eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Prices of vegetable oil?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bravehrt17

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58    Post subject: Prices of vegetable oil? Reply with quote

I am reading tons of threads about using vegetable oil instead of diesel...in mixes up to 50%
And that you get it around 40p per litre...
(1 Uk pound = 1.25 euro)

Maybe i didnt get it correct...but i thought you mean corn or sunflower oil, the one we use for frying...

Diesel in Cyrpus is currently at 1,44 euro per litre....

Cheapest oil is  2.23 per litre !!!

Am i missing something here, or not?

Online shopping cy - Oils

Rolling Eyes  Rolling Eyes
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corn and sunflower oil are more expensive than the rapeseed oil we commonly have in the UK. I suspect you're at a bit of a disadvantage in that Cyprus isn't covered in huge fields of oil rich crops - unlike the UK and other northern European countries which have loads of bright yellow fields of oilseed rape at the moment. The seeds are crushed for rapeseed oil, the remaining solid parts of the seed go for cattle feed, and the rest of the plant is used in power stations to generate electricity.

The average price in supermarkets in the UK is around £1 a litre for cooking oil, but buying it in quantities of 10 litres or more, or from trade suppliers can bring it down a bit more.
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick to diesel then !  Wink -  It is cooking oil that we use, but in UK, generally, it is cheaper - around the £1 a litre mark.  But sometimes there are specials, when it works out cheaper.

I first started using oil back in about 2005, when it was much cheaper - I remember getting a pallet load from Aldi at 17p a litre - those were the good times.

Of course, you can also used waste cooking oil, which you can collect from restaurants and takeaways etc -  usually free - but needs filtering and dewatering, before using.

Try looking for veg oil in a caterer's wholesaler - it may be cheaper?

Mark " cooking in fuel" Dale
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect most cooking oil in Cyprus is either olive (not very good in engines, too acidic) or sunflower/corn oils that are imported from mainland Europe, which will make them more expensive.

As Mark says though - you may be able to get hold of and process waste vegetable oil more cheaply. It does require some work to turn it into a diesel substitute. As long as it's vegetable based (ie not from animal fats), you can filter, dewater and correct the acidity chemically to produce a fuel.
bravehrt17

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aha..... Rolling Eyes

So everyhting is clear now... !

Thanks for replies...

I read about used oil... seems little more complicated nd "dirty" procedure... but i will concentrate my reading in this...

I will keep the veg oil from supermarket information, only in case of Gas Stations strike! (happens a lot here, they often claims that they should sell diesel and petroil in even higher prices.... Evil or Very Mad  Shocked  Rolling Eyes  Shocked )

Cheers! Have a nice day (we have 32 degrees here!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: