Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Micro Filter time again!!!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shoggyraminator

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say they just look like bits of foam stuffed in a tube. Can't say I'd be happy relying on them.

Q for Doug. do you have the link for the £5 filter you installed. I'm now curious as to why it did not appear to work?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:18    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Big Rod

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

shoggyraminator wrote:
Have to say they just look like bits of foam stuffed in a tube. Can't say I'd be happy relying on them.

Would be easier to replace the filament in them should it be required though! IMO
shoggyraminator

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 15:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a look around the web it would appear that some filters do state the filtration level in microns. If we could find out what the filtration spec is for the Mitsy micro filters, then find a matching bullet style filter to insert in line, then job should be a good un. Don’t know how you would get that sort of info from Misty though?
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it definitely needs an inline filter housing that comes apart and takes these micro filters.

Get scanning the web guys.  Very Happy
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 19:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found some on alibaba.com to fit Lucas and Bosch fuel injectors. May be of use?
Doug Hope

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one I've got 170532144732 search on eBay. But I'm thinking about trying a different one. I have a phone pic I can send of where mine is fitted.
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having had a look into this it would appear to me that the Mitsubishi Micro filter is probably a 10 micron filter. So a search for 10 micron filters brings up american after market filters for performance engines or aeroplane applications. These can be had from $60 each however, these fine filters have differing flow rates so if you don't get the right flow rate for the vehicle you could have the engine light on again!

Its a case of obtaining the flow rate of the Mitsubishi micro filters or "suck it and see" with a 10 micron aftermarket fuel filter with a high flow rate.
Big Rod

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking it wouldn't be impossible to find a pipe coupling that you might be able to install one of Mitsi's finest in for ease of changing.

Y'know, maybe even one of those ebay things I posted the link to you might be able to wedge one of them in the body rather than the cigarette filter they have in there. (I doubt a cigarette filter would work as I'm sure the petrol would probably melt it.)
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fitted the new micro filter to the feed line to the pump this morning, a bit fiddly but didn't take very long (many thanks to Doug Hope for the job description, spot on).

Pleased to report that i can now give her the beans without the engine management light coming on! Hooray!

Note: I was surprised when i removed the old micro filter as i expected to find lunge in it but i didn't. I am wondering if they just deteriorate over time in UK fuels?
Doug Hope

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 22:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, hopefully save you some cash. My old ones usually look a bit blacker than the new.
des.couch

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2012 19:19    Post subject: filter Reply with quote

have posted the previous information regarding the microfilters  it cures the problem i have not yet had to change the bulkhead filter at all.........................................
jonshoggi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 20:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just had to use Tesco fuel today and its Micro filter time again! Sad
Doug Hope

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there done that lol. I have a really sad fuel fill up routine. But no problems since jan/feb.
Road Warrior

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 19:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anybody out there still reads this?......how do you get the micro filter out of the fuel pump.
I have a 2001 3.5 V6 GDI. SWB.
I can't get my micro filter out at all. I screwed a wood screw into filter and tried pulling it out but it will not budge!!
Any ideas please or pictures.
Thanks
iam_TJ
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 6:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was precisely how I did it. You need a suitably sized screw that will get a good grip but not penetrate far into the pump. If you've got this far then presumably you can compare screw sizes against the replacement filter?  It took me two attempts because first time I was too diffident and the screw didn't bite enough. I also fitted an in-line fuel filter on the nearside bulkhead.

The other issue is applying steady pulling pressure rather than jerking it to avoid it braking in-situ. A large block of wood suitably placed to act as a fulcrum to lever the screw with a a pair of pliers or grips was my method.

Here's photos from when I did the micro-filter replacement. There's one showing the new and old filters with the screw still in place. Ignore the fuel-pump photos - I didn't replace that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Petrol model specific Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: