Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Alternative Fuels

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LWB

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since reading a few of the threads on alternative fuels i have been running a 50/50 mix of cooking oil and diesel for about 6 weeks and have had no problems. Just the odd comment from my two lads when i stop and open a door to get them out.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 8:34    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

seekay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 20:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems to good to be true chip oil/mazola wonder what the outputs will be at M O T time & the long term effects on the engine catalytic converter etc may save a few quid now but derv is for me Paj & mazola is for me chips,
TDZ4

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seekay, there isn't a catalytic converter on diesels Shocked
mark.bass

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

seekay wrote:
seems to good to be true chip oil/mazola wonder what the outputs will be at M O T time & the long term effects on the engine catalytic converter etc may save a few quid now but derv is for me Paj & mazola is for me chips,

outputs from mot will be as follows tester starts car smells chips feels hungry rushes your mot to get some food misses all the faults and car passes what a result now thats wishfull thinking aint it Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
DOUG.COM

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 22:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

we don't get faults at MOT time mark Very Happy derv now 84p a litre round here now Sad old chip oil looking more promising Very Happy
seekay

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2004 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dry there was the last time I looked on my wifes diesel car & also on me VW transporter van. sure theres one on me Paj as well but dont pick it up until Friday
oddjob2000

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:34    Post subject: - Emmissions - better on veg oil Reply with quote

<green>
Your MOt tester might get hungry, but he'll also notice that the exhaust is much cleaner. Our VW Passat went from 0.85 on last MOT to 0.6 on this MOT. No sulphur in the fuel either, so less acid rain too.
</green>
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seekay, it's NOT too good to be true.

Diesel is horrible stuff. It's basically just one of the left overs from refining of crude oil for petrol production. It's the governments that petrochemical companies that want us to use diesel. From the government's point of view, they make a killing in taxes and keep the big money petrolchemical companies happy by making it hard/expensive for people to legally use alternative fuels. From the point of view of the petrochem companies...well they're laughing as they're making a killing on selling a by-product of petrol production.

So, if diesel use declined the petrochem companies would have a by-product that they needed to get rid of. To do this all they'd need to do is pump it back down into the oil reserves from where it came, keeping all that CO2 safely locked up. If large scale vegetable oil production took over as the source for light fuel oil then this would be great as this process is carbon neutral. i.e. crops are grown which take up CO2 from the atmosphere, oil is extracted and burnt in diesel engines which releases around about the same amount of carbon. Dino diesel increases the carbon balance as it releases carbon that has until now been locked up in the oil reserves.
miketree

Location: East Yorkshire (Half way up on the right hand side)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to know why Diesel is more expensive than Unleaded?
PeteMillis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only because the petrochem companies want to get as much money as possible and the government wants as much money as possible. So the only fuel that gets sold a little cheaper is standard unleaded as they want to be seen to encourage the use of this "green" fuel. They've got us over a barrel. There's no significant difference in environmental impact between diesel, unleaded and super unleaded. There was a difference between unleaded and leaded so I understand why unleaded was cheaper than leaded when it was first introduced. But there's no reason why it should be cheaper than diesel. Same with super unleaded. Most people that buy this are driving higher performance cars. There's no significant difference in production costs (pennies per thousands of litres), they both release the same amount of carbon when burnt, yet the petrolchem companies know they can get more money out of motorists by implying it's a superior product. It's still *beep* petrol and does not cost 10p per litre more to produce!
rambrose

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 13:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please Please Please be careful. As already mentioned, if you don't declare you're using it and pay the tax you could end up with a hefty fine or worse loose your pride and joy.
I've just requested documentation so that I can apply and pay some tax Twisted Evil on about 18Ltrs of cooking oil which works out at a mix of 20%.
It's amazing how long a tank full of fuel lasts. Wink Wink I'll carry the paperwork with me just in case i'm stopped 8)
seekay

PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 16:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rambrose I know what you are saying is likely to be true but how is a diesel fuel owner/driver supposed to know I have never been told in any DVLA leaflets car tax reminders or seen any ads on the telly like everything else in the UK supposed to be a mindreader. Do anything wrong & you will have some w----r saying ignorance of the law is no excuse followed by a hefty fine to some hardworking tax paying individual who did not know the ins & outs of the law. (Think I better stop here b4 I get carried away).
rambrose

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 17:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it’s a couple of years old but have a read
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk_news/story/0,3604,807299,00.html

I applied to HM C&E and got sent an EX103 form and a couple of booklets.
This was typical government style forms which just made me confused.
Was I using a Bioblend or Fuel substitute?
I gave them a bell. The guy at the other end wasn’t to switched on but after reading the same booklets as me he concluded that by adding cooking oil to diesel it’s a fuel substitute not a bioblend as this is mixing cooking oil with diesel that you haven’t paid tax on.
Guess what, fuel substitutes are taxed at 47.1p\litre while a bioblend is 27.1p\litre.
Not sure where I could get duty free diesel. Without regular trips abroad and in suitable quantities to store.
It seams like another case of rip off Britain.
Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
TDZ4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

seekay wrote:
Hi Dry there was the last time I looked on my wifes diesel car & also on me VW transporter van. sure theres one on me Paj as well but dont pick it up until Friday

Hi seekay, sorry only just noticed your reply. You are correct, my comment should have been limited to the Paj diesel Embarassed

While more modern diesels may have converters I'd be suprised if even up to 2001 Pajs have them, certainly my 3.2DI-D didn't. Do you think your Paj has?

I notice that in future they reckon we're going to have to get used to filling urea tanks as the NO2 will get converted to Nitrogen and Oxygen using urea converters. Exclamation
seekay

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2004 18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on this rambrose rip em off if they don't complain rip em off again the sad thing is that us motorist's have an awful lot of power if we could just stick together (look what happened in a couple of days when the pickets were at the refineries over the fuel tax) , can you imagine if everyone in the country stopped using their car for a couple of weeks the chaos on public transport & the loss in revenue to the government on duty & tax on fuel, I have a feeling that it would only last a week if that & the powers that be would have to listen & take notice of motorist's that are fed up with being used to bale out other areas that need funding. I'm getting carried away again so I will stop here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: