eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Micro Filter time again!!!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52    Post subject: Micro Filter time again!!! Reply with quote

Just been down the West Country for the weekend and on the return trip yesterday we decided to detour across the moor's. We stopped briefly in Bodmin and shortly afterwards i decided to fill up as we were going to use the backroads where fuel stations are thin on the ground. We pulled into a BP station who had no fuel left and then continued on to the next fuel station which was a little tired looking to say the least, but they did have petrol. I filled up and remember commenting on how expensive they were! A short while later whilst climbing a hill the engine management light came on and the engine went into "limp mode". Obviously contaminated fuel that has blocked the fuel micro filter causing a weak mixture condition under load. The result of this was a six hour crawl back home and the pleasure of having to have the micro filters replaced again and of locating my nearest Mitsubishi Dealer again as my previous two Mitsubishi Dealers have gone bust within the last three years!

Their are three morals to this story;

1. Never buy a Mitsubishi if you live in Hampshire

2. Never buy a 2002 onwards Shogun 3.5GDI

3. If you ignore the first two, always buy your petrol from a reputable source (which means never travelling beyond the vehicle's tank range).

Thanks, I feel much better now. . . . . . Laughing
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:52    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Big Rod

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:57    Post subject: Re: Micro Filter time again!!! Reply with quote

jonshoggi wrote:
Their are three morals to this story;

1. Never buy a Mitsubishi if you live in Hampshire

2. Never buy a 2002 onwards Shogun 3.5GDI

3. If you ignore the first two, always buy your petrol from a reputable source (which means never travelling beyond the vehicle's tank range).

Well, mine's a '97 and I have the same problem but the garage I use on my commute has reliable petrol so haven't fallen foul for a number of weeks now. I know of one garage that I avoid at all costs as the twice I've filled up there the truck's screwed up about 50 miles afterwards.

I'm dreading our caravan holidays this year as it'll mean having to fill up at unfamiliar and probably out of the way filling stations.

The trouble is, I like the truck.

I'm considering the options of either removing the filters altogether or launching the GDI lump and dropping a Lexus V8 in the space.

We'll see...
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 14:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont remove the micro filters! The reason that they are there is to protect the high pressure fuel pump from wear and damage.

There is nothing wrong with the GDI motor if regularly serviced with the correct oil. The problem is in the design of the fuel delivery system. The petrol is fed to the engine compartment via a filter and low pressure fuel pump mounted in the tank. At the engine end the fuel is passed through the micro filter before passing to the high pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine. These micro filters are very small and consist of a very fine gauze to prevent any *beep* from reaching the high pressure fuel pump and causing damage.

The low pressure fuel pumps are about £800 from Mitsubishi and the high pressure pumps are almost double that! So you do not want to let *beep* get to the high pressure fuel pump.

The micro filter is an inexpensive part that attracts considerable labour costs to replace due to its inconvenient location.

The manufacturers should have designed an easier replacement/maintenance location for the filter to alleviate this pain in the ass problem. If someone could come up with a convenient solution to this problem then the GDI Shogun would be the great workhorse that it should have been.

However, the bigger problem is that Mitsubishi Dealers do not seem to last very long in my area and so providing this vehicle with the correct servicing and maintenance schedule is very difficult as smaller garages seem more experienced with more agricultural vehicles.
Doug Hope

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the exact same problems. I replace my filter every 4 months even if it seems ok. It's a hassle but I can change it in 20 mins now. One thing I try to do is when I know I'm going somewhere is fill the car up the night before and it seems to be working so far.
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 17:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug,

How do you change it in 20 mins?
Big Rod

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 18:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can change the one at the rear of the engine in about that time.

The one under the plenum is an 8 hour job though as I found out just after Christmas!! Sad
Doug Hope

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just change the one in the feed pipe.

Plastic engine cover off

kneel on the radiator panel and look down the back of the engine on the drivers side. You should be able to see the fuel pipes going to the pump.

The feed pipe has a fixing that bolts to the pump with 2 10mm bolts.

Long extension and you can undo both bolts but be careful not to drop them. Nightmare if you do

pull the pipe out. It can be tight. Point the pipe upwards to try and minimise fuel spill.

I have a screw in a bit of webbing strap. Screw it into the filter and pull it sharply to remve the old filter.

Pop the new filter into the hole and tap home with a socket extension and hammer.

Refit is just the reverse

hope this helps
shoggyraminator

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone on this site has installed a bog standard style fuel filter in between the LP pump and micro filter, located somewhere in the engine bay. This sounded like a good idea. Guess it was no one replying here so far, or is it, and the is idea has not stopped the micro filter from clogging up?
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Doug.

I have ordered the micro filters and O rings from Mitsubishi and will do the job myself when they arrive.

I have also read on here about fitting an inline fuel filter to try and avoid the problem but don't know where you would fit it. I have also read that there is an inline fuel filter fitted to these cars under the passenger side, not on my model their isnt!
Big Rod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was Doug that installed the inline filter.

I bought one to follow suit but he reported back that it made little or no difference.

I wonder if you can buy an in-line micro filter?

<runs off to ebay>
shoggyraminator

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really makes you think about the design of the micro filters. Are they actually too fine? If a standard fuel filter is still letting through particles which are blocking it, and they are used in normal fuel injection systems effectively. Can the HP pump be so delicate that particles passing a decent filter will stuff it up!
Doug Hope

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup I have a filter fitted and it made *beep* all difference. Fair enough it was a £5 filter but I can honestly say it hasn't helped at all.
Doug Hope

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you leave the car for an hour or so as it gets pretty hot down the back.
Big Rod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about these?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230693106731

Looks kind'a like cigarette filters inside.

I've asked where to get replacement elements for them. I might get one for the hell of it!!
Big Rod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

For bikes apparently, but the blurb sounds familiar!!

http://www.moto-racing.co.uk/item--Motrax-Micro-Fuel-Filter--Motrax+Micro+Fuel+Filter.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: