nossel!
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've found a guy on ebay doing the three seal kit for a tenner so I can live with that. Rather get it right first time.

Secondly the guy who sold me the injectors will change them happily enough, so I recommend him highly! This goes some way to explaining the slagging off that the 'cheap Chinese Zexel copy' injectors get. If someone buys the wrong ones without knowing as I did, then they will fit them, think they're rubbish, get them setup correctly at extra cost and aggro, and hence the myth is born that Chinese injectors are rubbish...

After much, much reading last night I came to the conclusion that veg oil itself does cause the injectors to open at a lower pressure (as people have discovered doing pop testing) and also causes retardation due to a slower burn. This is part of the reason the engine sounds quieter which in turn is translated as smoother running on veg. This can be got around by either advancing the IP timing or setting a higher pop pressure. Or both as a higher pop pressure on diesel would need an advance anyway. A higher pop pressure is also needed for better veg oil atomisation. So I've read..

But I also read that the 4M40 engine has a straight jet squirt, not a conical spray pattern as most injectors do. This is from the factory guides. So in my situation of blending at 60-70% I shouldn't really need a modded injector, and don;t need a better conical spray as the 4M40 doesn't use one, hence why I am sending the injectors back and getting the standard ones. The ***135 injectors have a pop pressure of about 2300 psi for the EDC whereas the mechanical pump uses the ***129 injectors for a 2100 psi pop give or take.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: