QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

advise about buying a fault code reader / resetter

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kenscbr

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 0:15    Post subject: advise about buying a fault code reader / resetter Reply with quote

i wonder if any of yous want to advise me on a good handheld tool to buy ?
i want it to put out airbag lights and engine managment lights and abs lights on most cars !!!
and other things too but as long as it does the other things thats the most important thing ,
price range ??????? £250 but if the right tool came along i might go another £250 =£500 but that would be my limit and dont think i need to go that far , i have a garage (bodyshop) and depend on another guy to erase fault codes for me but would like to be able to do my own !
btw sorry if this is in the wrong section , move it to the right section if needed Smile
thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 0:15    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the Autel range I've got a jp701 does some of the shogun pre 2004 settings. Does obd from 2001 petrol and 2004 diesel. With compatible vehicles any make. It can be programmed for different makes too.
Plenty of other models might be more suitable though.
kenscbr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Believe it or not but I was looking at the autel range but I'm mind bogled by there range and a lot of there stuff says only comparable up to 2008 and not comparable with win 7 !!!! Then I seen a range up to 2012 but it looks as if they have slimed it down ? ( no Nissan and my daughter has a mixes that has a habit of bring on the airbag light for no reason !! So that fails with me ! I like there stuff though !!
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 7:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very confusing, win 7 issue is a problem for me too, haven't tried it in compatibility mode yet. Anything after 2008 will be OBD compliant by law. So the Nissan should be with a generic setting.
Used mine on a 59 plate Transit no probs.
The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:17    Post subject: Re: advise about buying a fault code reader / resetter Reply with quote

kenscbr wrote:
i wonder if any of yous want to advise me on a good handheld tool to buy ?
i want it to put out airbag lights and engine managment lights and abs lights on most cars !!!
and other things too but as long as it does the other things thats the most important thing ,
price range ??????? £250 but if the right tool came along i might go another £250 =£500 but that would be my limit and dont think i need to go that far , i have a garage (bodyshop) and depend on another guy to erase fault codes for me but would like to be able to do my own !
btw sorry if this is in the wrong section , move it to the right section if needed Smile
thanks

That sound like a pretty tall order, to be able to "put out" ABS, SRS and engine management lights on "most" cars for £250. When you say "most cars", is that anything from Ferrari to Ford? Also, what would be the oldest and newest cars you want to scan. Like most people I have tried a number of "cheaper" hand held scanner units. I currently have a Launch. But I still had to buy "Clip" to guarantee comms with all French cars! The Autel J701 mentioned earlier is an excellent too for the money, but by constantly re installing the different software makes seems to eventually "kill" the memory in the unit.

Good Luck
johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 10:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

"That sound like a pretty tall order,"

I'd agree with that.
Taking the subject back to basics, we have to look at the fact that after 2001 all cars had to be OBD2 compliant.
That means that a set of rules were set up so that everyone, not just dealers,  could scan a car and diagnose faults.
The rules conered primarily emissions modules awith some other functionalities.
The rules also covered the shape of the connector.
So this set of rules cover 5 of the available 16 pins and a plastic connector.
THAT'S IT FOLKS.
OBD2 done.
Now, the manufacturers can a and do use those other 11 pins to good use, carrying all sorts of info to and from the car.
This info has codes in, it runs at different speeds and this protocol protected jealously by the manufacturers.

Some clever chaps have understood this code for various cars, various chassis, even going a so far as to hack the codes and protocols for a whole manufacturer.
Some clever chaps have even amassed a lot of info to get scanners to work in a whole range of different manufacturers cars.
But no-one can say that their scanner works on all systems on all cars.
Some work on most systems on most common cars.

Taking the OP...sub 200 quid gets you engine management lights out on a good range of cars.
Gets access to emmissions faults and some other functionalities.
200-1000 increases the functionality and range of cars, gets you into airbags and abs etc in some cars.
Get  up to 5 grand and we are looking at most functions for a lot of cars.
At that end, you really need teaching though, the subject becomes very technical.
More expensive machines are avilable, you get the picture.

I'll say again though, no machine, regardless of cost can access all functions of all cars.

I have two scanners, a £180 Autel and a £60 Launch C Reader V.
Both can access most management lights, emission data and the likes.
kenscbr

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 22:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it was a tall order !!!! if money wasnt a problem i would probley buy a launch tool as thats one of the machines my local tech guy uses but at £1500 its over kill for me ,
as i said i have been looking at the autel but i get more and more lost the more i read up on the different models. the one that took my eye was the aa101 at about £239 but if you read through all the autel devices listed on ebay it gives a lot of different options saying its a combanation of 3 or 4 different devices ????? it states different model numbers ????
for e,g,
i like the idea of this one
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTEL-AA101-4-IN-1-JP701-EU702-US703-FR704-CODE-READER-ABS-Airbag-Reset-Tool-UK-/230676402272?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35b5629060
but what different is it to this one
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTEL-JP701-EU702-US703-FR704-AA101-MD801-CAR-DIAGNOSTIC-TOOL-FAULT-CODE-READER-/170803608293?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item27c4b03ae5
this one mentions the model md801 ??
the first one is £239 but the last one is £599 ???? is it the software thats making the difference ?
i am confused !!!!
so to sum it up and to answer the points mentioned !!!
it has been mentioned about what cars do i want this to work on !!
vw group,ford,vauxhall,nissan,and of course mitsubishi !! not to worried about the french stuff ,
so would the first one on this list do me (the one at £239) and how would i get round the win 7 problem (all my pc's are 7 atm)
thanks again ppl for the help !!!!
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2012 23:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought mine from "Discount Diagnostics" he down loaded the makes i wanted . I asked him for one that would do the makes I had and he set it up before dispatch. Remember Mitsubishi diesels before 2004 only ABS and Airbags work on the Asia setting on mine will reset codes and flash the dash lights for codes though.
Need to try win7 compatibility mode with it.
Best of luck it will be down to personal choice.
kenscbr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
I bought mine from "Discount Diagnostics" he down loaded the makes i wanted . I asked him for one that would do the makes I had and he set it up before dispatch. Remember Mitsubishi diesels before 2004 only ABS and Airbags work on the Asia setting on mine will reset codes and flash the dash lights for codes though.
Need to try win7 compatibility mode with it.
Best of luck it will be down to personal choice.

but as you can see the one you are talking about is listed at £!49 on there site and seems to be mainly set up for the jap market @£149
www.discountdiagnostics.co.uk/products/autel-maxidiag-jp701/4/
the aa101 is £295
www.discountdiagnostics.co.uk/products/autel-maxidiag-jp701/4/
but this is listed on the bay at £239
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AUTEL-AA101-4-IN-1-JP701-EU702-US703-FR704-CODE-READER-ABS-Airbag-Reset-Tool-UK-/230676402272?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item35b5629060
this is suposed to be a lot more  !! but is it or is it a case of getting a usless cd that i wont be able to load ?
geodrome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 9:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I needed, unless you have access to xp cd will be useless. There is no update online that I can find yet.
What about the software for a laptop and a usb to obd cable, another option.
pikeybob

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 10:04    Post subject: Check this site out Reply with quote

Have a look on here

http://www.obd4u.co.uk/

they have everything

regards

Rob
kenscbr

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

The autel aa101 is £299 on there but only mentions the one model number
( no 701/ 802 etc) so this is why I'm confused ? What's the difference with this one
And the other ones I've linked too on eBay ?
Meaning is the eBay one the same but has extra software ? If that is the case is the eBay one ok ?
One other thing I see about that site you linked to !!!!! I dought they are selling cheap Chinese copies of the launch x431 !!!
It looked a good price (£500ish) but it says it has to be updated via there own link and to not try and update via launches site as
It will break your devise !!!!!
geodrome

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2012 17:11    Post subject: Re: Check this site out Reply with quote

pikeybob wrote:
Have a look on here

http://www.obd4u.co.uk/

they have everything

regards

Rob

See they have a MUT 3 system for $1500
kenscbr

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2012 23:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok folks i have been doing a lot of research and spoke to 2 different sellers of these products and have the following info !!
both sellers didnt reconmend buying the autel aa101 (didnt matter what software came with it or what models it covered )
the reason is that it isnt updatable beyond 2008 and autel have droped it off there list of things to work with , thats the reason there are so many different offers conserning different software packages, they are just t6hrowing a bunch of cds at you and expecting you to try and get them to work on the aa101 ! (presuming you have an xp computer)
this was explained to me by one seller and confirmed by another , most of this info we could have problery guess and we allready knew most of it anyway (xp,2008,etc)
as a machine it does its job well but isnt on par with other model available to day (words of a seller )
what has been reconmended to me is the foxwell nt600 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Foxwell-NT600-UK-Airbag-ABS-SRS-Reset-Scan-Tool-Fault-Code-Light-Removal-Scanner-/221027543414?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash=item337644a976
i spoke to this seller www.beatthegarage.com/ and he said this was a far better machine that foxwell have just released a new software for and is fully updatable for the forseable future and has a bigger memory so doesnt need to be reloaded with different car manufactures data (its all on it )
i asked this seller what other machine would he reconmend if i wanted to spend a bit more money .
he said the best machine for the money is the autel mot pro (just releast in jun/july ) he hasnt got it listed yet but it retails at £600 (he offered it to me delivered £550) its seems a very good machine and its using the same software as the ds708 ! (i'm sure its a cut down version) i'll lets yous read up on it your selves (if yous want) but it is way more than a fault code/light tool .
to sum it all up !!!!!!!
i'm very tempted to go for the mot pro , yes i know i probley wont need its stuff and the foxwell probley would do me grand but mybe i could make use of the autel ? (and dont ask me why but i'm drawn to the autel brand for some stupid reason lol)
what do yous think guys ?
thanks again
kenscbr

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 23:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bimmerforums.co.uk/forum/f99/just-purchased-autel-mot-pro-eu908-t117202/
i'll let yous know if it works ??????? (half price !!!!!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: