2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Alternative Fuels

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
freedom.qm

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 16:54    Post subject: Alternative Fuels Reply with quote

Hi, My first time @ this site. Its fantastic. Got my pajero in April. Can't stop looking at it & drivin' it. 92(K) 2.5 Exceed. I have some questions. Does anybody have any experience with running their Pajero on vegetable oil Question I'm thinking of converting. Does anyone also know if the engine is likely to be a "common rail", or a "rotary injector pump". if its a rotary injector is likely to be a Bosch equivalent or a lucas?
Hope all this makes sense as I could write all I know about engines on the back of a postage stamp.
Looking forward to a reply or two
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 16:54    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

MartinWickford

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 17:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Afternoon Freedom

And welcome to the club

I do not have much knowledge of engines either so i am afraid i cannot really help on that one sorry.

But i am interested in running the old girl on Veg oil, never really thought about it before, but if it could be done then i am up for it, especially the price of more conventional fuel.

Please let me know your findings as i am sure a lot more people on here would convert as well if it is possible.

Kind regards

Martin
JohnnyRob

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://journeytoforever.org/biodiesel_svo.html

Interesting reading. I'll wait till a few of the members have tried and tested and then consider running veggie oil in my Paj and thus using diesel in the kitchen... Laughing
rickladds
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome -

Neither the 2.5 or the 2.8 is a "common rail" design, they are the old-fashioned (and in my view vastly better!) conventional injection pump system - and they should run on veg oil with no problem - except getting hold of it!
nobby
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate
ade

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 19:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

2.5`s will definately run sweet on a 50 / 50 mix, no noticable effects. just a bit messy and more fluffin around.
Summer months should be ok on pure veggie (not tried) but winter chills the stuff and it gets too thick to spray out of the injectors well enough to start it!

messed around with other fuels too, some good, some bad, so im off to esso now to lower the bank balance and top up with tiger p Laughing
freedom.qm

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies.
I think I have found a supply of veg oil, I've found a company that supply a conversion kit & a pre-heat thingy for the injector whatsit, so now I have to make a decision. If I go for it I'll keep you posted as to the success or failure(sincerely hope not) of the project.

By the way I have 67K on my clock, when should the belts be changed?

Thanks Again Smile
MartinWickford

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:49    Post subject: Oil prices Reply with quote

Good Morning Again Freedom

Just a quick question regarding the Veggie Oil, what will it cost to fill the tank with veggie oil then? and also what are the goverment doing about it? ie what tax are they going to put on it, if they havent already? and i take it (sorry i havent read the website) you cannot just use Flora?

Kind regards

Martin
oddjob2000

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 12:50    Post subject: Veggie Oil Fuel Reply with quote

HI,

See http://www.dieselveg.com/. Excellent starting point. There are however many many ways of using veggie oil in your diesel. Just try looking at "vegetable oil as fuel" in google. You can add white spirit to it and let it stand for a few days, you can use all sort of nasty chemicals to remove the glycerine to make it proper Bio-Diesel or you can just install a kit in your car to heat the oil before the injector pump sees it. You can also buy recycled cooking oil biodiesel for 65p per litre + VAT. (1000 litres minimum)

And YES you can just nip into <insert favourite supermarket here> and buy veg oil off the shelf. What you do have to do though is fill in a customs declaration monthly on your vegetable oil use and pay them 29(ish) pence per litre for what you burn in the car.

I'm about to convert the wife's Diesel VW Passart, as currently its in bits anyway. Although I think I've got more of a major problem converting my 3.0 petrol Paj to run on it. Anyone want to swop for a diesel, (or should that be now be called a veggie?)

All the best,
Dale.
MartinWickford

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 13:05    Post subject: Veggie Oil Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up for me.

One stupid question though or please call me thick.

Why would i tell customs that i am using Flora in my petrol tank, what an earth has it got to do with them, i dont tell them what i am using to cook my chips Very Happy so why should they be interested.

also isnt the chip fat that is used in a fish and chip shop then a wast after it has been used so could i use that if i got in with my friendly chippie owner ? i knw all the cats in the area would love me and i suppose to all that hate cats i would be seen as the modern pied piper as when i went for a drive all the fumes from the exhaust would emit a ovely smell for the cats to follow ha ha ha

i am not being funny or picky honestly, and if i could i would run my car on water if it was possible but it sickens me how someone can charge 60 odd pence plus vat for a waste product and the customs sitting there smiling thinking here they come another load of mugs to rip off...

Martin
oddjob2000

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 13:19    Post subject: HMC and E will get their slice of the pie... Reply with quote

HI,

Gutting and unfair as it is, HMC&E are very hot on getting their slice of alternative fuels, even if it is waste oil. I suppose the fact that you're using it says that it really isn't waste after all. There's no fuel duty on veg oil in Germany. It's encouraged there.

HMC&E have the power to do all sort of nasty things to you if you are caught not paying. I think it's only about 27.8 pence per litre for fuel duty on veg oil. You get caught being the pied piper and you'll not only get a fine, you could also get free accomodation for the next five years too.

However, it still makes economical and ecoligical sense and more to the point pokes a finger in the eye of the fossil fuel cartel.

R's
Dale.
wayne99

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that the belts should be changed every 100.00 km, But if i was you and you do not know if it has been changed then change it now. Dont forget that these are made from rubber and can perish especially if it is the original still fitted , it will be nearly 12 years old, Shocked
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Posted: Sat May 29, 2004 1:20 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you will find that the belts should be changed every 100.00 km, But if i was you and you do not know if it has been changed then change it now. Dont forget that these are made from rubber and can perish especially if it is the original still fitted , it will be nearly 12 years old,

what have belt changes got to do with vegatble oil Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive just read the question on belts that will teach me wont it Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed
JohnnyRob

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark.bass wrote:
ive just read the question on belts that will teach me wont it Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

lol - kinda off topic, though Rolling Eyes

Back to the thread - HMCE seize cars running illegally on red diesel - the same law will apply on untaxed 'alternative' fuels. Be warned!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: