Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What to stay away from? Or what to go for?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paul041075

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 21:32    Post subject: What to stay away from? Or what to go for? Reply with quote

Looking at caravan to tow with my shogun sport v6/LPG.

So knowing very little about them I need to know what's good and bad, budget wise it will be no more than 5k, prefer 4 birth but would have a two birth as its only me and the mrs plus the two dogs which could sleep in an awning if it came to it. Want something with a separate shower not over the toilet probably an end bathroom one.

Any suggestions????
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 21:32    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 21:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice would be go to nearest caravan dealer(leave wallet at home Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation  Exclamation ) and go view/look around/sit in etc etc  a few of them.Think/imagine staying in it,think does the lay out suit etc.Then once got a rough idea on lay out look for similar but in price range.

4 birth imo is better option as gives a little more flexibility and can still use as storage or seats when not used,also easier and more popular to sell on in future(families).

Decide size,is 17ft enough,want a big one Shocked 25ft maybe so twin axle.How much room have you got(twin axle bit big for most drives and cant be pushed as both axles work against so reverse only with motor)

So if happy with single axle,end bath room,end bed room,fixed bed room...........hence have a look and see what suits.

Lots of makes,5k will bag you a good one,also not like cars,they hold value so chances are in a couple of years it will still be worth not much off what you paid.

Sure more will add Smile

Unfortunately prices are at high point this time of year,come winter they drop a bit but still 5k will get a nice one Cool
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know one thing about caravans which is that our travelling friends favour "Hobby" caravans hence they are often stolen and best avoided.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom fenton wrote:
I only know one thing about caravans which is that our travelling friends favour "Hobby" caravans hence they are often stolen and best avoided.

Cracking vans though,actually seen one today being towed by a zafira Shocked  Shocked and followed by a transit towing a fair ground ride Laughing  Laughing
bob cole
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing i did was to buy a damp meter, before you shop for a van.

bob
Rob.ie

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

tom fenton wrote:

Unless they have a bathroom - then they don't appeal at all to them  Wink

Can't really add much to what Venn said above. Best thing is to get out and see what you like and what suits you. Personally I'd love a fixed bed at one end with door at the opposite end with lounge up front and side dinnette, but the only thing that fits that criteria is a Hobby 635 (with water). Lunar Lexon 640EB and Bessacarr Cameo 550GL would come close behind but at a higher price.
davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had Adria Adora for 7yrs, great van and in your budget.
paul041075

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments so far, had a look at a few caravan places around my way and they all start at about £8000+.

Preference list so far is as follows...

Single axle
4 berth
End bathroom sep toilet/shower
Mid dinette
Microwave

I guess I could be asking a lot but didn't want anything much more than 10 years old!
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 15:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a wee starter van for £1500 to try it out and see if we enjoyed it.

We did and had that van for 3 yrs then traded it in for our new one. Got £1500 trade in and sold the awning for £225 Laughing

It allowed us to try that layout which we decided wasn't for us.
We ended up with a 24ft single axle Lunar Lexon DS with double dinette. Tows like a dream. Widebody, so spacious inside too.
That lets us leave the end dinette as a made up king size and closed off with the wooden screen, leaving the rest of the van for day use.
Also have a porch awning which is 4m long giving lots of extra space to store teenagers, etc

Everyone's requirements are different due to family size, etc so it's worh shopping around to get something that suits you but don't let your heart rule your head.

We specifically didn't go for Hobby. They are nice inside but lots of places don't allow them onsite for some reason. Guilty by association I suppose.

AsVenn says, they're expensive just now as it's that time of year.
Added to that, lots of people are rediscovering caravanning now and it's becoming very popular, driving prices up

We paid almost £9k for ours a year ago and think it was worth every penny

Good Luck with your search. Let us know how you get on(with pics or it's not real) Laughing
paul041075

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 18:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks Jimbro.

Got to sell the Land Rover 90 first to finance it but will post a pic whatever I get.  I was contemplating getting something for a smaller amount and everything we have seen has something we don't like and came to the conclusion that we wouldn't end up using it so much if it was a compromise,  the mrs is too picky!! Lol

So it's stay away from the Hobby's, mrs was quite licking the baileys that she saw but have plenty time to choose what's right.

Any other advice always great fully received.

Paul
snagz

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

We started off with an old £2K Elddis as our first van to see if we got on with it (were dedicated tenters before the kids came along).
gradually upgraded to our current one which cost us a wallet bashing £15K  
we absolutely love our tin tent, and of course, we all have the perfect tow cars  Wink

the biggest thing to look out for has already been mentioned...DAMP.
I would be tempted to buy through a dealer rather than private sale as you'll most likely get at least a bit of a warranty with it, and try to wangle a bit of a starter pack from them as all the extras start adding up, leisure battery, water and waste containers, awning, hitch lock and wheel clamp.

This time of year you just want to be checking out the styles you like, you want to wait until the end of the season before you actually part with your cash...the price difference can be quite a surprise.

Good luck with your hunting,
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the layout of ours.

This end has a wooden screen which closes it off as a bedroom with a kingsize

Main seating area

Another view
weedomjolly
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

All very good advice  Wink we spent months looking through Gumtree/Fleabay lets you get to see inside them.
Jimbro
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 16:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here looking for ours.
We knew the layout we wanted, it was just a matter of finding it

weedomjolly wrote:
All very good advice  Wink we spent months looking through Gumtree/Fleabay lets you get to see inside them.
innerstate

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 19:28    Post subject: Re: What to stay away from? Or what to go for? Reply with quote

paul041075 wrote:
Looking at caravan to tow with my shogun sport v6/LPG.

So knowing very little about them I need to know what's good and bad, budget wise it will be no more than 5k, prefer 4 birth but would have a two birth as its only me and the mrs plus the two dogs which could sleep in an awning if it came to it. Want something with a separate shower not over the toilet probably an end bathroom one.

Any suggestions????

I started 4 years ago with a Swift Conqueror, it was 14 years old, twin axle, end bathroom and 'L shaped longe. We didn't realise it at the time but the layout is absolutely perfect. The 'L' shaped seating gives more space, makes TV viewing easier for everyone. The end bathroom that you've decided on is now the first thing we look at when looking around caravans. We paid £3000 for the Conqueror, kep it 2 years and sold it for £2700, it came with everything and we sold it with nothing i.e. awning, aquarol, gas bottles, battery etc. We now have a Bailey Senator Wyoming, end bathroom, 'L' shaped lounge, big fridge freezer and a fixed bed. This is also a twin axle, not sure why you prefer single axle, twins tow better, less drama with a puncture and seem much nicer in proportions. My Conqueror didn't have motor movers but I never had a problem reversing it onto pitches / parking etc, my new one came with movers which are excellent.

J
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: