eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2.5TD or 2.8TD?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 17:45    Post subject: 2.5TD or 2.8TD? Reply with quote

I’m in the market for a SWB 4x4 since stupidly bought a impreza turbo instead of a 4x4 last year thinking it would be cheaper to run and its eating me out of house and home 18mpg on a good day so only 200 miles out of £70 petrol so looking at a diesel swb 4x4 again but was put off pajeros/shoguns originally due to rust and the habit for head gaskets plus import insurance but was wandering how much difference there is between the 2.5TD and the 2.8TD for example is one cheaper to run than the other does one suffer more problems ect.. Since at the moment I’m looking at Nissan Terrano or Isuzu Troopers but thinking the Pajeros are cheaper but wondering why when there are still lots on the road?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 17:45    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

shogun-fife

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had a 2.8 manual and currently a 2.5 auto and if anything I think the 2.8 was slightly better on fuel. Each haa its own problems although generally both are strong engines which will go on to do starship enterprise mileage if maintained properly.

2.8 pajero imports suffer from fuel pump seal failure due to the different diesel in the UK, while UK 2.8 shoguns do not have this issue. They will however often have more rust as many pajeros have only been over here for 8-9 years. Also crank pulleys are known to fail on the 2.8. Not major problems though.

2.5s dont have the pump seal issues but may feel underpowered compared to the 2.8 (98bhp vs 125). Maybe not such a big deal on a swb?  Both engine models can have head issues stemming from overheating but again good maintenance of the cooling system, regular fluid changes etc will always minimise the risk.

My 2.5 is a nicer truck than my old 2.8 despite being older, if I was to buy another then engine choice wouldn't be a major factor. There are also the petrol V6 options too of course thumbup
mick1969
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 18:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

id opt for the 2.8 not much in it mpg wise but alot more power
shogunsportj14

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 20:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.8 and my dad has 2.5 much different in the power department 2.5 bit sluggish. But like mick says not much in it mpg wise
Grendel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 15:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

THREAD REVIVAL:

Fed up with constantly fixing the Freelander to be told " That's normal for a Land Rover" so going to sell and buy a SWB Shogun/Pajero from fils pajero if he can source one.

But I have a few questions:

I guess for £1500 I should be looking more at the condition of the car rather if its 2.5 or 2.8?

Also besides the shogun having rear windows and cheaper insurance what other differences are there between the UK & Import SWB?

Do you get less MPG with an Auto?

How much difference to MPG and handling do a suspension lift and bigger tyres make?
The procrastinator

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:
THREAD REVIVAL:

Fed up with constantly fixing the Freelander to be told " That's normal for a Land Rover" so going to sell and buy a SWB Shogun/Pajero from fils pajero if he can source one.

But I have a few questions:

I guess for £1500 I should be looking more at the condition of the car rather if its 2.5 or 2.8?

Also besides the shogun having rear windows and cheaper insurance what other differences are there between the UK & Import SWB?

Do you get less MPG with an Auto?

How much difference to MPG and handling do a suspension lift and bigger tyres make?

If you're looking at buying a 20yr old 4x4 then condition is everything. On paper a 2.8 is an improvement of 2.5, but neither is exactly 'fast' to be fair. I've been happy enough with my 2.5 for nearly 10yrs although "traffic light grand prix" or "drifting" round macdonalds car parks is somethiing I cant do! Laughing
bravehrt17

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definetely, the manual is more economic to the auto, but also depends where you use it...
High way? Green laning? Town drive?

If you dont care about the little extra power of the 2.8, a 2.5 manual is the cheaper to run..(maybe up to 25% cheaper than an auto 2.8)
teslacoil

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:55    Post subject: Re: 2.5TD or 2.8TD? Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:
I’m in the market for a SWB 4x4 since stupidly bought a impreza turbo instead of a 4x4 last year thinking it would be cheaper to run and its eating me out of house and home 18mpg on a good day

Hello,
Don't expect significantly more than 18 around town (there are countless threads on here regarding mpg) the SWB will be a bit better however. I've had both a 2.5 and a 2.8, and the 2.8 is much nicer to drive in my mind - a more relaxed drive. The 2.5 will have a harder time if you tow as well.
Mine were both autos though, and they tend to be a relaxed drive regardless. A 2.5 manual would no doubt be quicker than a 2.8 auto.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 15:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres will make a big difference to fuel consumption. Not just going from Highway to AT or MUDs, but the make will have an effect too. And that's just on a standard factory tyre size!
Go larger and it only gets worse!
Personally a 2.8 SWB is my favourite.
Pajero II SI

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2023 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

since recently I'm owner of 2nd generaton LWB Pajero 2.5 TD from 1997. It has almost 290.000 km on the clock. The interior is quite ok and the chassis and the body are without heavy corrosion and rust. That is why I also decided to buy it. Unfortunately after only 300 km droven, the engine head gasket took fairwell, so that some extensive work needs to be done on the engine given the millage.

My big dillema now is, if it is maybe worth finding another 2.8 L engine and put it in? The present 2.5 L one is really lazy to drive, and it require a lot of gear shifting when driving on hilly roads.

Does anyone has his own experience in driving 2.5 and 2.8 L Pajeros? Is difference significant or not? For example; I have experience with Nissan Terrano II 2.7 and 3.0 L engines. And the difference is like night and day. The bigger one is much more responsive and "alive" compared to smaler one.

And to emphasize: I do not expect this kind of vehicle to be a racing car, this is clear to me.
emax
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello. I think from memory it will not fit, something to do with the gearbox and extra lift on the 2.8. have  search on here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Newbies All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: