Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Split CV boots - anyone used them????

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what people say about taking your time to get it de greased and glue it properly etc.

But by the time you have done all this, surely it takes just as long as fitting the proper boot?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

pajerotom67

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put a split boot on my front inner ,keep the part which glues to gether clean and dry and glue a centimetre at a time ,you may have to trim a bit off each end and pack it with the grease and use the plastic ties to hold it in place  ,been on 2 years and no problems            tom
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

fotoboat wrote:

If a paying customer asks you to do it then you do it, but prior to doing it you explain that for this type of fix there's no guarantee Wink

no i wont work like that , if i dont think its right i wont do it , i`d rather lose the job than get slated because a quick fix repair prematurely fails .

rick.
Tony1971

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 20:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all the replies (both pro and neg) I really appreciate the advice.

In an ideal world I'd fit a normal boot but just don't have the time nor the courage to attempt it so I'm going to order a couple of split boots and shove them on next weekend.

For those who have fitted them could you advise which make/ brand to buy?  It seems the Bailcast ones the most popular.

Cheers
Tony
87GTA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to agree with Tom & Rick on this one, ok its a little more hassle but fit a proper one and you can forget about it, no worries about it going wrong again at a later date whether thats a week, month, year or whatever, I would always be waiting for it to split again.

a bodge is fine for a get you home repair but if you have the time and the tools do it right Very Happy
fotoboat
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

No much less work involved and consequently very much quicker,  there's no getting away from it removing the shaft de greasing checking for wear re greasing and fitting a proper boot is the correct procedure but circumstances can sometimes dictate and for me I needed an instant fix I needed to use the motor and couldn't bear to drive it with a gaping hole in the CV boot so I sorted it, and its still sorted.  After removing the old CV boot further inspection showed very clean grease with absolutely no contamination.

If you have had a boot split and the truck has been off road and there's any chance the joint has been contaminated with sand grit whatever and it shows when you look at the grease in the joint then the shaft must be removed for further inspection decontamination and re greasing and a new boot fitted.
fotoboat
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony1971 wrote:
Thanks very much for all the replies (both pro and neg) I really appreciate the advice.

In an ideal world I'd fit a normal boot but just don't have the time nor the courage to attempt it so I'm going to order a couple of split boots and shove them on next weekend.

For those who have fitted them could you advise which make/ brand to buy?  It seems the Bailcast ones the most popular.

Cheers
Tony

That`s the type I used Very Happy
fotoboat
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony

Make sure to check the state of the old grease, if its obviously contaminated you need to consider what's kicking around inside the joint. Very Happy
Tony1971

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2012 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, will do.

I plan to buy them this week and get it done this weekend.  Will post how I get on once done.

Thanks again for everyones advice.

Tony
Tom Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got 2 on my truck and they have been past 3 mots up to now without any leaks or splits at all, and I put one on the wife's V6 last year as well.
Tony1971

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 21:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom

By the way, not sure if anyone picked up on it but I plan to use these on the INNER CV JOINT.

Will they still work fine on the inners?

I've seen on some of the websites that sell them that they are designed for OUTER only???

Thanks again

Tony
Tom Fletcher

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony1971 wrote:
Thanks Tom

By the way, not sure if anyone picked up on it but I plan to use these on the INNER CV JOINT.

Will they still work fine on the inners?

I've seen on some of the websites that sell them that they are designed for OUTER only???

Thanks again

Tony
done one on the wife's V6 shogun that was an inner one I think they are OK, got it from the local motor factors they are like a universal thing you can cut it to size,  if you were doing it for a customer I would not put one on then as you have to stand to any thing that can go wrong and not a good idea if you do a lot of mud plugging.
Tony1971

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2012 22:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Tom, I'll order some then.

Also, not planning on doing any off-roading and nor for a customer (well apart from myself) so hopefully it'll do the trick.

I'll let you know how it goes

Cheers
Tony
D4B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 16:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
fotoboat wrote:

If a paying customer asks you to do it then you do it, but prior to doing it you explain that for this type of fix there's no guarantee Wink

no i wont work like that , if i dont think its right i wont do it , i`d rather lose the job than get slated because a quick fix repair prematurely fails .

rick.

Agree with you Rick  salute
fotoboat
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 18:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

D4B wrote:
v8 rick wrote:
fotoboat wrote:

rick.

Agree with you Rick  salute

If a customer agrees to the terms and conditions then what's the problem !!! I've done loads of work which in my opinion wasn't right but the end result was it was right for the customer. The customer made the decision and paid the money. Very Happy  turning work away is not the answer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: