2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Rust protection - Waxoyl ?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tomer David

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:05    Post subject: Rust protection - Waxoyl ? Reply with quote

Does anyone has some experience with Waxoyl Rust/Corrosion coating on MK4 ? interesting for using it on 2007 SWB with some corrosion on the front suspension.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

davembp

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Under side of my motor is wax oiled, from what I've seen the later models suffer from rust (only what I've seen!!!) any protection is a good idea.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have been having a loooong discussion about it recently Here

I have used WaxOyl in the past but it's not easy to apply unless you heat it up and/or thin it with white spirit. It also tends to "skin" over and dry out allowing water to creep underneath it and continue to cause rust.

- I'm just waiting for the WaxOyl enthusiasts to shoot me down now  Confused

Read the thread - it should answer all your questions - I use Dinitrol.
BenKenobi

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 19:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used all kinds of stuff over the years but I've yet to find anything better than this stuff >> Dynax S50

Waxoyl is horrid to apply, to apply Waxoyl successfully you need high pressure and pro gear plus the 'real' Waxoyl doesn't seem to be readily available to the public (the stuff you buy in Hlafords aint the same. Dinitrol is OK but I've not used it in anger beyond some test samples I got.

With stuff like POR-15 you need to commit to half a dozen process's each and every one of which must be done thoroughly or the next is a waste of time (and none of them get inside boxs's etc)
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 19:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did the underside of mine last summer with dinitrol.

The cavity wax is easy to apply - I got it in aerosols with a long spray nozzle and it definitely covers all inside the box sections. How well it stops rust I don't know because it's not been on for a year yet.

I did the rest of the underside with Dinitrol underbody wax after cleaning it down as best I could to bare metal. After less than a year it seems to have worn off the outer sides of the main chassis rails and surface rust is showing. I don't think the underbody wax is tough enough for areas that get a lot of spray on them.

Will remove it this summer and use the Dinitrol stone chip on the affected areas and see how that works.

Trouble is - stopping rust once it gets a hold is impossible - short of hot-dip galvanising everything.
BenKenobi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 19:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be re 'Dynax'ing mine next year - not finished the job yet - done from A Pillar back, Sills, Chassis and Subframe stripping all old gunk, treating, painting, Dynaxing - including in all cavities - all taking longer than expected due to work and weather .... to be honest not sure why I'm bothering can't see anyone paying the 8.5k I'd want for the car even if I don't do it.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky your car is worth that much - mines a 20 year old Mk2 so the cost of the Dinitrol last summer was 10% of the value of the truck!

- and a month of my life laid on my drive getting completely filthy to the point that she wouldn't let me go into the house unless I stripped off on the patio.

Not sure if any car is worth it really - but it doesn't stop us trying to keep them in good condition.

I think that every summer is going to involve at least some time with the anti rust stuff - it's not a "do once and Forget it" type of thing.
BenKenobi

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 21:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's only worth that because

a) Less than 60,000 miles,
b) New suspension all round - incl wishbones, bushes, bolts
c) New wheel bearings and hubs all round
d) New brake discs etc all round
e) Serviced and functional AC
f) New brake pipes all round
g) New 'mk4' filler neck & through chassis assembly
h) Fuel tank fully refurbished and treated
i) Thorough de-rust, re-paint and treatment
j) 4 new Michelin Latitude Cross
k) brand new towbar with chrome bumper shield and genuine Mistubishi electrics

and a host of other 'stuff' i.e. timing chain tensioner / guide, stainless 'decat' exhaust, set of refurbed de-rusted and treated side steps when I actually get chance to refurb and fit them, new ABS / Speed sensors all round, new drive shafts at the front, new battery ..... the list goes on ... realistically with whats been spent I should ask 10k for it, which I won't get so it makes some sense to try and stop it falling apart.

And as you hint at - keeping the rust at bay isn't a fit and forget task.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 22:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

From that list you will have a long lasting relationship with her.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest - my truck is worth £2000 tops so any money I spend is never going to come back if I ever sell it.

I don't think many of us do stuff to these trucks without knowing we are spending more than we should on them. But lots of us do it because it is a hobby thing and we enjoy working on them so the money doesn't come in to it.

I wasn't questioning how much your truck is worth by the way - I was just saying you are lucky to have a car that is worth that amount - I have never had a car that is that valuable! I have always had cheap cars.

With the amount of work you have done on it I would assume that you are going to keep it a long time so keeping on top of the rust makes sense. Same with me - I will only get rid of it when it gets unrepairable.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid £8k in 2000 for my Pajero sold it for £850 eleven years later. In that time I put on a used rear caliper, sunroof seal, two turbos, set of refurb injectors, a head, pump seal, water pump and 4 KYB dampers, the rest was services, ware and tyres. All done my self too. Very Happy  and a visit to Phoenix to tune the pump after the seal was done.  
So you can see why I THOUGHT my mk3 was a good buy. Shocked
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 12:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Mk2 is turning into a mission - i want it as right as I can get it but it seems a never ending job.

But what else would I do with my time and money  Smile
assassin

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can just fire old engine oil into body cavities every oil change, just as good as Waxoyl or Dinitrol as you do it so often.

Do not do this if you park on the road though, it drains back out and you need to catch what comes out by standing it for several hours with drip trays to catch what drains, so unless you have somewhere to stand it I wouldn't recommend it, if you do have somewhere to stand it for several hours then go for it.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 13:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
you need to catch what comes out

You need to do that with the Dinitrol cavity wax as well.

I bought a big tarpaulin and spread it over my drive and drove the truck onto it - glad I did because loads dripped out.
Tomer David

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 1:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, but I did not mean to do it by myself but to pay waxoyl agent to do this. my MK4 worth 12K with 55K miles so it worth doing such a treatment especially that I can see some corrosion in the front suspension, what do you think ?

I also have minor rust in the actual sunroof frame but I am afraid to handle it with some hammerite as I need to move the seal and I am afraid to ruin it. any idea about a good sunroofs expert that can have a look ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> 4M41 / 3.2 (DiD) models All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: