Adrian Flux : 0800 916 1257

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

turn indicator issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abercorn

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31    Post subject: turn indicator issues Reply with quote

Hello, one of our Pajeros (2.8 Tdi Exceed 7 seater M reg) has developed a couple of very annoying issues with the indicators and brake lights. when indicating left or right the opposite indicator light is flashing intermitantly, this has been getting gradually worse until it is now constant. In addition the brake lights have stopped working.

Now I understand the brake light switch can get full of crud and I will start off by cleaning it but does anyone know of any common places to look for this sort of indicator short/fault. It happens with and without trailer.

Be very grateful for any assistance

aye

Richard
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 11:31    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure al the light bulbs are earthed properly, and that the grouped earth wires are well earthed too. This may solve the problem.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2013 13:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give the bulb holders a good clean up - the fact that it's been getting progressively worse implies corrosion.
Abercorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

well I've cleaned all bulb holders and checked the wiring - all good. I have also dismantled the turn indicator switch, cleaned all and reassembled - still the 'shadowing'

Brake lights - well and truly flumoxed - we have side lights and rear lights but no brake lights! not the switch - there is power to it so I am now looking at the earth circuit - I am beginning to suspect the tow bar socket, I've taken it apart and we have some nasty corrosion etc. Tempted to cut the tow bar wire 2 inches out and blank off all tow bar electrics.

losing patience as this is a work vehicle and we are under the cosh deadline wise - may well replace it and use this one for spares.

R
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the tow bar socket wired directly to the rear light clusters, or is there a relay unit (usually hidden behind the trim)? If it's direct, then I'd disconnect it all at the light cluster end and see if that cures it. Shorts are very common in towbar wiring, which is why really you should always fit a relay unit that will isolate faults in the wiring to the socket or a dodgy trailer.

Try disconnecting both rear light clusters and see what happens. That will help narrow down where the fault it. I think it's going to be a short or dampness issue somewhere - it's just a matter of finding it!
Abercorn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 17:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Richard.
Running out of time my end - yes there is a relay - it looks like an importer fitted kit - I have disconnected it and the fault is still there. I'm going to have to leave this for the time being as I have to organise a deployment 250 miiles away. we're getting a second Pajero in a couple of days time but this one needs to be back on the road pronto!
thanks again
richard
RWY

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 18:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you managed to get to the bottom of this issue? I'm having a similar problem in that when I indicate left the rear lights go out. Mine is a Shogun Sport with tow bar.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Electrical issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: