2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What to stay away from? Or what to go for?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MARKS600K1
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 20:14    Post subject: Re: What to stay away from? Or what to go for? Reply with quote

[quote="Johnb80"]
paul041075 wrote:
not sure why you prefer single axle, twins tow better, less drama with a puncture and seem much nicer in proportions. My Conqueror didn't have motor movers but I never had a problem reversing it onto pitches / parking etc, my new one came with movers which are excellent.

J

Single axle is easier if you have limited space and can't use car to push it which is why I have a single.  A mover on a single axle van uses up a fair chunk of available payload, twin axle generally has a bigger payload but a mover is a must as you will struggle to turn it on your own should you need to.

Regards Mark
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 20:14    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

weedomjolly
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2013 21:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jimbro"]Same here looking for ours.
We knew the layout we wanted, it was just a matter of finding it

weedomjolly wrote:
All very good advice  Wink we spent months looking through Gumtree/Fleabay lets you get to see inside them.
[/quo

Jim you's is the same layout as mine  Wink
But hopefully we will have this BAD BOY at the end of the year (fingers crossed)

innerstate

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:50    Post subject: Re: What to stay away from? Or what to go for? Reply with quote

[quote="MARKS600K1"]
Johnb80 wrote:
paul041075 wrote:
not sure why you prefer single axle, twins tow better, less drama with a puncture and seem much nicer in proportions. My Conqueror didn't have motor movers but I never had a problem reversing it onto pitches / parking etc, my new one came with movers which are excellent.

J

Single axle is easier if you have limited space and can't use car to push it which is why I have a single.  A mover on a single axle van uses up a fair chunk of available payload, twin axle generally has a bigger payload but a mover is a must as you will struggle to turn it on your own should you need to.

Regards Mark

A lot depends how good you are at reversing, I tow with a LWB Merc Sprinter, my outfit is longer than a coach and I managed to get into some really tight spots including my storage. You're right in that manual handling is more difficult, if you need to push it around, wind the jockey wheel down as much as you can, this is usually sufficient to lift the front wheels off the ground, it then becomes a single axle. The payload aspect of the movers can usually be sorted by a weight upgrade (usually replating the chassis assuming it's not max'd out already). My Senator has had this done to 1850Kg. Even with movers fitted you can't turn it in it's own length but it will go fairly tight and I've been amazed at the inclines it will go up. At Peterborough show last year it was a complete mud bath, only 4 x 4's could move, my Sprinter was hopeless. With the caravan hitched up, the movers managed to push the sprinter off the mud, incredible!

My preference is loads of space and the twin axle gives me that, there are single axles with similar length but to me they don't look quite right. With my Conqueror I had 2 blowouts, no drama, in one case I didn't even know it had happened until a following driver waived me down. As a contrast I saw a single axle have a blowout and it rolled the caravan which also rolled the car, I accept this was the exception rather than the norm, I have seen plenty of damage though when the rubber leaves the wheel and rips the side out of the caravan, non of this happens with a twin.

You pays yer money !

J
Rob.ie

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 17:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

weedomjolly wrote:
But hopefully we will have this BAD BOY at the end of the year (fingers crossed)]

I think its safe to say that I hate you just a little bit now  Laughing  Razz
weedomjolly
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob.ie wrote:
weedomjolly wrote:
But hopefully we will have this BAD BOY at the end of the year (fingers crossed)]

I think its safe to say that I hate you just a little bit now  Laughing  Razz

Laughing  Laughing Not got it yet! but its not too far away  Wink
parksy

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 17:34    Post subject: Re: What to stay away from? Or what to go for? Reply with quote

paul041075 wrote:
Looking at caravan to tow with my shogun sport v6/LPG.

So knowing very little about them I need to know what's good and bad, budget wise it will be no more than 5k, prefer 4 birth but would have a two birth as its only me and the mrs plus the two dogs which could sleep in an awning if it came to it. Want something with a separate shower not over the toilet probably an end bathroom one.

Any suggestions????

Hi Paul, only just seen this  Embarassed
There are lots of clean well looked after used tourers for sale but there are lots more overpriced damp sheds which are often much older than advertised, overpriced and with hidden faults.
My first tip would be never to buy or agree to buy a caravan without visually inspecting it beforehand. If you don't know much about caravans online auction websites are best avoided unless you are willing to pay an approved mobile caravan engineer in the locality to inspect the caravan on your behalf, something which might be of benefit even if buying locally.
Do yourself a favour and have a good look through the Caravan Buyers Guide, an online resource that will help you to avoid the most obvious pitfalls when buying your first used tourer.
Use the links in the boxes on the left to find out what to look out for and what to walk away from.
If you passed your driving test after 01/01/1997 you need to check the Gov Uk website to find out what you can legally tow.
If you go to look at a prospective buy, take a small torch, look inside lockers, behind curtains / blinds and along the seams where panels are joined for signs of damp or black mould. Check for soft spots on interior wallboards, gently ease back window rubber surrounds to see if there is water ingress.
Make sure that the vendor has the right to sell the caravan, ask for evidence of ownership, servicing records, receipts and never carry out transactions at storage sites, motorway services or laybys.
If there's anything that you want to know I can usually be found on this forum or on Practical Caravan Forum
Good Luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Caravanning discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: