QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Glow plug relay clicking on and off straight away

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mordue22

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30    Post subject: Glow plug relay clicking on and off straight away Reply with quote

Hi there, could do with some help please, new to pajeros and diesels for that matter! My paj has no heater plug light on dash (don't think it's ment to, 2.5 on a 93) so ive been trying to listen for relay clicks and seems to be clicking on and off within in a split second! Needless to say there's not enough delay to heat up plugs so it's a bit sluggish to start in mornings and having to use hand throttle! Also got what I think is a diesel leak running down n/s of engine which drips on drive when running from what I think is the pump under intercooler, any insight you may have to these problems would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Taraswolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2.5 motor usually has 2 relays/solernoids between the batteries and uses 6.2v glow plugs, sounds like the plugs have been replaced with cheapy plugs at some time and the glowplug ecu doesnt like the plugs so just cliks on/off within a few secs, had the same problem with mine, you have a choice of fitting a decent set of plugs so the ecu will work properly and give the plugs a good few secs to heat up or fit a manual by-pass switch.
The hand throttle isnt a choke btw it just raises the tickover does the same as putting your foot on the throttle.
If you have a diesel leak you need to get that sorted asap as it can cause engine running issues including bad starting, if fuel is leaking out air can get into the system.
Happy new truck btw Smile
HandyDan
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taraswolf wrote:
the 2.5 motor usually has 2 relays/solernoids between the batteries and uses 6.2v glow plugs, sounds like the plugs have been replaced with cheapy plugs at some time and the glowplug ecu doesnt like the plugs so just cliks on/off within a few secs, had the same problem with mine, you have a choice of fitting a decent set of plugs so the ecu will work properly and give the plugs a good few secs to heat up or fit a manual by-pass switch.
The hand throttle isnt a choke btw it just raises the tickover does the same as putting your foot on the throttle.
If you have a diesel leak you need to get that sorted asap as it can cause engine running issues including bad starting, if fuel is leaking out air can get into the system.
Happy new truck btw Smile

The ECU is not connected to the plugs and as such dosnt care what they are . The Relay is connected to the ECU . ( Relays by definition are to cause a re-action in a different circuit without an electrical connection by physical means ) If the relay is clicking really quicky then it could be a faulty ECU or a fault with the temp sensor for the ECU. ( not same sensor as temp gauge )

Basic diagram here

http://i887.photobucket.com/albums/ac73/HandyDan/Glow.gif
Taraswolf

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tested different glow plugs and different makes have different resistance as i posted about them a few years ago, and when put on a pajero the ecu fires the relays at different times due to what we think is the different resistance from the plugs hence with some plugs on the 2.5 you get very quick on/off times and bad starting, change the plug to a different make and it changes the timing of the relay, there are many many posts on this forum which state the same problem with the 2.5td 6.2v quick start system and the same answer to rectifying the problem.
Fitting a decent make of plug or use the club shop plugs and this 1-2 sec on/off of the relays goes back to its normal timing and the 2.5 starts fine, if it was a ecu problem changing the plugs would make no difference to the relay timing just by changing a set of plugs.
Problem is when folk buy new plugs they more than likely buy the cheapest plugs they can find and these just do not work properly with the 2.5 6.2v system.
Been there got the T shirt same as many others.
HandyDan
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 18:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taraswolf wrote:
I have tested different glow plugs and different makes have different resistance as i posted about them a few years ago, and when put on a pajero the ecu fires the relays at different times due to what we think is the different resistance from the plugs hence with some plugs on the 2.5 you get very quick on/off times and bad starting, change the plug to a different make and it changes the timing of the relay, there are many many posts on this forum which state the same problem with the 2.5td 6.2v quick start system and the same answer to rectifying the problem.
Fitting a decent make of plug or use the club shop plugs and this 1-2 sec on/off of the relays goes back to its normal timing and the 2.5 starts fine, if it was a ecu problem changing the plugs would make no difference to the relay timing just by changing a set of plugs.
Problem is when folk buy new plugs they more than likely buy the cheapest plugs they can find and these just do not work properly with the 2.5 6.2v system.

Did a little test today , because I thought i was going mad , 2 vids , first normal operation , second with the plugs disconnected . The clicks can clearly be heard.

they show clearly that the plug type has NO effect on the system ( the ECU CAN NOT see what type of plug fitted), its all down to the temp sensor , and ECU . I think the problem occurs because the temp sensor  only monitors the front plug (so if the rail dosnt fit correctly , corrosion, or plug duff etc. etc ) changing them all will produce the required result.
4ePikanini

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 18:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the temp sensor. swap it out and see what happens.
pajmanAl

Zodiac: Cancer
Location: Blackpool A strange place where no body knows whose local any more?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taraswolf wrote:

and I agree with this, cos i too have been there and got the T shirt,  sometimes we make things more complicated than we need to - start with the basics (first rule of being a mechanic) put in some decent correct glow plugs and go from there get the plugs from the club shop and you wont go wrong.
HandyDan
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

pajmanAl wrote:
Taraswolf wrote:

and I agree with this, cos i too have been there and got the T shirt,  sometimes we make things more complicated than we need to - start with the basics (first rule of being a mechanic) put in some decent correct glow plugs and go from there get the plugs from the club shop and you wont go wrong.

First rule of being an electical engineer ( err not a change card jockey ), if it dont make sense , it aint true !!!!!!!!!!!

I aint knocking mechanics , everbody has a true skill ( and i wish i was a better one ), but went it comes to auto electrics ( common earth , etc )  "you cant change the laws of physics....Scotty USS Enterprise " Very Happy
pajmanAl

Zodiac: Cancer
Location: Blackpool A strange place where no body knows whose local any more?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 19:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

HandyDan wrote:
pajmanAl wrote:
Taraswolf wrote:

First rule of being an electical engineer ( err not a change card jockey ), if it dont make sense , it aint true !!!!!!!!!!!

I aint knocking mechanics , everbody has a true skill ( and i wish i was a better one ), but went it comes to auto electrics ( common earth , etc )  "you cant change the laws of physics....Scotty USS Enterprise " Very Happy

agreed, you cant beat the laws of physics,     additionally you cant argue with experience, and having experienced first hand the description given by Taraswolf above, on two different 2.5s in 7 years I will always look at the plugs for this issue before anything else - ho-hum been a mechanic to long I guess  Wink
HandyDan
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

pajmanAl wrote:
HandyDan wrote:
pajmanAl wrote:
Taraswolf wrote:

agreed, you cant beat the laws of physics,     additionally you cant argue with experience, and having experienced first hand the description given by Taraswolf above, on two different 2.5s in 7 years I will always look at the plugs for this issue before anything else - ho-hum been a mechanic to long I guess  Wink

Fair comment .....did you put the old ones back to prove the point?.I think you may be surprised by the result  Wink

I have restored my 2 to the original spec ( i like click and go ) , with cheapo plugs .

1: Faulty ECU ( replaced by 1 of auction site , also restored EGR as also caused by ECU fault )

2: Duff temp sensor connection remade

So we are equal ..2 for 2 ...anit it great being engineers  Very Happy
Mordue22

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 20:44    Post subject: Glow plugs Reply with quote

Hi again and thanks for all the replays! Just an update on what I've done today, not much tho as am on night shift, I've noticed today while looking at plugs that the wires to bus bar are connected to the first plug ( nearest to you when looking at them) and sure I've read somewhere that they should be on the third or second from the back which ever way you look at it, anyway it resulted in 1 second longer delay between clicks, as my original post said I was getting nothing between clicks before hand and now I get 1 second, still not efficient I know but every little helps!
Another note to ad is how many wires is ment to connect to bus bar? As there it a single wire which I presume is the live and a double wire which think may be earth but they were both connected to same plug on bus bar, is this correct? Just to me if earth and live are together surely they would trip each other out? ( that's if it is an earth like)
Any help appreciated and I am a novice so feel free to correct me! Could wire a house no probs but auto's still puzzle me lol
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as i understand the quick start (twin relay) system the relay operation time in your video is as it should be as its putting 12 volt into 6 volt plugs, hense quick start and no need for a light on the dash. the other relay will apply 6 volt the 6volt heater plugs once the engine is running and it may do thiis in pulses too.

And i cant see no way the heater plug control unit can tell what plugs are fitted as all it does is power a relay UNLESS it monitors battery voltage once the plugs are heating up? but this i doubt very much.

If you have trouble starting i would make sure you have power actually getting to the heater plug bus bar while the relay energises and if it is then fit new 6volt plugs, a neighbour of mine got some from ebay for £20 delivered, they work but i dont know for how long though as they quitr cheap.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S. left relay pre start & suplies 12 volt, right relay post start & supplies 6 volt. i think lol
OffRoadRob
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2012 21:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2 pence worth...

Mine had the exact same issue when i bought it. Thought it must be the ecu, so just fitted a push button and forgot about it. Came back to it a bit later, decided to put some new glow plugs in so sourced some correct 6 volt lucas ones off the eblag and fitted them. Wired up the ecu again as it should be and hey presto it worked perfectly!

Turns out i had 12v ones connected to some sort if resistor pack in it before. Looked exactly like the set of glow plugs that milners list on their website for our trucks, complete with the same resistor pack.

Was the plugs all along. Right plugs made the difference to my truck.
HandyDan
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:41    Post subject: Re: Glow plugs Reply with quote

Mordue22 wrote:
Hi again and thanks for all the replays! Just an update on what I've done today, not much tho as am on night shift, I've noticed today while looking at plugs that the wires to bus bar are connected to the first plug ( nearest to you when looking at them) and sure I've read somewhere that they should be on the third or second from the back which ever way you look at it, anyway it resulted in 1 second longer delay between clicks, as my original post said I was getting nothing between clicks before hand and now I get 1 second, still not efficient I know but every little helps!

Interesting , I think you are getting there . As the wire was on the first plug and the temp sensor monitors it , and you moved the wire to the second plug and extended the time the relay energised sounds like only the 1st plug was gettin juice . Now 2 plugs are getting juice , I would suggest giving the busbar a dam good clean ( at these high currents even the slightest bit of corrosion or loose connections make a big difference ) , test all the plugs and make sure that they are all the same i.e 6v. ( if you have a multimeter check they are exactly the same resistance )

I am looking at making a busber out of 8mm copper pipe ( length of pipe hammered flat at the correct points to line up with the plugs and a hole drilled in it to take the plug top , slight bends in between plug holes to stop it touching the engine and shorting out) because the fiited ally ones are carp.

If you have to change 1 , then it will have to be exactly the same as the others ( different manufactures plugs have slightly different resistances )

If you change all 4 they can be any make ( cheapo )

My 2 have the wire on the 3rd from front plug , but it shouldnt make any difference.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: