Help the Club - Click to Buy!

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Blue smoke, using oil with no visible leaks.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

The lumpy start may or may not be related to the sudden and high oil consumption which I think is the big concern. Have you continued to see this high oil consumption weekly, since your initial mail ?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:07    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
The lumpy start may or may not be related to the sudden and high oil consumption which I think is the big concern. Have you continued to see this high oil consumption weekly, since your initial mail ?

I've been checking the oil level daily and in the first week since filling it up i've used approx 5-6mm of oil looking at the dipstick.
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
To confirm the air filter is not affecting start up, remove the filter, ensure there is no dust or rubbish in the filter box, and start the engine. Is there any improvement ?

I've just done this and it smokes just as much and runs lumpy like before until revved.
trekker

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 14:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good nick, how many km have you covered since filling up ? Six mm would be around 400ml of oil consumed.

dave
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 150 miles.
trekker

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So around 500- 600 km to a litre of oil sure is a lot.

A compression test will indicate the state of the compression components, pistons, rings, valves, head gasket. I'd be looking to carry out that test, if only to eliminate the above, and allow focus elsewhere.

Then there is your turbo, burning oil can be from there, as can the poor top end power.  Can you test for turbo boost pressure using a 0 - 2 bar gauge on one of the turbo small dia lines. You should have around 0.8 - 0.9 bar. I didn't see lots of oil in the inlet manifold, but oil won't hang up when it's hot.
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 19:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

trekker wrote:
So around 500- 600 km to a litre of oil sure is a lot.

A compression test will indicate the state of the compression components, pistons, rings, valves, head gasket. I'd be looking to carry out that test, if only to eliminate the above, and allow focus elsewhere.

Then there is your turbo, burning oil can be from there, as can the poor top end power.  Can you test for turbo boost pressure using a 0 - 2 bar gauge on one of the turbo small dia lines. You should have around 0.8 - 0.9 bar. I didn't see lots of oil in the inlet manifold, but oil won't hang up when it's hot.

I have a boost guage fitted and it reads the same 0.8 bar it did when I fitted it last year.
venn105
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aquarius

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 20:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have said turbo,valve stem or rocker breather to check .
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 23:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rocker breather is not blocked, i've already checked this. To check the turbo I would need to remove the pipe that goes from the air filter box ? I took the pipe off the top that goes to the intercooler but there was nothing more than a thin film of oil which i've been told is normal.
v8 rick
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 1:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

NickA wrote:
The rocker breather is not blocked, i've already checked this. To check the turbo I would need to remove the pipe that goes from the air filter box ? I took the pipe off the top that goes to the intercooler but there was nothing more than a thin film of oil which i've been told is normal.

i guess you checked the cam cover breather by blowing through it ? or did you actually remove it from inside the cam cover ? there are 2 x small panel gauze fiters inside their purpose being to trap oil vapour and preventing it traveling through the breather pipe and drawn into the engine and being burnt .

a few years ago i bought a pajero 2.8 that could get through 3 ltrs of oil in 400mls the guy i got it from had been told by his garage the engine was knackered and needed to be replaced .
1st thing i did when i got it home was remove the cam cover and remove the tin cover of the breather , i cleaned out the gauze panel filter with thinners , dried them off and refitted everything , as a belt and braces measure i also fitted an oil catch can .
i ran this truck for 18 mths or so and worked it very hard and it never used a drop of oil in between oil changes .
as for the catch can that was a bit of a waste of time because there was never anything in it  Smile .
im not saying this is definately your problem but if it runs well and performs well its certainly worth looking into .

rick.
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 7:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

v8 rick wrote:
NickA wrote:

i guess you checked the cam cover breather by blowing through it ? or did you actually remove it from inside the cam cover ? there are 2 x small panel gauze fiters inside their purpose being to trap oil vapour and preventing it traveling through the breather pipe and drawn into the engine and being burnt .

rick.

I removed the breather pipe and blew through it to see if there was anything in there blocking it. To access these 2 gauze filters I would undo the 2 bolts on the top of the engine either end of the oil filler cap? Sorry if it sounds a stupid question but removing the intercooler is probably the most complex job i've ever done on my vehicle.

I go back to work tonight for 4 nights (6pm-6am) so I think I will leave this for my next 4 days off as I can't afford to have the vehicle off the road because i've done something wrong through lack of knowledge as i've got a 30 mile round trip to work each day.
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 14:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on this again now as i'm on my days off.

Photo of inside the turbo, looks pretty dry to me and there is 1mm of play at most.

I'm still not liking undoing the rocker cover to check the gauze filters it seems too much for my limited knowledge and that would have to be a garage job.

Also to make things worse my starter motor has gone now so the truck is a non runner until new one arrives.
geodrome

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 15:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was having issues with mine I put the rocker breather pipe into a 500 ml bottle and taped the connection up where it went into the inlet pipe. I then ran it like that and watched how much oil went into the bottle. Got to the point it was filling up really quickly, all stopped and was clear after the head went!
So from my experience it is not just the cooling side that can get effected when the head cracks.
Mark3
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 15:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty dry except for the puddle of oil. this almost certainly points to excess oil leaving the engine via the breather system as there is no other way that could get there.

the fact it runs lumpy from cold start maybe a red herring, if it don't start to well maybe heater plugs or maybe even pump seal,the later would give you a lack of performance which you said it had topping out at 85, maybe???
NickA
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark3 wrote:
Pretty dry except for the puddle of oil. this almost certainly points to excess oil leaving the engine via the breather system as there is no other way that could get there.

the fact it runs lumpy from cold start maybe a red herring, if it don't start to well maybe heater plugs or maybe even pump seal,the later would give you a lack of performance which you said it had topping out at 85, maybe???

Starting is fine, always fires up first turn of the key, then runs lumpy until revved 2 or 3 times. Yes it is 85 where it tops out (I did read that loss of power was a side effect of running on veg oil which I do in mine). It doesn't cut out at all once started which I thought that pump seal caused although strengely enough the oil level has risen slightly since last checking it a few days ago.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Starting / running issues All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: