2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

4wd problems 4llc not engaging and dreaded centre diff flash

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andyrep

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:20    Post subject: 4wd problems 4llc not engaging and dreaded centre diff flash Reply with quote

hi

problems with 55 plate shogun 3.2 Di-d auto equippe

can somebody please throw some light as to were to start, ive trolled this forum and others
i had this problem a few weeks back but found a reset procedure on line but didnt store web page DOH !!

the symptoms are as follows

problem 1

try to engage 4llc drop in to N move lever to 4llc all 4 green lights flash once per second move lever to drive/reverse green lights flash twice per second i dont think the that the 4llc is actully engaging allthough i do have drive, 4Hlc 4wd and 2wd at this time all work fine and you can hear the the bits moving underneath ive tried starting in 4LLc but this makes no difrence, the C/D light is steady at this point

problem 2

the whole 4wd system fails and im left with a flashing C/D light all green lights are off and sometimes but not all the ABS and ESP light illuminate as well
turn off ignition and it can clear some times leave it a couple of hours and it clears
this problem occurs towing or not
some times i can clear it by restarting in 4Hlc then moving lever to 4wd then 2wd
it was doing it every time i got in the car whilst on holiday last week then on the last couple of days it stopped doing it ?
driven 300 miles in out of 2wd 4wd and 4Hlc (not 4LLC as that doesnt work at all lol)

ive not started looking at system yet car is still covered until the 19th by a warranty that came with it but i just dont trust garages and would rather just sort it as i know these warranites are not worth the paper that they are printed on !!!
and it only covers to £250.00 which at a mitsi dealer aint a lot

cheers and thanks

Andy
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:20    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 17:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how the Mark 3's later SuperSelect works, but certainly on the Mark 2, you have to be stationary (or barely moving) to engage 4Llc. But at least on there, it's a physical link to the transfer box from the lever so you can shove really hard to get it in (with slight grinding sound if you get it wrong). It is hard to get into and out of 4Llc if you haven't used it for a while and can take a bit of brute force. But with the indirect system on the Mark 3, obviously you can't do that.

The flashing lights are purely because the system is set for one mode, but the transfer box is indicating it's not in that mode.

Not sure what to suggest - hopefully someone with more Mark 3 knowledge will be along shortly Smile
andyrep

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 19:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Rich

im used to the older system as used to have a Deli Smile
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you use all the positions on a regular basis? if not the switches have a propensity to stick, have done 7 in the last two months alone.

Go under the vehicle with a good multi purpose cleaning and lubricating spray, not WD40 though as it corrodes copper over time, and liberally spray all the switches to clean and lubricate them. Move the vehicle from 2H to 4H on the move at slow speeds several times to see if this is working properly, if so move off road to a grass verge or similar. Engage 4H and move the gear selector to N or P, move the transfer lever to the locked centre diff position, let it engage then disengage it, do this several times, then while in P or N move the selector to 4LLc position and see if it engages, if it does then engage and disengage it several times, this will free the switches and ensure the mechanisms are working.

Repeat this, but engage D or R on the gear selector every time and move forwards or backwards each time, 1/2 a car length will do, and move through all positions several times; also engage the rear diff lock to ensure this works and is free.

Do this at least once a month off road or on a grass verge or similar to keep the switches free and working, and spray them with lubricant twice a year to keep them clean and free.
geodrome

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take off the trim round the selector, there is a switch at the bottom of the leaver. It is electrically switched also check the vacuum pipes and valves there are a pair on the inner wing below the airbox.
andyrep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Do you use all the positions on a regular basis? if not the switches have a propensity to stick, have done 7 in the last two months alone.

Go under the vehicle with a good multi purpose cleaning and lubricating spray, not WD40 though as it corrodes copper over time, and liberally spray all the switches to clean and lubricate them. Move the vehicle from 2H to 4H on the move at slow speeds several times to see if this is working properly, if so move off road to a grass verge or similar. Engage 4H and move the gear selector to N or P, move the transfer lever to the locked centre diff position, let it engage then disengage it, do this several times, then while in P or N move the selector to 4LLc position and see if it engages, if it does then engage and disengage it several times, this will free the switches and ensure the mechanisms are working.

Repeat this, but engage D or R on the gear selector every time and move forwards or backwards each time, 1/2 a car length will do, and move through all positions several times; also engage the rear diff lock to ensure this works and is free.

Do this at least once a month off road or on a grass verge or similar to keep the switches free and working, and spray them with lubricant twice a year to keep them clean and free.

Hi Assassin

thanks for your response, ive only had the truck 3 months, and i have and will use 4wd regular as thats why i bought it as have a boat that i launch with it
i went underneath last night and sprayed a bit of WD40 (before i read your comments lol) but not sure what or were to spray , I sprayed all the connectors i could get at on ramps i also checked and cleaned the actuators near the air box
i now seems to move nicely between 2wd/4wd/4hlc but stil no 4llc
i dont have a rear diff lock Sad
but how long that will last is anybodys guess all the connectors i looked at looked pretty clean except the 2 near the air box
does anybody have any pics showing were all the switches and actuators are ?

thanks Andy
andyrep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
If you take off the trim round the selector, there is a switch at the bottom of the leaver. It is electrically switched also check the vacuum pipes and valves there are a pair on the inner wing below the airbox.

Hi

i dont think its the selector as when i switch from 4Hlc to 4Llc with the engine off i can hear a whiring sound
also some times the esp switches off but the 4L light never comes on except on start up then goes off again
im right in thinking for 4LLC to work that the esp goes off 4L light comes on along with 4 solid green and solid C/D orange light ?

if im to check the switches under the lever how do you get the cover off ?

cheers

Andy
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy:

If you go under the vehicle on the passenger side you will see the bank of switches which the 4WD selector runs against, it is a fan shaped aluminium housing and you just spray lots of Duck oil or 3in1 spray oil or similar around where the selector lever comes down, just lather it as it finds its way into them. Go inside the vehicle and fit the straw, push this down the hole in the plastic slide that the selector lever comes through and spray, move the selector one position forwards and repeat in 4H, move it one position forward again and repeat, then into 4L and repeat, this will clear your switches.
andyrep

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

assassin wrote:
Andy:

If you go under the vehicle on the passenger side you will see the bank of switches which the 4WD selector runs against, it is a fan shaped aluminium housing and you just spray lots of Duck oil or 3in1 spray oil or similar around where the selector lever comes down, just lather it as it finds its way into them. Go inside the vehicle and fit the straw, push this down the hole in the plastic slide that the selector lever comes through and spray, move the selector one position forwards and repeat in 4H, move it one position forward again and repeat, then into 4L and repeat, this will clear your switches.

cheers assassin

i will try this at the week end, as truck on its hols at moment Smile but without me Sad

andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Gearbox / transmission & 2WD / 4WD Q&A All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: