Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

White smoke - even when engine temp is already warm

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 13:43    Post subject: White smoke - even when engine temp is already warm Reply with quote

Hi all!

Your comments & suggestions would be most appreciated...

I just finished the rebuild of my 2.5 4D56T 3 weeks ago.  Took it out for a break in trip this week and got a good 500kms on it.  Will be doing an oil change this week.

The rebuild was a success but there is one concern that I am not able to address: white smoke during acceleration (almost not visible at idle)
-  The injectors & injection pump are newly calibrated
-  Timing set to the 0 mark
-  Has the thermostat
-  Intake manifold originally has no EGR fitted
-  Checked all the glow plugs and all are working
-  new fuel / air filters
-  new fuel lines / hoses (except for the return hose)
-  aircon is working perfectly
-  engine temp is controlled by the thermostat (there used to be no thermostat)
-  No diesel / oil contamination in my coolant (as water / coolant is still same color)

* White smoke persists even after 3hours of continuous driving
** One of the temp senders is not wired (one closer to front cover with single connection) - as the harness does not have a wire for this, but clearly this should be connected somewhere.  Only the one further from the front cover is wired.

Engine could be running lean as white smoke (faint) comes out of the valve cover now that the rings have not yet properly set.

I have not cleaned the inter-cooler yet... but if that was the prob, black smoke should be the case.

Your thoughts please...

TIA!
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 14, 2013 13:43    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just an update... The white smoke is actually bluish... Head is ok.

I cleaned the catch can, intercooler, and checked the turbo. All ok in that avenue.

I also rechecked the timing and belts. All ok in that department.

Now the paj runs quieterand has 50% less smoke than before and runs with more power.

Although the smoke has lessened and some power brought back, i still see 20% smoke on acceleration and 5-10% on a 1200rpm idle. I set the idle higher and will revert back to the original rpm after breakin.

Is this normal on the paj to have blue smoke  during breakins?

I am not lsing oil either, but mileage is still not that efficient.
fattyfattyboomalatty

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you check to see if yours has the gauze filter in the rocker cover?
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 1:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi fatty.

The one i have has the double layered sheet metal covering the direct path to the breather.

The air flow is strong at this point so it might not have the gauze filter.

Tried poking it...as the sheets cant be taken off. - cudnt feel any filters there.

And i cleaned it thoroughly during the rebuild.
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from a 2 hr run on the paj...

Uphill does produce blue smoke. On hard acceleration, i do get 90-100% blue smoke. It would look grayish in the shade but when sunlight catches the smoke, it is blue.

I checked the temps of each exhaust port:
- c1 137*C
- c2 128*c (had a hard time getting a reading as the turbo cover only left an inch window for the infrared temp to have a view of the manifold)
- c3 140*c
- c4 139*c

The paj runs with power and idles very well. Blue smoke is 10-20% at idle.

It starts easily too.

During the rebuild, i only changed and lapped the valves as the guides were still within measurement, new valve seals too.

This has me stumped... Will be checking the intercooler in a while to verify if it caught smoke after yesterday's clean.

The catch can shows no sign of oil deposits at the window tube.

Mileage from rebuild is 900kms.
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I was keen to determine if the turbo was the prob so i disconnected both the feed and intake hoses of the turbo and ran the 4d56 for a few blocks. Behold! Very little trace of blue smoke. Mostly black as a normal aspirated diesel would put out on load. And at idle, there was no smoke at all.

Note: little oil trace on intercooler hoses unlike before the intercooler cleaning.

I had less pull but only 5-10% smoke. It was a noisy run but a necessary one. But this couldnt be the setup unless i permanently take the turbo out, which i dont want.

So my next cancelation step was to reattach the turbo and detached the catch can hose going to the filter inlet pipe. I just ran that hose down the chassis as the oil seems to be coming from the catch can hose.

Had much to do today and wasnt able to clean the air passages that i already cleaned yesterday. For sure there are still oil traces there since running the paj without the breather connected (but with turbo) still produces smoke - 30-40% on load.

If the residues clear out and this goes away, then it is surely the breather hose thats the cause. Im ruling out the turbo as i idled on high revs with the intercooler detatched and the turbo didnt put out oil. There is freewheeling and with very little to no play on the shaft.
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
fattyfattyboomalatty
Posted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 19:37    Post subject:
did you check to see if yours has the gauze filter in the rocker cover?

Fatty, i am looking at this now too. I think all mitsu diesels have this gauze on the covers? Will take pics too to add to that thread.

But mine has good air flow. The degreaser may not have been able to clean the oil traps.  From my update above, the oil from the breather is most likely a candidate as i collected about 200ml of oil from a 500 km run from last week. But im sure, there were more, just suck into the engine, thats why it wasnt visible or accumulated in the catch can.

This is the thread link for reference: gauze filter / oil trap clogging -

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=84283&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=blowing+oil+rocker&start=15
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 17:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse the  puns But I think it means a New POPE has been elected Rolling Eyes  Laughing
Hardcore_Shad

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing  not quite yet! Haha!

I just finished dismantling the valve cover and to my surprise, it didnt have the gauze filter inside. On naturally aspirated engines, this kind of baffling is alright but for turbo fitted engines, there should be some kind of baffling filter installed to minimize oil leaving the breather hose port, just like in bmw engines.

Will try see if a filter mod can be done on the valve cover and will post some updates on the mods section, with the link to that thread posted here as well.  Very Happy

Btw, thanks fatty for hooking me up with this department as I wouldnt have thought of checking for a gauze filter in the cover had it not for his suggestion. Cheers!  Very Happy
iworkszim

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 20:46    Post subject: 4d56 blue smke Reply with quote

how did u resolve this please I have the same prob
iworkszim

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2017 21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hardcore_Shad"]Laughing  not quite yet! Haha!

I just finished dismantling the valve cover and to my surprise, it didnt have the gauze filter inside. On naturally aspirated engines, this kind of baffling is alright but for turbo fitted engines, there should be some kind of baffling filter installed to minimize oil leaving the breather hose port, just like in bmw engines.

Will try see if a filter mod can be done on the valve cover and will post some updates on the mods section, with the link to that thread posted here as well.  :

how did u solve this
Conss04

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 18:27    Post subject: Did anyone fix this problem Reply with quote

Did anyone fix this problem
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: