Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

285/75/16s on my Pajero JTop!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacemonkey

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:16    Post subject: 285/75/16s on my Pajero JTop! Reply with quote

About a month ago I bought a set of the new General Grabber ATs in 30/9.50/15s fitted on my standard Pajero alloys- this is the biggest size fittable to a Delica L400 without any mods. It also suits the Paj very well I thought being only ever so slightly bigger than standard. This was only a temporary measure as the wheels were destined to go on my Delica and a new set of 16x8" steel modulars to go on the Paj with 285/75/16 Cooper ST Maxx. Hell yeah...

First pictures are the old wheels and tyres I bought a month ago that ended up on the Deli- they’re the Grabber ATs in 30/9.50/15 on the standard wheels on my Pajero.

Then tyre size comparisons! Flippin’ heck, the 285/75/16 Cooper STMaxx are a lot bigger than I thought!! Beginning to wonder if it was a good idea...

Then fitted on standard suspension. Couldn’t turn the wheel much before they rubbed badly. *beep*...

So lifted the front end by 1.75 inches...

The height of the wheel arch centre was 33” off the ground to begin with. With just the tyres it was 36” and now just under 38” all round! I like the way the front and rear are a more balanced height now- more like when new. I reckon this drooping most Paj's have at the front has to be spring sag as when new they look a lot more level. The camber is not bad but I’ll get the geometry set up correctly once I've changed all the track rods as the ball joints are worn.

Acceleration has been reduced not surprisingly, but the tyres are nicely quiet and grippy. Result!

Deli much happier on new tyres and both sets of wheels come to the edge of their respective arches so look good too! Deli required no mods, but does already sit higher than other Delis I have compared it to so maybe it’s had an inch or two lift?

4xGeneral Grabber AT in 30 9.50 15 supplied and fitted by www.4x4tyres.co.uk near Stratford upon Avon for £400.

5x Cooper ST Maxx in 285/75/16 fitted to 5 steel modular 16x8rims, balanced and delivered from the same place for £950. VERY happy so don;t mind giving them a free plug!!  Very Happy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 22:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very Cool  Cool love them both.J top looks well with 33s Cool and that deli is a cracker,look superb in black.
I removed front flaps as rubbed on inside on full lock and when either cornering or off road.Also had to take edge off inner arch too.As rear were as good as useless i removed them too.
Flap

Took bottom edge off(could do better job tbh)

Flaps off as caught on lock under articulation and cornering
wilwil_uk

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:06    Post subject: spare spring spacers Reply with quote

Nice looking motor with new rubbers mate i ot a set 28575 16 GG AT2 On my lwb too with factory body lift n 2' spacers. I bought a spare set of spacers for my swb but my gf now wants a jimny wtf!!! So if u want a set let me know mate have a good evening mate.

Wil
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fortunately, (although apparently they never sold any) mine is a 2.8 J-Top so has the body lift for the gearbox, so that helps!  Laughing

I'm rather reluctant to grind my alloy bumper away so I shall do a 2" body lift later in the year, but I think I might ditch the mudflaps before that. They don't rub now but they're still rather close..

This Paj is currently my daily runaround running on 60%+WVO  but shall become my green-laning toy once I get another BMW Cabrio. The Deli is my Adventure Bus and for doing a stall at the summer country shows with my missus. It's ideal for diving, shooting, camping trips, kayaking, biking, etc etc etc! When the Paj is completed, I'll paint the bottom of the Deli black , fit the roof spoiler and then the red stripe on the side up to the spoiler.  Cool
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:12    Post subject: Re: spare spring spacers Reply with quote

wilwil_uk wrote:
Nice looking motor with new rubbers mate i ot a set 28575 16 GG AT2 On my lwb too with factory body lift n 2' spacers. I bought a spare set of spacers for my swb but my gf now wants a jimny wtf!!! So if u want a set let me know mate have a good evening mate.

Wil

OOh, pics of your motor please!

And if the lift kit is the XPajun one, let me know. Wink
wilwil_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

before torsion bar adjustment and spacers

adjusted t bar and 2 inch spacers

and to compare with my standard 2.5

Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!! ANy chance you can measure floor to edge of wheelarch at centre of back and front wheel some time? Mines 38" front and rear.
wilwil_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

will measure them in a bit when i pop out for a fag later Cool
wilwil_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

38 front and 39 rear
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, pretty close to mine as it is then!  Cool
wilwil_uk

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 23:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

same tyre pressure? mine are 28 psi at the moment  Laughing
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 0:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure, but I reckon they might be!  Laughing
pajerotom67

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 0:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks smart mate                     tom
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those ST Maxx tyres are amazing..! And supposed to be easily good for 60k miles according to users. Last night I fitted new inner and outer track rod ends and today got a 4 wheel alignment done. Turns out my tracking was out- not surprising as I'd just changed all the bits! But the odd thing was my camber was absolutely spot on as was my caster! And that was just by lifting it til it looked 'right'. I don't think I am going to lift the back end- I kind of like it as it is, but I might do a 2" body lift later in the year. Whilst doing the steering last night I noticed that the CV boots were split due to the rubber being 18 years old and perished. Lifting the front changes the angle of the drive shafts and so put more strain on the CV boots. Weather's freezing, back hurts, can't use my pit, haven't the time... so I've got a local garage doing the job tomorrow for a good price AND they pick it up and return it when done! Helps when the boss of the garage is a nearly next door neighbour.  Cool  Also I noticed my oil leak appears to be the front crank shaft oil seal, so they're going to get that job in a week or so. Same above excuses apply..   Laughing
Spacemonkey

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 17:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a little update, the tyres work amazingly well in all conditions, especially the snow over last winter where I had to go through a forest (literally) and along a green lane to escape the traffic queues of muppets on summer tyres. They've barely worn as well. Excelllent choice. I updated the steering wheel for a MK2.5 genuine new old stock Mitsi upgrade wheel with leather and carbon, which makes it a nicer place to be. Sadly now, I have to part with it as I am downsizing my fleet and getting some full on winter tyres for my Golf instead... I'll post an ad for the Paj in the for sale section later tonight as I have to take the hound out before it gets dark. Poor little *beep* went blind a couple of days ago due to cataracts that appeared and progressed at an alarming rate. Vets next week for surgery options even though he's a healthy 14 year old small brown dog. He's my best mate so he's worth the £2500.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: