QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Water Injection Fitted

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Water Injection Fitted Reply with quote

Finally got round to fitting the water injection system to keep the engine clean and as a preventative measure against ring gumming. I got the basic de-coke kit from Devils Own. Basically it's just a tank, a 300psi pump and a nozzle,  with a pressure switch to control when the pump runs. I've also added a switch and light so I can see when it's running and disable it if required.

Tank and pump mounting plate:

Nozzle mounted in EGR blanking plate on inlet manifold:

Engine bay:

Pressure switch in line with turbo boost gauge line (red), mounted (cable ties) on the ABS pipes.
Relay and wiring mounted other side of ABS unit.
Water line (blue) running across the back and up the passenger foot plates to the tank.
Non-return valve just before the nozzle.

Switch to disable pump and to light up when the turbo boost hits around 0.4bar to show when the pump is running.

Gauge for sender in the new tank. The tank is pretty small so the gauge is all over the place when the car is moving.

Fake speaker port in the new load cover so the tank can be filled without taking the cover out. Plus the cover wouldn't sit on the window ledges without the hole.
[/url]

Currently the system is running on screen wash but hopefully I'll find a good supply of methanol to mix 50/50 with distilled water in the future. Can't say I notice any performance increase, but I think you have to tune the car to new lower running temps. Not that I'm bothered as this is just for a cleaner engine.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2014 23:00    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neat job! I like the load cover in your other post too.  Very Happy

What's the device mounted on the bracket near the water inlet pipe? It looks like it could be a heat exchanger, but not quite sure.
mark dale
Site Admin
Site Admin

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 1:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting - how long have you been running this?  Are there any side effects?

I've got some methanol if you want  - left over from when I processed bio. I'm in Settle, so not too far away - I have a few 20l drums. find the going price for it, and I'll do it cheaper ...

Mark " alcohol free " Dale
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
Neat job! I like the load cover in your other post too.  Very Happy

What's the device mounted on the bracket near the water inlet pipe? It looks like it could be a heat exchanger, but not quite sure.

Nice one cheers. It's is a heat exchanger (the small one from Biotuning). Plumbed into the heater matrix pipes and fuel pipes. I was going to twin tank for the veg oil but found out about water injection before I fitted it. Glad I did really as this is a bit better I think. Time will tell though.
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 17:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark dale wrote:
Interesting - how long have you been running this?  Are there any side effects?

I've got some methanol if you want  - left over from when I processed bio. I'm in Settle, so not too far away - I have a few 20l drums. find the going price for it, and I'll do it cheaper ...

Mark " alcohol free " Dale

It's been running for a couple of weeks, but I've not done many miles yet. Ideally I'd like to do a longer journey to see how it fares. From what I've read, I was expecting to have to alter the pump timing a little to account for the change in combustion properties, but so far running just the same. That might change with a 50/50 methanol mix.

Speaking of that, cheers for the offer of the methanol, I'm definitely interested. I'd have to look into prices etc and if there are any quality requirements for this kind of injection. I've seen some adverts stating 'not to be used for motorsport'. Why, I don't know yet.
John2.5TD

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 18:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

so ur telling me .. u run ur car on pure water ?????

or do u still need diesel ???
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2014 20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one dannypaj.

Maybe something I'll be looking at when I get time - not this year though. I first looked at a mister for the Capri when I put the supercharger system on it but great for a veg burner.
I knew someone would ask about the extra under-bonnet gubbins  Smile
Mine's been running with the twin-tank for a few weeks now and I'm over the moon with it. Nice to run on cheaper fuel taxfree but probably an equal value bonus is that it's running smoother now than it ever has done since I got it ten years back. No steering wheel vibes at tickover, no vibration zones through the rev range and no pins-&-needles in my fingers after a long drive. It's even much smoother through the auto gear changes, hardly noticeable when you're acclerating steadily. Curious thing is though, it even runs smoother on diesel now than before but that could be due to a bit of svo mixing into the derv tank via the return system.
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 0:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

John2.5TD wrote:
so ur telling me .. u run ur car on pure water ?????

or do u still need diesel ???

Sort of still diesel,  95% waste veg oil and 5% petrol, but with the water injected as a mist into the air intake to 'steam clean' the engine - to stop any potentially harmful effects of running on cold veg oil when the engine is cold.

For the same reasons Jowter is twin tanking his. thumbup
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2014 14:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a side issue, that pod mounting gauge idea looks so good for other readings, ie, altitude, boost pressure.

Can you tell a little about the range offered and the supplier ?
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 13:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi trekker, just noticed your post. I bought the gauge from ebay, it's just a 52mm one I liked the look of. The pod was also from ebay and fixed with velco. They're not from a specific range or anything.
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 18:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick update - I can't get this to run smoothly on 50/50 water/methanol, so back on just tap water for now until I get some more info.
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 0:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

How much did this setup cost you and do you know how much difference its made to running temperature?
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2014 19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

This setup cost around £250 when there was a sale on at Devil's Own. Not sure about temps yet as I haven't managed to get it working properly for more than a few days. There seems to be a problem with the nozzle jamming up.

There is a small part which goes inside that looks like it hasn't been machined properly. There should be some small channels machined into the middle piece so the water flows through to the actual hole. Devil's Own said they would replace it free of charge.

dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quick test to show the spray pattern of the nozzle.  At this rate a 10L tank will 1hr 52m, so I'll have to remember to turn it off on the motorway.

http://youtu.be/ygoOyZoh4s8
KGogarty

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

How has this been going for you?

I am looking to do something similar but was thinking of using the headlamp washer fluid tank. That depends on capacity of the tank though, I haven't checked yet.

Did you get the nozzle working properly in the end.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: