Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Headlight/Tailights/dash lights/central locking/radio/window

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fulch13

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 19:45    Post subject: Headlight/Tailights/dash lights/central locking/radio/window Reply with quote

Hi guys, recently bought a pajero, drove it home only to find that the central locking that was working on purchase, fan, radio and windows started working intermittently!!! Seem to come on and off as I drive! Haven't got a scooby doo what this could be? Have I got a bad earth, short circuit somewhere? I've checked the fuses that have been listed on here by the other owners, thankyou advice has been great!! BUT can't seem to shake it! Also the front headlights and rear Tailights are not working, found a 40A fuse int the engine fuse box, green and No8 from what ive read??? Has blown tried replacing it blew straight away, checked all bulbs, front and rear, only thing I found was corroded 3 pin plugs, (which wouldn't blow the fuse!) I'm
Honestly puzzled and running out of ideas, got a auto electrician coming over on Friday but still going to try and sort myself with a little help from you guys! Please please please give any advice, as it's all appreciated, it's a 1996 2.8 LWB Pajero, sorry also am I supposed to have the icons on the right hand side of the dash lit up? As I haven't got these either, again thankyou for any help and I look forward to hearing from you! Fulch
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 19:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

johndps

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does she start ok with all this going on.
That sounds like flat battery, just before the engine dies.
Start at the batteries, ensure the terminals are tight and clean.
I'd doubt the fuses are at fault just because of the number of unrelated circuits.
eg...headlights are on different fuse to sidelights.
Sidelights, dash lights and taillights are the same fuse...in the engine bay fusebox.
Fulch13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi thanks for the reply, yes the truck starts up, and runs without fail, the 40A fuse in the engine bay keeps popping, well I've only tried one! Checked all the bulbs etc, will have to do a battery test later, it has 2 batteries on it, does this make a difference? Like I said it starts runs without any bother, would a flat or dying battery pop the fuses???? Thanks for the reply! And hope to hear some more input, Fulch
johndps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Flat battery shouldn't pop the fuse, no.
I'd be looking at the starter and alternator earth wires.
Takes quite a bit to blow a 40amp fuse.
You'll probs find the autospark will diagnose in a matter of minutes and have fixed soon after.
But he'll charge an hour.  Smile
Fulch13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 14:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks gain for the reply, would a bad earth on the alternator/starter motor cause these symptoms? Will check any way, I've had a good quote for the electrician so not to concerned of I can't cure it! Have you had similar problems? Are the brake lights effected by this circuit as well? Again thanks for the reply any help is good as new to the pajero's and finding my way round them! Fulch
Fulch13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add, I've been and had the batteries tested this afternoon, they were sat, engine off at 12.4v ish a piece, heavy duty batteries should be 14v ish should t they? Would this cause the intermittent problems I have faced with the central locking etc,?
johndps

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 18:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

12.4 at rest is fine mate.
Usually go up to around the 14V when engine running.
Anything much more than that and you have problems.
Batteries that read under 12v at rest are questionable.
Fulch13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 18:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok matey, looks like the batteries have had some hammer so I'm going to change them anyway, as the battery tester said they required charge, so may be losing a little, any more ideas in the fuse that keeps popping??? HELP!!! Checked the earth conn's on the back of the alternator and appear to be tight and secure!
Tom Fletcher

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has a short on it somewhere a likely place is around the alternator look at the connections on the alternator I had one that was blowing fuses and the wire from the alternator was rubbing on the steering column then there is the diodes in the alternator that can blast the fuses, follow the wires from the batteries to the solenoid on the starter pull and riddle the wires it must be shorting to earth,for that 40amp fuse to blow it means it is something on the heavy voltage from the batteries,you should not need to change the batteries if they were blowing the fuses there would be evidence or a crack batteries can take a lot of punishment,another thing that can blow the fuses is the glow plugs and associated wiring and connections.
philx4

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

As part of the process of elimination, does/did the vehicle have a tow bar fitted?
Fulch13

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will check the wiring from the battery to the alternator etc tomorrow, I think that there is a short on somewhere! Must be!!! If I can't find it I'm sure the auto electrician coming out on Friday will!!! It has got a tow bar fitted, are these prone to causing trouble? I've had a look at those connections and they all look pretty good! I've disconnected the radio as well as I've read this can cause trouble!!! Are the wires from the battery to the alternator easy to trace? And if the diodes etc are causing the issue are they expensive? Or a quick fix? Tha ka again for your replies it's much appreciated! Fulch
Tom Fletcher

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2012 22:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fulch13 wrote:
Will check the wiring from the battery to the alternator etc tomorrow, I think that there is a short on somewhere! Must be!!! If I can't find it I'm sure the auto electrician coming out on Friday will!!! It has got a tow bar fitted, are these prone to causing trouble? I've had a look at those connections and they all look pretty good! I've disconnected the radio as well as I've read this can cause trouble!!! Are the wires from the battery to the alternator easy to trace? And if the diodes etc are causing the issue are they expensive? Or a quick fix? Tha ka again for your replies it's much appreciated! Fulch

If it is blowing the 40 amp fuse it is a short on the primary side of the electrics in other words the leads from the batteries and heavy voltage amperage side, the tow bar electrics would blow the corresponding fuse that it is connected to not the 40 amp one, does the car have two plugs on the tow bar one is for charging the caravan batteries they can cause problems as they are connected to the alternator in the car, the charging diodes  are in the alternator and if they are faulty you will need a new alternator the last time the 40 amp fuse went on my 2.5 it was the connection on the glow plug rail on top of the engine the wire had come loose after I had taken the inter-cooler off the charging wire from the batteries goes over the engine and down to the alternator is is a bit hard to follow it goes to the back of the alternator to a nut and a plug that you can not see from above but you can feel if they are loose remember to  disconnect the batteries when you do anything
Fulch13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 19:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Paj owners! Found the issue with the internal electrics I.e the intermittent faults with the windows/central locking/fan and clock, 100 amp alternator fuse blown in the engine bay fuse box, replaced it, starts all the time, charging the battery, I have tested this and also all internal electrics are working as they should! Just can't seem to bottom the headlight/ rear light trouble, got a guy coming on Friday (auto electrician) to have a look for me and he should bottom that! One thing I have noticed Is at the bottom of the sump, below the engine there appears to be a oil leak, not spitting much out but enough! I've read on here that this could be the sump gasket? Or the oil dipstick seal? Or the breather pipes??? Anyone got any clues on this as just want it squaring up now, above the breather pipes is dry it's under them looks like its at the front of the sump? Or could it be the crank seal? Anyone got any ideas how much this would be to do? Thanks again for all your replies and helping me get my truck right! Just want to enjoy it now!
Cheers Fulch 2.8 lwb!!!
Fulch13

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still suffering!!!! Had auto electrician out to help me find where this short is, had the power fuse box up and found 2 red wires from the 40A lamp fuse, one is a small wire that goes tithe relay in the same box and the other is a big red wired that goes off in a loom, to the L/H side of the car, split the loom in places trying to locate where it goes, doesn't go through to the fuse box or relays in the drivers foot well, and doesn't go down the left side to the rear of the car, had the tow bar disconnected and short still on, had column switch and all that side disconnected and short still on, pulled the relays and yes it's still on, has anyone got any idea where this thicker red wire goes too? The guy knows where's there's one with dash stripped off so he's going to have a look in that so it saves me money and time, but please help!!! Haven't got a clue with this one!!! Thanks for all your replies and hope to sort it soon!!!
Fulch 2.8 1996 Lwb
JAS828

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

had a similar  prob with my shogun lost dash lights tail lights there was a jumper connection behind passenger side indicator light take light out and there is a connection block were big cable goes and feeds another 7 wires
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: