Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

2001 3.2 Di-D Shogun Error Codes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pipes are under the rear wheel arch behind a plastic cover. Mud and road dirt collects in there and rots the breather pipes away. Do you off road in it? Drive on beaches?
As for diesel you don't know what you are getting when you fill your tank most will be fine it could be just bad luck and get a bad batch. Diesel by its nature can have some water in it. That's what causes the dreaded diesel bug in boats.
What part of Aus you in? The wife's from Sydney.
The 4x4 scene there is amazing. Just a pity Mitsubishi's don't get the respect they deserve from toyota and Nissan owners.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:24    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

geodrome

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
The pipes are under the rear wheel arch behind a plastic cover. Mud and road dirt collects in there and rots the breather pipes away. Do you off road in it? Drive on beaches?
As for diesel you don't know what you are getting when you fill your tank most will be fine it could be just bad luck and get a bad batch. Diesel by its nature can have some water in it. That's what causes the dreaded diesel bug in boats.
What part of Aus you in? The wife's from Sydney.
The 4x4 scene there is amazing. Just a pity Mitsubishi's don't get the respect they deserve from toyota and Nissan owners.

Forgot to say drivers side obviously below filler cap.
tom-ss

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.

I don't 4 x 4 often, but probably put it on the beach every 3 months or so, and the odd dirt track.  The owner before me didn't 4x4 but he spent a bit of time on gravel tracks.

I'm really not confident that the mm service centre has checked all these things. The just flushed the injectors and that didn't work, so they're saying 'must be the pump'.  Its tricky coz it's stuck there and I can't get it home to do some problem solving myself, unless I tow it. Not that I really know what I'm looking for anyway.

I live in Perth (most isolated capital city in the world apparently).
tom-ss

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks mate.

I don't 4 x 4 often, but probably put it on the beach every 3 months or so, and the odd dirt track.  The owner before me didn't 4x4 but he spent a bit of time on gravel tracks.

I'm really not confident that the mm service centre has checked all these things. The just flushed the injectors and that didn't work, so they're saying 'must be the pump'.  Its tricky coz it's stuck there and I can't get it home to do some problem solving myself, unless I tow it. Not that I really know what I'm looking for anyway.

I live in Perth (most isolated capital city in the world apparently).
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 8:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has it died completely then?
T took me about 4 hrs to remove the pump and manifold etc, i was making as much space to work as I could though, also finding my way round that side of the engine. Re-fitting was about 3hrs. Making sure pump was on properly all timed right. Then 1st turn of key it roared into life. Dealer might be allowing for time on the diagnostic machine once fitted to make sure everything is set up properly. Of pump properly set-up at repair shop then it will work out the box.

If you don't thoroughly remove the salt and sand after beach trips, then that could cause the pipe-work to rot.

I heard a story of a chap taking his 4x4 into a garage complaining it was bouncing all over the place. All the shock absorbers had rusted away. Turned out he took it to the beach, drove through the water and never washed the salt water off when he got home. Embarassed
tom-ss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well my dealer wants 3.5 hrs ($500) just to fit the sensors, not including paying for them.  This is why I want to get it home and do it myself.  I will find out on Monday if it is drive-able.  However, my inklings are that it will probably be the pump in any case.

Would the fuel filter not filter out any shrapnel from a potentially damaged filler line? (excuse my ignorance here).

I'm considering cutting my losses and selling the car after this. With 200,000kms on the clock, the injectors will probably need doing soonish (@ $2000), and my shock absorbers are also going to need doing soon ($2000).  Might be worth letting someone else start afresh.

I doubt I will buy a mitsu again after all this.  I know its not entirely mitsu's fault, but ultimately they are ultimately responsible to the ridiculous scarcity and price of the pump that they chose to fit to the engine.  Particularly when a quick google will find many many people have issues with the pump.  I just cannot reconcile the fact that it costs $6000+ for a part to be replaced on a car that is worth $10-15,000.  Its a shame, I've really liked my pajero until now, but this is just absurd.
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 13:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that the pump is ridiculous, I think that is one of the reasons they went full common rail.

The sensors are an hour tops.

It is water that causes corrosion in the pump rotor head, not debris.
This is the rotor head part of the pump, built to very fine tolerances. Any corrosion in here affects the sequence of pulses to the injectors, as diesel is either over or under supplied, the fuel is supplied in pulses down to the injector under high pressure, in a metered way. To much it could surge and black smoke over fuelling, to little wont start or stalls.  

This is the throttle control part which can also fail, it adjusts the rotor when you press the go pedal. As it sits on the top of the pump it can collect moisture from water vapour and rust out badly.

This is the bottom part of the above picture which connects the rotor to the throttle controller
It opens and closes the rotor.

This bit can fail on its own but usually the whole lot goes.

As for part prices Australia seems expensive, but then wages are generally higher and are more in proportion. My father in laws gardener in Sydney charges $au50 per hour to cut his grass about £30, I'm lucky I can get £15 an hour as others round where I stay only charge £10 an hour.
tom-ss

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah the economy here is cranking along (still selling a lot of iron ore to the chinese).  Some big earners on the mines, making it more difficult for the rest of us.

Its actually cheaper for me to have a pump shipped from the UK to oz, and then me ship my old pump back.  The risk is obviously if the pump is dodgy, I bear the labor costs of refitting another.  The dealer would otherwise wear this.

Thanks for all the info/pics.  I assume those pics aren't of your old one?  It looks in good condition.

I'm more convinced its the pump from what you say.  It is blowing black smoke/surging.  Then has stalled on two occasions.  Will still probably try the sensors.
geodrome

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 16:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom-ss wrote:
Yeah the economy here is cranking along (still selling a lot of iron ore to the chinese).  Some big earners on the mines, making it more difficult for the rest of us.

Its actually cheaper for me to have a pump shipped from the UK to oz, and then me ship my old pump back.  The risk is obviously if the pump is dodgy, I bear the labor costs of refitting another.  The dealer would otherwise wear this.

Thanks for all the info/pics.  I assume those pics aren't of your old one?  It looks in good condition.

I'm more convinced its the pump from what you say.  It is blowing black smoke/surging.  Then has stalled on two occasions.  Will still probably try the sensors.

That was my old one before the repair. Don't strip it down if you do it will need re-calibrated on a test bench. I sent it away and got it rebuilt, there are no new ones available only re-built pumps and the parts are getting scarce.
tom-ss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your help geodrome.

Just one other query - the mitsu centre says the problem is still intermittent.  Although there is a chance I will get there and it wont be drive-able, I am thinking of trying to drive it home to do the sensors, as they want to charge 3.5hrs to do them.  

Is there a risk in doing this, in terms of causing more damage elsewhere?

cheers
geodrome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom-ss wrote:
Thanks for all your help geodrome.

Just one other query - the mitsu centre says the problem is still intermittent.  Although there is a chance I will get there and it wont be drive-able, I am thinking of trying to drive it home to do the sensors, as they want to charge 3.5hrs to do them.  

Is there a risk in doing this, in terms of causing more damage elsewhere?

cheers

I noticed you had a problem in 2010 on the Victoria Pajero site. Is this the same one?
If the pump is damaged driving it wont damage anything else the car might stall more, might not, might cut out and then not re-start. It will give up eventually if the pump is gone.
tom-ss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

No never had a problem before. I only bought it around 2010!

I posted about this issue in the past few weeks but not before...
geodrome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom-ss wrote:

There was a tom-ss who made a post on the aussie forum thread had started in 2010. He was from Perth too. Someone on the SA forum has just asked how common pump faults are too.
tom-ss

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

geodrome wrote:
tom-ss wrote:

There was a tom-ss who made a post on the aussie forum thread had started in 2010. He was from Perth too. Someone on the SA forum has just asked how common pump faults are too.

That could only be me surely! I only posted the issue last week. I joined the forum in Nov 2010 - is that the date you read...?

Yeah the whole thing seems to be a relatively common occurrence as many of these engines exceed 200,000kms on the clock.  Makes the scarcity of the pumps even more ridiculous
geodrome

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 11:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones in the uk are failing much sooner. I personally put that down to the pipework rotting, allowing excess water to enter the system.
It was an old topic I saw.
Older cars are often bought by people with lower disposable incomes, who need a larger vehicle and cant buy new. When something like this goes we get stuffed. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: