QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

More gear box issues wont start in Park - stiff gear lever

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 23:59    Post subject: More gear box issues wont start in Park - stiff gear lever Reply with quote

3.2 Auto

Turned the key this morning, dash lights came on but totally dead, not even turning over.

This sometimes happens when its not fully in Park.

But no matter how many times I slammed it into park would not start, will only start in N. The lever also seams really stiff. Ive also got to whack it quite hard to select drive.

Any ideas???

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 23:59    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes had this problem with mine a couple of months ago, you need to get some wd40 spray on the inhibitor switch which is located on the passenger side of the gearbox. Get someone to move the gear lever whilst you spray it you will soon seen where it is. It may take a while for the lubricant to work its way in but it will work. Dont go mad forcing the gear lever whilst it is stiff I have read post where they break the cable.  Laughing  Laughing
tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 9:19    Post subject: Inhibitor Switch Reply with quote

Excellent,
I guess this is underneath the car but on top of the box somewhere near the stick.
Many thanks
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes underneath the car, passenger side, like I say if you can get someone to move the gear lever you will soon see the actuator/switch moving. Give it plenty of WD40 and let it do its work. I must admit I was quite worried with mine at first I thought it was gearbox problems so dont worry I'm 99% sure its just needs lubrication.
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 10:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

sxw17 wrote:
Yes underneath the car, passenger side, like I say if you can get someone to move the gear lever you will soon see the actuator/switch moving. Give it plenty of WD40 and let it do its work. I must admit I was quite worried with mine at first I thought it was gearbox problems so dont worry I'm 99% sure its just needs lubrication.

PS.... Its on the side of the gearbox not on top,
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:52    Post subject: Switch Reply with quote

That's the one I've been squirting!

Are there any positional settings?
tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:58    Post subject: Inhibitor Switch Reply with quote

Ok half a can of WD40 over it and no change, gear lever still stiff, wont start in Park and now cant select Drive. Reverse seems OK.

Any ideas??

Have I dislodged or knock something out of sync or is it likely the switch is knackered?

Are the switches easy to remove and refit?

Is there any thing serviceable in the switch?

Thanks
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 13:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you push the gear stick over to 'Tiptronic' is it still stiff to move?

Steve
Borders Shogun

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 13:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.  I had same issue, problem seemed to be the selector are (see pic below by sxw17) was getting covered in crud as there's no protection, I removed it and covered it with copperslip grease then refitted. Seems to be ok now. Also if you don't use the car much it seizes up from lack of use.  In my opinion it's a *beep* design and should have some for of guard to limit the amount of poo that covers it.  If you do remove it make sure it's in P and mark where the lever is first and the two flat section  1 on the cable to gear lever and the section on the gearbox selector arm as there is a bit of adjustment there.  Hope this helps.  My 2005 Long wheel base 3.2 DiD with 150k Miles will be up for sale soon is anyone is looking for a winter 4x4 before everyone panic buys. Mine is surplus to requirements. Tax and Mot's till December.
tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 15:21    Post subject: Switch Reply with quote

Heres a link to switch removal supplied by "mimauk"

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=94974&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=

Regarding the switch continunity check is it simply a case of sticking the meter wires on terminals 1&7 in Park an getting a beep?

Regarding tiptronic I can flick the lever over and it seems fine other than doing nothing of course. When I flick it back towards drive it feels like it slides north towards Neutal and misses the D position. Either way I can not get it to the most Southerly position, looks like its about 5mm out.

Cheers guys
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 15:40    Post subject: Re: Switch Reply with quote

tedsalad wrote:
Heres a link to switch removal supplied by "mimauk"

Regarding the switch continunity check is it simply a case of sticking the meter wires on terminals 1&7 in Park an getting a beep?

Cheers guys

It looks that way to me, I think its a good starting point to locate that connector and make sure that is free from corrosion etc and yes go for a continuity check.
tedsalad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 23:55    Post subject: Inhibitor Switch Reply with quote

Guys thanks for all your help today, i'm really pleased with the progress today!

I disabled the cable and the cable moves freely so the stiffness has to be in the switch.

The plastic bush on the link arm was 50% worn away, probably not helped by me trying to smash it into drive. See here:- sorry you will need to paste the entire lot into the URL

https://photos-2.dropbox.com/t/0/AADDj_BpHafyca108ViFl_MdDtcLtyoDlNyBkoQxJL89vQ/12/53511825/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/Inhibitor%20switch%20link.JPG/G7TORkLDKyy8BXRDv3mpkjChMKufFOOW2NJqqRSEO9g%2CKybXxuQOs4u-0RCZC4DESzAm_S4MtZGXmOfYoK3dLjk?size=1024x768

So I have made up a brass bush for now. See here

https://photos-1.dropbox.com/t/0/AAAWYv_7gEKfMyZrcJEuQdLBhU4ONLZ9XJLwXQPbCxDjqw/12/53511825/jpeg/32x32/3/_/1/2/Inhibitor%20switch%20bush.JPG/stVERRo4WzV3ctoTYqHjHC6GtmSHT1Z8oM5Yzv_jXJA?size=1024x768

After trying to follow the instructions in the link above I have not managed to get it to start in P but I have at least got drive back.

My question is what does the shaft that goes through the inhititor switch do? and how do I remove the switch, does it just prize off once the 2 bolts are removed?

Thanks
sxw17
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 21:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mate, glad your making progress, I'm not sure about the removal process myself, I'm surprised that not many have commented on this post. At least your valuable experience on this will help others in future. Hope you get it sorted.  Very Happy  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Main technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: