QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Bio diesel ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Junc

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Bio diesel ? Reply with quote

What is bio diesel?
Sorry the dump question, but it never looked into it.

Is it also suitable for my pajero?
I use veg oil but kept away from bio diesel.
It's a 1992 2,5 td turbo diesel
4m40 engine if I remember rightly at the moment.

Been offerd bio diesel for less then pump prices. That's while I ask.

Thanks
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 16:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 17:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strictly speaking, biodiesel is any fuel that can be burnt in a diesel engine that is made (at least in part) from plant material. So SVO can be classed as biodiesel if it's used in a vehicle. Similarly waste veg oil that's been filtered and dewatered is a biodiesel.

The more common usage of the word biodiesel relates to vegetable and other oils that have been processed to produce a fuel that has properties very similar to the diesel that is made from crude oil. Generally pump diesel contains a proportion of this anyway. It's considered safe to use in most diesel engines.

Your 2.5 (which is 4D56 by the way. 4M40 is the 2.8) is happy to run on biodiesel, mineral diesel, SVO, processed WVO, and if you lived somewhere warmer, coconut oil Smile
Junc

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 19:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great. Thanks.
Yes I said I guess. Ha ha.
Didn't write it down when I looked so just guest.

So I ask him how much he actually want per litre.
Is only around my corner.
Stingrey

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2015 22:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biodiesel is an alternative form of fuel to mineral diesel. It is made through a process called 'transesterfication' of vegetable oils and animal fats. This process chemically alters the properties of the feedstock to produce a less viscous, cleaner burning monoalkylester called 'biodiesel'. The most common form is a base catalysed reaction of methanol and waste cooking oils to form a product called FAME.

I have over ten years of experience in this field and have consistently manufactured fuel that exceeds EN14214. I will never used or purchase pump DERV again.
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have over 30 years of working with it and run a mix of 50 0 50 with road diesel.

One problem you get with pure bio is lack of lubricity, damage to many seals and O rings, and it gets particularly thick in winter.
Stingrey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2015 18:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beg to differ.

Since the removal of Sulfur from today's fuel the petro-chemical industry has been forced, not only due to environmental constraints but also due to the necessity to reinstate lubrication properties back into their fuels. This is where biodiesel comes in. In the main 5% is common place on most forecourts but in some instances 7% is now being seen. Whilst studies have proven that over and above 2% bio inclusion doesn't increase the lubrication properties of the fuel it certainly doesn't cause adverse effects.

Older rubber seals do perish from the use of Biodiesel but in the main the unconverted WVO is the real hinderance. However, more and more manufacturers are fitting Viton seals which resist chemical attack as the manufacturers now appreciate that it's only a matter of time until greater pressures are felt for higher concentrations of Bio to be introduced to fuels.

Any diesel engine will run on well made Biodiesel. However, quality control is limited in the back street garage/shed, where the quality of fuel is difficult to establish.

I run B100 all year round and have not had any issues in over 10 years. When it's excessively cold I use additives to reduce the gelling point of my Biodiesel.
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

You beg to differ, then agree with my points????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
assassin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The actual figure for bio element in road diesel currently stands at an average of 2,98837% bio content across all fuel retailers in the UK, figures taken 20/07/2015.
mick_n3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 16:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stingrey wrote:

Any diesel engine will run on well made Biodiesel. However, quality control is limited in the back street garage/shed, where the quality of fuel is difficult to establish.

Not according to VW Group I've just got a brand new Leon 2.0ltr 184ps diesel, and in big letters by the fuel filler is NO BIO FUEL
Stingrey

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

mick_n3 wrote:
Stingrey wrote:

Not according to VW Group I've just got a brand new Leon 2.0ltr 184ps diesel, and in big letters by the fuel filler is NO BIO FUEL

That doesn't mean the engine will not run on Biodiesel it's purely manufacturers protecting both themselves and owners from poor quality fuel.

I know of a number of new cars running on B100 and they have been for some time without issue.

2013 Audi A6
2014 Touareg
2014 BMW 1-series
2014 Range Rover Evoke
+ Many more older vehicles

All of which are close friends and swear by the stuff.
assassin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2015 17:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many new vehicles since 2013 have been designed to run on B100 and these are the new engines.

Many older engines carried over, or those updated will not run on B100 and you have to the manufacturer to see what they will run on.

One prime example is the same engine in different manufacturers vehicles, Peugeot and Citroen, one manufacturer says 30% bio maximum while the other says 50% maximum bio element, yet they are both exactly the same engine.
jenjenoz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 14:42    Post subject: veg oil Reply with quote

Hi,is it safe to use veg oil in a mk3 3.2 did?.Tia.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 21:11    Post subject: Re: veg oil Reply with quote

jenjenoz wrote:
Hi,is it safe to use veg oil in a mk3 3.2 did?.Tia.

No it isn't. It will ruin the injection pump.
jenjenoz

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 22:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,thanks for that.
jenjenoz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2019 15:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok,thanks for that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Oils, lubes and fluids All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: