QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Could anyone give me some advise on off-roading/auto gearbox

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leepts

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 22:17    Post subject: Could anyone give me some advise on off-roading/auto gearbox Reply with quote

Hi all I'm going off roading this weekend for the first time in my pajero, I've been off roading a few times many years ago in my land rover with a Manual gearbox. My pajero is a auto gearbox and I've got no idea what I should have it in for different terrain and conditions ect, also for coming down steep inclines or going up steep inclines ect ect....any advise would be appreciated  cheers lee.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2013 22:17    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, just stick it in D and let it do the work - leaving you free to concentrate on steering the best line over the track Smile

For descending steep hills, put it into L (ie 1st gear) or 2 (2nd gear) to get engine braking to control the descent. Generally 2 is low enough for most hills. If you put the transfer box into 4LLc (ie low ratio, locked centre diff - loose surfaces only obviously), with the gearbox in L as well, you'll go down hills at a walking pace nice and controlled. For going up hills, you can leave it in D, as it'll stay in the lower gears as long as you're going slowly. The gear is selected by the box is mainly based on road speed. If you feel you need more torque then again, use low ratio on the transfer box.
jimmyw
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really wary when I got my paj and was going to use it offroad the first time too,it's super easy,just point and shoot  Laughing  And as Rich said,put in in 1st low box for going down very steep long hills so you don't use the brakes.

If you're used to manuals it feels a bit weird when you're going through mud,you don't get the same feel for if the wheels are slipping or not,but it is something you get used to after a small while.

Recently we went up a really long steep hill,it was so steep the seat belts had locked up,I stopped on it,and got going really easily,I just eased my foot onto the throttle,it pulled away without so much as spinning a wheel,and there was not clutch to worry about roasting  Very Happy
geodrome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the above have said. Very Happy
I've now got a manual and much prefer the auto offroad.
They will creep forward with out throttle no clutch or judder to worry about.
Leepts

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the advise, much appreciated. Do you guys use the diff lock all the time when off road or should you use normal 4 wheel drive and then swap to the diff lock option when it gets tough? Cheers lee.
rich r

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should only lock the centre diff when the wheels can slip on the surface to account for the front and rear having to turn by different amounts. So generally if you're driving on packed soil or gravel that's pretty solid, you shouldn't really lock it. But if you're on grass, mud, loose gravel etc, then it may well be worth locking it. You just have to weigh up whether you're likely to lose traction and lock it before you do - experience will tell you when that's the case. But even if you do find you've got a wheel spinning, you can usually just lock it then. So generally I tend to stay in 4H unless I'm on loose or wet ground and it looks like it might spin a wheel then I'll put it into 4HLc. Just remember to unlock it before you get onto solid ground like tarmac.

Same with rear diff lock if you have one - experience will tell you when you need to lock it before you get to a place you might need it, but it's not the end of the world if you do find yourself stuck with a front and a rear wheel with no grip, as it'll usually lock quite happily and let you move off. It'll unlock automatically when you go faster than 10mph or so, or unlock the centre diff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Green Laning Tips and Techniques All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: