QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Transfer Box Chain Tension

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
piaggio

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I get out transferbox only ?  Due to chain replacement.or can I only get out the cover only?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2020 17:01    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

piaggio

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2020 14:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that I can get out splitting in the clutch place.but... why not to try  transferbox cover only Laughing Don't be mad at me,but I try to get whole image . This is endless money pit working on 97 MT Pajero,so why not try alone  Laughing .But if anyone has experience let's told me necessary thing to replace transfer chain.realy I only suspect that noise coming from this place but oil with aluminium particles say sothing...
piaggio

PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2020 19:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eee. Again I. My PJ '97  MT 4m40 290km .I finaly got to the laptop an look ,that- working on the chain is possible just take transferbox cover off,so the main question  answered ..

The reason when I talking about chain is that clunking  noise! - when I crossing bumpy road.When I driving on fine road I didn't notice so much.
I notice this nervous clanking  as feeling on the floor on driver side. As as drained tranferbox oil I noticed aluminium particles therefore I thinking about
free play chain in  transferbox. Steering- all ball joins replaced.Also pit arm. Front dampers - checked bottom mountings/bushings  and tighten bolts.Roll bar bushing also replaced. transferbox mount /bushing also new - I suspect right this as clunking to the frame,but no does not really matter after replacement.

So I'm not sure about chain alone b'cause I not towing almost nothing.I didnt notice any bushing weared -so where its come from.
As I said, the big one are going on bumpy surface as stones,or hit obstacle. So if you have any great idea,left any unoffensive comment.....
Confused
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 2:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I have done on other similar transfer cases is simple; you cannot use a tensioner for reasons already given so you use a bearing as this is in an oil lubricated system and the bearing will be lubricated, you do need a suitable place to anchor the pin to locate the bearing and you need a little adjustment so I did them as follows.

I found a suitable place to locate the pin and drilled the transfer case and tapped a thread into it.
I machined a pin and threaded the end which screwed into the transfer case, then machined a step and then the shaft to fit the bearing and this was left oversize.
A bearing was obtained which was slightly undersize on the O/D and slid onto the shaft and measured, the step was machined back so the bearing aligned perfectly with the chain.
A nylon outer was machined and this was from type 66 nylon PTFE which is black and has PTFE added to it, this was slid over the bearing and its outer diameter was machined until it was a perfect fit, and a groove was machined on the inside to accept an internal circlip.
The bearing was removed from the new shaft and the nylon wheel was tapped over it and the retaining circlip was fitted.
The whole assembly was fitted to the shaft and a nut was fitted to hold it together.
piaggio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes .good idea with bearing.as I can't find anything other rumbling on chassis so I maybe start with transfer -hope- it would not be something other in the gearbox .or I don't know about sound.
But how idea I see about the chain : I found on YouTube guy who simple split the chain ,throw away one segment and link back together.this is so interesting.and if I will she short I can simple link back the segment and put the bearing as you told me. By the way yes it's heawy truck but.I remember when I work on fuel pump seal,you can see the nice big gears. so I still hope I find something easier job .but if not -when I be in good mood I start with transferbox....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: