Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Mk 3 Shogun winch bumper

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimmyw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59    Post subject: Re: Mk3 shogun bumper Reply with quote

Rob.ie wrote:
artoispfc wrote:
I don't want to ask too many questions on me first post an I'm sure the subjects been gone over a lot of times, but wheels an tyres....I'm just looking to get a new set, an thinking steels rather than original alloys. It's more the size I'm keen to get advice on, should I stick to 16" or go 17" only I've heard different opinions....an then for tyres, I've got 265/70/16 currently, just wondering if people think stick or move to 275/75/16????? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, an I apologise in advance if these questions have already been asked an answered.

One of the problems you face with a move to a larger size is that the torque-converter in the auto gearbox will probably lock up less frequently leading to higher fuel consumption and gearbox temperatures. They can be sensitive to changes like that more than the manual versions.

I have a set of 305-70-16's to put on ours over the coming weeks (33" diameter) and I expect it to be thirstier and lock-up less easily on all surfaces & speeds. I expect ours will be mainly for off-road with only the odd day here and there on the road, so I'm not overly worried in our case.

I'd better pull the finger out and see can I sort that for you
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Icknield
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've finally got round to fitting the winch tray that Chris made for me in May.

It's rather gloomy here today for pictures but hopefully these will show how it fits.

The number plate is a temporary fix but I'll get around to drilling and tapping a couple of fixing points later!

Chris' test bed for the winch was, I believe, an early Mk3 (i.e. without round fog lights) and I suspect it did not have AC. I only say this as although the tray fitted my 2003, it was a snug fit in front of the condenser and care is needed lifting it into and out of place.

Otherwise, fitting is a case of removing grille and bumper, cutting off the front of the two longitudinal chassis members (to gain access for fitting new bolts), cutting out the the "slats" from the bumper plus a few extra cms at the bottom of the opening to allow for the recovery points welded on to the winch tray.

The tray has standard mounting holes for most winches but if you have a wider than usual unit (as in so-called high-speed winches) then some trimming of one side of the tray will be needed.

I can just reach the clutch on my winch through the front opening but depending on the model fitted it might be necessary to cut a hole in the top of the bumper/bottom of the grille, which would certainly make the installation look less tidy...if that's important to you.

I couldn't get the bumper or grille to fit over the solenoid pack in the standard position (bolted to winch motor casing) so I have extended the solenoid to motor cables and have these in the engine compartment while I work out where and how to fit solenoid, emergency cut-off and split charger. It may be possible to fit a smaller solenoid behind the grille but as I'll also be looking for a home for the wireless remote and wander lead fittings....some more investigation is needed.

I don't know whether Chris has actually produced a full winch bumper yet for the Mk3. I had been interested in one but decided to go with the winch tray because it was available! Of course, the standard bumper is a lightweight unit not designed for heavy off-road use but the approach angle is not too bad and I prefer the "discrete" winch tray look so long as it will do the job. The final decider for me was that at about 50 kgs or so, the combined weight of tray and winch should mean I can get away without upgrading the front springs, which would probably have been needed with the additional weight of a heavy metal bumper.

Tony
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks superb tony Cool  Cool nice and discrete too(unlike a winch bumper).To me that looks far better,keeps the original  look of truck without ruining the bumper Cool  Cool
Rob.ie

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 16:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for posting the pics!  Cool

What winch have you gone with? If I were to go this route some day I'd be the same in wanting the handle hidden away for a neater finish.
Icknield
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob.ie wrote:
Cheers for posting the pics!  Cool

What winch have you gone with? If I were to go this route some day I'd be the same in wanting the handle hidden away for a neater finish.

I only fitted a winch as I had a brand new one, bought for a previous project, sitting in the garage  Embarassed  

At the time I bought it (2011?), the name was Champion C9500HS but I believe it's now a Warrior C9500 Samurai HS.

Probably teaching my grandmother to suck eggs but if you're in the market for a new one then the best deals I've ever seen have been at the big Land Rover shows.

Tony
Rob.ie

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Won't be in the market for a good while yet, but good to know that you can fit a decently powerful winch in there without interference.  Cool
V12 rick

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks good Laughing as venn said nice and discrete,very tidy Very Happy
brsvs

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 14:19    Post subject: Front Winch Mounting Plate Reply with quote

Just got an excellent front winch mounting kit sent from ASFIR.com and only £18 carriage to the UK well made and complete with all bolts brackets etc.The part no for their MK3 is 567020
Mike Bishop

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2020 13:01    Post subject: Re: Mk 3 Shogun winch bumper Reply with quote

Icknield wrote:
Does anyone have any leads to winch bumpers or a winch tray for a 2003 Shogun 3.2?

So far as I can see, options are the Taubenreuther Hidden Winch Mount from TBR, which only takes the Warn M6000 (and costs almost £900!) or ARB Sahara bumpers at between £1k and £1.5k plus a long wait for shipping from Oz and the problem that the bumper has to be removed to service the winch.

I've tried Leyland Fabrication but no answer to contact page on their website or email (they're not taking phone calls apparently).

I realise everything is easier with a Mk 2 but are there really no other options for the more recent models?

Any help much appreciated.

Tony

It's amazing and very useful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Vehicle modifications All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: