Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Running swb 2.8 on 50/50 veg oil no modification?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grendel

Zodiac: Taurus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30    Post subject: Running swb 2.8 on 50/50 veg oil no modification? Reply with quote

I'm looking to buy my 1st 4x4 and considering a 2.8 Pajero/shogun but knowing there not the best MPG running it on 50/50 shop bought veg oil. Is it just a case of wait till tank is half full and chuck a few bottle in?

The others I have considered are;
Discovery 300Tdi
Trooper 3.1
Terrano 2.7

But it seems there are just as many folk out there saying running veg oil killed there engines as there are saying it runs great?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:30    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

theshootist
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2013 8:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty much.

I have been running mine on 80/20 in summer and 50/50 rest of year.

A third of a litre of 2 stroke oil in each full tank helps too.

There is a debate over whether the veg and diesel mixes properly if you just pour in. Many pre mix in a container outside.

I just pour in. Have had no problems in two Pajeros over 8 years doing it that way.

Only thing you MAY find is, if your pump seal was on the way out anyway, the cleaner veg will wash away some of the crud build up around it and speed things up.
Grendel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I presume if the pump seals got it means a new pump or pump rebuild will be needed at vast expense?
bobblake

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 16:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are getting oil in the 15/20 lt containers.
It is easy to mix a bit of petrol (5%) witch is as good as thinning the oil using 50/50.
It is a sliding scale with using petrol 5% summer 15% at -16 c.
Mitsubishi say you can use up to 30% in extrema cold.
bob
baxfanalex

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2013 23:33    Post subject: Panic not. Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:
I presume if the pump seals got it means a new pump or pump rebuild will be needed at vast expense?

I've been using veg ( svo ) for quite a while and find Bookers  @ £19.49 -20l or Farmfoods £9.99 -10l are both acceptable. I add 1l of unleaded to each 10l used and my truck runs well.

Your quoted post aludes to a pump rebuild but there's anecdotal evidence on here which relates to using brake fluid to passively reseal the pump. This is added to the mix in the fuel tank ( in the event of a leaky seal ) and it seems to find the leak and weld the seal chemically.

Persevere with the veg as you could save up to 40% on the running cost of the truck.
AshGun

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I poured 10 litres of rapeseed oil (svo) from local supermarket in the tank this morning it's on offer at £1 per litre (£10 for 10 litres) I had about 20 litres of diesel in the tank so a fairly safe 70/30 mix
Its the first time i've run svo and i have to say the truck felt a little less gutsy than normal and a fair bit more smokey, up till today the overdrive kicked in at 43 mph. allways (not counting the od off button  Very Happy ) but today when going uphill it didn't kick in untill 50-55 mph. on the flat it kicked it at normal 43 mph but was puffing white smoke untill about 50 mph. Also my truck normally starts on the second crank (in this weather) but after the veg oil today its been on crank 3, another thing is i'm 95% sure the second click i wait for to start the truck isn't clicking

i should say my truck only usally smokes when its started from cold i have to put my foot down to get onto my local bypass which is less than 1 minute from the house but once that is over with it dosn't usally smoke again (i try not to thrash the beast and never go over 70 mph)

i now have 2 empty 5 litre containers that i think ill try pre mixing to see if that makes a differance

i did stop to get more svo but they had sold out of the veg but still had loads of sunflower  Laughing
bobblake

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 20:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunflower oil is so post to be the best i have heard so you will be ok with that.

Another convert.
I all ways say mix outside of the tank.
Oil just pored on to the top of diesel will sink to the bottom, just wear the pick up is.
This would explain the symptoms you describe.
Just think how it would be if it was cold.
Grendel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would a UK 2.5 swb shogun run on veg oil without problems since there's one for sale near me.
AshGun

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 11:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure anyone is going to come along and say 100% it's OK, you need to read up and get yourself as informed as possible then you can make an informed decision about what to pour into your truck

I was nervous  Confused  as I didn't want to ruin my new toy for the sake of 40ppl but with the warm weather and special offer from tesco I had a go found out first hand

BTW my 2.8 loves the stuff  Very Happy  I find myself going 80mph where as the engine sounds like its only doing 65/70mph

slightly harder to start but still no more than 2 seconds I'm running about 80/20 oil/diesel mix atm

not too sure yet what I'll do when the weather turns cold though, I'm thinking glow plugs and buzz-bar clean up for a start but we'll see how it goes

I'm actually just off to see the canteen manager about buying new oil from her although I think she only gets it cheap because the same company take the old oil away.
Grendel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 15:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone run a 2.5 Paj/Shogun on Veg oil or is it only the 2.8 that you can use it with???
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 16:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.5 is just as happy on veg oil as the 2.8. I run mine on 50/50 mix all year round (sometimes up to 80/20 in summer).
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 16:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:

No, you just need to replace the seal that's failed, the front drive shaft seal.... its a very common job as they WILL all need to have it done at some time.
Grendel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 10:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of interest how do folk mix there diesel and veg oil. Would I just need to get a few jerry cans and mix 50/50 in a jerry can?
Simon_W

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 12:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grendel wrote:
Out of interest how do folk mix there diesel and veg oil. Would I just need to get a few jerry cans and mix 50/50 in a jerry can?

I buy my veggie oil in 20l boxes and then mix it 50/50 with diesel.
My mixing kit is comprised of:

2 x 20l jerrycans
      1 x small syphon pump

1 x large syphon pump

1 x Really Useful storage box for pumps
      Some rags for wiping up, as the pumps will drip.

I put the veggie oil box on a garden chair and syphon approx 10l  (doesn't need to be exact) into each jerrycan, using the small syphon. It's slower than using a funnel, but I've found it less messy.

I then top up each jerrycan with fuel - but I don't try and squeeze too much in as it's easier to avoid spillage if the cans aren't brimmed. I buy 20l of diesel, so anything I can't get in the cans goes in the fuel tank to preserve the 50/50 mix.

Each jerrycan of mix is then shaken to mix, and I use the large syphon pump to pump fuel into the tank. I place the jerrcan on the storage box to lift it a little, as the pump hose is then less likely to come out. It doesn't take much pumping to maintain pressure so that each can is emptied in a couple of minutes.

I've tried various methods and have found that this one suits me best.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 13:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I do (not that dissimilar):

I get my veg oil in 10 litre containers (either as they come with clean new veg oil from Farmfoods, or old containers filled with processed used veg oil).
I go to the petrol station and buy 10 litres of diesel in a metal jerry can (the most they will allow you to buy in a can in one transaction due to their policy).

At home I pour the 10 litres of diesel into a 20 litre jerry can. Then pour in 10 litres of veg oil.
Close the lid (important!) and shake.
Put funnel into Pajero fuel filler and pour all 20 litres from the jerry can in.

Then I get out the notebook that lives in the glove box and write the date and that I've put 20 litres of veg oil/diesel mix into the tank. This is important, as you must legally keep a record whenever you put home made biodiesel (which is what veg oil is classed as once it enters a vehicle's fuel tank), so you can prove to HMRC that you're under the 2500 litres per year that you're allowed to use tax-free. And it's the amount of liquid going into the tank that counts against that, not the amount of veg oil you used to make it. If you get your tank dipped at a random roadside check and can't demonstrate that you're keeping records then you're liable to get a fine for tax evasion...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: