Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

1990 2.5TD -Got O/D again -info for all Interested -

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
globalmark

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00    Post subject: 1990 2.5TD -Got O/D again -info for all Interested - Reply with quote

Hi all

First I want to Say Thanks to everyone who helped -either reply posting to me or any other Post on the whole internet helping those who did not have O/D (4th gear) as I read every post on the entire internet..

My Story - I have a 2.5TD SWB 1990 Auto - and after a Recent trip my AT light came on at the Dash - after Checking everything I bought a New A/T Temp Sensor (Switch, A/T case oil Temp as is in Catalog) part Number #MD 609333.  this fixed my light and Thought troubles Over - well No O/D

I check as Suggested all the Usual Suspects - Temp sensor under intercooler (grounding it), checked Solenoid (this was not working) so Replaced Solenoid (part # MD 609445 or MR 111917) checked all wires and continuity, - Ok I had O/D for about 20mins did a Drive all was ok, Next day went out and No Overdrive again.

So checked O/D switch in Gear selector (was OK), Again checked Temp sensor, again checked Solenoid, - Got a Auto electrician in to help and he could not find the fault But help find the O/D relay (part # MB 510483) it was Hidden above the ECU in the corner of the Passenger foot well, drop off the ECU 3 bolts and you can just see it and get to the Connector Block (to remove then Have to take the fan blower (if thats what its called- behind Glove Box) Out.

Anyway , short of replacing the relay and some people suggested they fixed by replacing the Console (or speedo sensor) - I have a cable speedo not electric so not sure would be that.

so I tried what a lot of people suggested - bypass the Electrics by removing the centre O-ring on the solenoid - well I did this and did not make any difference

Next day I removed the relay to get replacement and expensive and hard to get - so Thought I try 1 last thing I read somewhere ages ago . - The FIX

on the SolenoidI removed the Central O-ring as suggested (which made no Difference) Then I got my Dremel tool and Ground a groove between the 2 holes in the solenoid . (i did this with my Old Solenoid which did not work (Check By putting single wire to a Positive and hear a Click)  .

Finally I Completely Cut the Old wire off as did not need taped up other end and Took for a Test drive - WOW had a 4th or O/D and revs dropped back to Normal .

now this is Obviously not a Proper fix as the O/D button will not work as I am Bypassing it all together but if you want to try (my 2nd solenoid working one that I am not using came from a Scrap yard) .

Hope this helps someone - if any questions please reply or PM me whatever and I will try and help what Little I know ( all my Knowledge mainly came from reading 100's of Posts) - I will continue to try and fix this correctly and replace the other working solenoid and let you all Know when I do - But for the Time being I have O/D.

I have Photo's of everything , Modified Solenoid, temp sensor, relay - But cannot post Pics (always says Sorry, you have reached your maximum Upload Quota Limit of 1 Bytes) - but if anyone wants Pics Pm me and happy to email them to you or Post here if someone know how as I never reached 1byte and never put pics up..

Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job there Mark,

alright mate, open yourself a photobucket or imageshake account, there are lots of other sites which you can upload your pics for free and then copy and paste for forum right here.  

or you can use this site without even subscription  Wink

http://zemgy.com/view.php?filename=570114.jpg

just upload one by one and copy and paste the link for forum here.  Wink
Selkent1

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great bit of info. Im trying to get my od back.

Might give that a try!

Phil
globalmark

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys

http://140.99.20.180/forum/showthread.php?t=21105

you can easily put Pictures Up here..

Try this Link of Pajero Club in Australia - I am a Sussex Boy but currently living in Australia , and this site is great for those upside down - if anyone is not familar with it I recommend Joining also as great source of Info (only difference is KLM's this side of the World)  .

Mark

P.s Selkent1 I read a Lot of your posts also were Helpful answers , what I did cannot remember which site I found it on But works - But this cuts out all The Electrics to the O/D so the Button does Not work (except light on the Dash) - But goes into 4th/OD gear and I never used the OD button Anyway so do not care that Much. But will continue to look as I want to Know what Happened .
Selkent1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 0:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

As requested, here's the pics of the job!

Great thread for anyone who has this seemingly common problem. Night be worth making it sticky!

Many thanks to globalmark for this, and look at it this way, buying a dremmel is cheaper than another box! Smile

The temp sender unit;

Location of overdrive relay;

Gearbox solenoid before mod;

Gearbox solenoid after mod;

Again, good work.

Phil
Selkent1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just followed by doing mine, but as yet dunno if its worked. Hopefully so. Managed to get a dremmel like tool from a local hardware store. Fairly simple job. I tried testing the solenoid once i removed it but didn't hear any promising clicks, so im hoping it was just that.

You'll have to forgive the auwful quality of my pics. I always use my phone! Must get an upgrade! Sad

Again, hopefully this has worked for me, and again, thanks to globalmark for digging this one up!

Phil
janee1uk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:56    Post subject: a/t temp sensor Reply with quote

Hi Mark,
Where is the location of the sensor, my light is on permanently have changed transmission fluid but no different so now hoping its the sensor or broken wire,
Thanks jane
Selkent1

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

The solenoid in question (on a 2.5 anyway), is on the nearside just in front of the crossmember. It's held on by two 12mm bolts, the wire connector is a bit of a sod to get to, but fairly easy!

Phil
Selkent1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

Just thought id bump this one up and see if anyone out there has had any more success fixing the dreaded overdrive curse!

I did exactly the same procedure on mine and apart from being a bit more responsive, made no difference at all. Although my fluid is still filthy and i haven't cleaned out the gearbox filter yet. I did attempt to do the gearbox filter once but just couldn't get the bolts on the chassis cross member to budge and was paranoid about breaking em!

I think i asked this question before but has anyone had this problem who has a shogun? As so far i have read through all the posts and can only see this symptom affecting the imports. If this is the case, whats different about the import in this respect?

Hope all are well.

Phil
Walt

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Selkent1 wrote:
Hi all,

Just thought id bump this one up and see if anyone out there has had any more success fixing the dreaded overdrive curse!

I did exactly the same procedure on mine and apart from being a bit more responsive, made no difference at all. Although my fluid is still filthy and i haven't cleaned out the gearbox filter yet. I did attempt to do the gearbox filter once but just couldn't get the bolts on the chassis cross member to budge and was paranoid about breaking em!

I think i asked this question before but has anyone had this problem who has a shogun? As so far i have read through all the posts and can only see this symptom affecting the imports. If this is the case, whats different about the import in this respect?

Hope all are well.

Phil

Hiya Phil,

don't be afraid to use a long spanner and hammer to crack the 8 bolts on the cross member.  Best way to do is, to use WD40 (plenty of) and leave it soak for a few hours. (ideally overnight)   They will open mate, I had the same problem.  

You will find that the atf filter will have a gasket and you will need a new gasket.  As per filter, just wash it with petrol.  

And here is the cross-member out.  Wink

Make sure you support your box when you take the cross-member out.
Selkent1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just thought id bump this one again, maybe some others have had experiences of this!

Phil
Byway

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry if I am missing something here but how does the groove fix the overdrive problem? Does it make a bypass channel for the hydraulic fluid?

When it is working, is the solenoid activated/energised for overdrive and unpowered for non-overdrive or the other way round?
I presume that the system is too complicated to allow a simple fix by fitting a manual switch directly to the solenoid and bypass the ECU and sensors?
Chris_944

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 17:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark, are you still about round here. Just a quick question about the wiring part of your VERY helpful thread if I may! You say:

on the Solenoid I removed the Central O-ring as suggested (which made no Difference) Then I got my Dremel tool and Ground a groove between the 2 holes in the solenoid . (i did this with my Old Solenoid which did not work (Check By putting single wire to a Positive and hear a Click)  .

Finally I Completely Cut the Old wire off as did not need taped up other end and Took for a Test drive - WOW had a 4th or O/D and revs dropped back to Normal .

So do you have to wire the solenoid to live?? or do you leave it wired as it is?? or not you cut the woring completely?

Sorry, maybe I'm not reading it right
Chris_944

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 19:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just hit me, if I'm bypassing it completely with the dremmel then I don't need the wiring... Homer Simpson moment!
John2.5TD

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2013 16:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

what wire do u need to cut ?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: