eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Brake pedal

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scubalee

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 22:56    Post subject: Brake pedal Reply with quote

Hi everyone , help please , I have a shoggy 3.0 v6 on an l plate ,petrol. I changed all of the pads the other day and didn't do anything different when I have changed them in the past, the brake pedal now travels all the way to the floor and locks only the front brakes the rears keep turning I am losing fluid but I don't know we're from, guys any ideas welcome , tempted to let the mother I'm law drive it down a hill .... Please help cheers lee
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 22:56    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

scubalee

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2014 22:09    Post subject: Brake pedal Reply with quote

REALLY ....... Bloody 30 views on my question and not one bit of advice .......
KEVINBUK

Zodiac: Leo

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 0:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does sound like you have a leak at the rears mate... The obvious stuff to check is for a loose or weeping bleed nipple, cracked or damaged flexi pipes and of course corroded brake pipes. If theres no leak to be found then you must have a fair amount of air in your brake line so in that case I would bleed the whole system again using one of those pressure flush devices so that you are sure all the air has been bled out.

It cannot be anything else ( that I can think of) ... A leak of fluid or air in the rear brake lines...

Good luck

K  Wink
Jutwit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 0:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my wife's scenic when you change the pads on the back you have to clamp the hoses and crack open the bleed nipple before you push the pistons back, there's some rubber thing in it that gets pushed back with the fluid if you don't do it correctly that stops the brakes from working, and it's only on the rear, sorry can't remember the name of the rubber thing. Might be something like that on shoguns, if not I would def be getting back under there and having a look cos it's got to be something you've done, or was it like that before you changed them and you never noticed it if it was a slow process?
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 6:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jutwit wrote:
you have to clamp the hoses and crack open the bleed nipple before you push the pistons back

If you have ABS then I think you have to do the clamping thing on the hoses to avoid damage to the system.

Changing pads requires moving the calipers - so maybe one of the flexible hoses has got strained and damaged.
scubalee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 19:13    Post subject: Brake pedal Reply with quote

Guys ...... Thank you so much cheers lee
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on... what you check and what you see. Its a process of elimination and I'm sure you will get to the bottom of it.

I doubt you will have ABS on a '93 model (could be wrong but I think thats too early) but its good practice anyway to clamp the pipe before you push the piston back in so any grubby fluid gets ejected anyway. Its too late for that now though as if there is air in the lines you will need to flush it out. And just bleed one caliper at a time (apologies if that is obvious but ...)

good luck

K  Wink
scubalee

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 21:49    Post subject: Brake pedal Reply with quote

Hi kev ,yep if have abs big block by the master cylinder saying abs doh.......do you think it could be the master cylinder as this has happened right after changing the pads front and rear......I can't find any leaks ,had my truck up on a forklift to look underneath nothing apart from a sticky residue above the rear axle .?????????? Cheers lee
Jutwit

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 23:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the scenic if it does push the rubber thingy back which I think is in the master cylinder, it's a new unit apparently it can't be fixed, and the brakes won't work at all, hope that helps
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2014 23:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you need to read this sticky...

http://www.pocuk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27845

Hopefully its not the HBB and you will be able to fix the problem but it might be time to call in a Mitsi brakes expert.

K  Wink
scubalee

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2014 22:49    Post subject: Brake pedal Reply with quote

Kev would this HBB thing be on my shogun even if its 20yrs old  ...cheers lee
KEVINBUK

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2014 0:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lee

Is your ABS light on? If not I would assume the ABS is still OK (also assume it comes on when switching ignition on and then goes off after a few seconds? ) and focus on the simpler/cheaper stuff first.

You have already checked for leaks and cannot see any... Good

Ensure your reservoir is full

Now Bleed your rear brake lines using a pressure bleeder. Make sure the lines are clear of air, do one at a time.

Hopefully that wil resolve the problem... Fingers crossed

K  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Wheels, tyres, suspension, brakes and steering All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: