QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

To buy or not to buy a 3.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DavidT

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:05    Post subject: To buy or not to buy a 3.2 Reply with quote

Hi, hope this doesn't sound stupid but need to ask about whether to buy a 3.2 LWB Pajero about 2000- 2004 year age or keep with the Pajero my wife already has, namely
a 1994 2.8 LWB Pajero with about 150000 miles on the clock.

Just had a fair bit of work done to it namely new head, turbo, water pump cam belt pulley and back shockers (not adjustable).

Not bothered about the work we had done to it as we have had it 10 years and been no problem at all apart from tyres , brakes and batteries which you can expect
but it is 20 years old and looking a bit tired.

So do I spend more money on this car and tidy the paint work up and the interior and have the sunroof fixed and the air con or go for a newer car which I have no idea
on what faults to look for.

A mechanic (at least he told me he was) mentioned that the newer 3.2 have gear box problems destroying themselves.

We aren't buying one today maybe in the next couple of months so plenty of time.

Any advise would be welcome only don't want to pressure the wife into buying some thing she may not even like and then it goes pear shaped and tits up.

Confused
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 10:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know nothing about the newer models but would never have one myself.

I like the fact that all the weak points on the Mk2s are mostly mendable with a set of spanners because of the lack of too many electronics.

I will keep my Mk2 until the rust finally kills it.
mike_r

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few things to note,
>on a pre 2005 di-d, the pump is a ticking time bomb after 100K and the cost to replace is high [thousands]
>The manuals have problems with DMF failure
>Earlier gen III have problems with the rear half shafts falling out when towing.

So unless the 2005+ years have problems that I dont know about, it may be a better investment to get a later model automatic for trouble free living.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 12:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are good vehicles, just make sure you get one that has had any of the issues mentioned on here done. If you follow the info here and shop wisely when you decide, it should keep you away from bad ones.
assassin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sack your mechanic because he is a *beep*, the 3.2 auto box is one of the most reliable transmissions in the world and has proven to have very few problems and the problems are mainly from the owner:

Failing to put in the correct ATF which is Dia Queen SP III - many put in a Dexron product or universal product which is NOT compatible with these boxes.

Failing to change the ATF because it is expensive and requires 10 litres to do - simple visual check is all that needs doing, if it isn't cherry red then it needs changing, so change it.

Not knowing the procedure for checking the level - this is done with the transmission hot, going through the gears, and checked with the engine idling; this leads to low ATF levels.

External damage - usually caused by running with the centre diff lock engaged on roads or other solid surfaces, running in low range which locks the centre diff and running on solid surfaces, running with underbody protection missing, or heavy wading in deep water without extending the breathers which contaminates the box as it sucks water and debris into the box as it hits the water and contracts the air inside it causing it to suck in air rather than blow it out.

How unreliable are they? any box is unreliable with stupidity.
VIKI

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 20:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Depends what kind of driving you prefer for off road I will recommend Mk 2 but for camping on road I will recommend Mk 3. Weak points fuel injection pump, fuel filling pipe in back wheel arch, regular service is a must!, prone to electric /electronic problems /gremlins Wink but in my opinion if you can find 1 in good condition then it's worthed especially if yours field of use is mainly hard surface roads not muddy fields.
GCMS2012

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 21:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not just Mitzy's but ALL cars have their own 'problems' / niggles.

I've yet to find a car manufacturer that makes a car TOTALY fault free. If there was, we'd all be buying that make / model.

Even I thought I'd bought a lemon when I got this, my first 4x4. Turned out to be previous *beep* servicing and maintenance even though it's got a service history.  Evil or Very Mad    

So, IMO my opinion these days, it's pot luck with buying ANY car.
tom fenton
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2014 22:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like my mk3, it's a more modern and less tractor like compared to the mk2 I had before.
Also the 3.2 diesel engine is excellent, with the power you would expect.
I see you are in Sheffield, if you like you can come and have a drive in mine see what you think.
DavidT

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for info regarding the 3.2, my wife loves her old 2.8 auto and now it's used mainly for on road with occasional towing of a horse trailer
and the occasional use for  towing Range Rovers out of deep snow. (I LOVED THAT )

When she first got it we towed that trailer with 2 horses in it all over the country with not one problem but 10 years later age takes it toll and hence new head, water pump ect.

We have seen a couple round the 4-5 grand mark with about 60000 on the clock and these have been on a x reg.

I know that buying any car is buyer beware but at least I now have a good idea (thinks he has) about what I am doing.

Thanks to you all.
assassin

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 17:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much better for towing then MK II's as better torque curve and torque delivery.
Davie5316

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 21:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A mechanic (at least he told me he was) mentioned that the newer 3.2 have gear box problems destroying themselves"

As assassin says the autos are a good piece of kit as long as they are serviced.

Your mechanic could be getting mixed up with the manuals. They can jump out of gear and the input shaft has failed on a few I've read & experienced. The DMF is a costly repair, although once failed you can change to a SMF.

As stated in posts above, rear shafts can pop out whilst towing ( so I've read) and fuel pump is costly to recon. Watch out for rust on arches, cils, and under rubbers. Also fuel pipes and tank are prone to rust. Last thing is camber bolts are nearly always seized on these things.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 22:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the manual box issues were caused if the DMF suffered a total instant failure and wrecked the input shaft etc. they do need the correct spec of transmission oil too.
The one issue that's causes grief is the wheel bearings.
Davie5316

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 12:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard of several input shafts failing and destroying gearbox & transmission and nothing to do with DMF failure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: