eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Unable to Format use Rescued Hard Drive

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Aries

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 20:05    Post subject: Unable to Format use Rescued Hard Drive Reply with quote

Using WIN 7
I Know Its the pest again. I think this is a Geeky problem.
I have a hard drive rescued from an old PC that was given me and am trying to use as an external drive [i have the requisite hardware]  the only way I can get the PC to recognize it is to connect it up [via USB port] and restart computer, I then get Local disk G and removable disk F. When try to open F says please insert disk. Try to open G get not responding, after a considerable time trying to read the disk.
Tried format and restore settings "Windows cannot Format G" I have tried with the disk as a primary and as a secondary drive with similar results. When I look in properties it shows disk 100% full. I seem to recall years ago using a sanitizer and got unusable disks, wonder if that is what has occurred here.
Is there any way I can rescue this disk
Step by step please this 75 year old brain don't work so good.
THANKS MUCHLY.
P.S. the box works with other disks.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 20:05    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look on your Desktop and see if you have an icon labelled 'Computer' - if you do then right click on it and you get a a pop up list of items - left click on 'Manage'.

If you don't have the Computer icon then open Windows Explorer and you should have 'Computer' at the top of the list - again right click on it and then left click on 'Manage'.

This opens another window and in the list on the left is 'Storage' and 'Disk Management'. Left click on 'Disk Management' and this will give a list of all your disks and what there state is - you can drag a corner of the window to make it bigger so you can see everything at once.

See what it says about your dodgy disk and let us know and we might be able to help you better.
dransy

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the hard drive an internal one ? If so have a look at the back and there will be a 2 prong pin thing which sets the hard drive to either slave or master etc try that ?
dransy

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 18:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind Very Happy didn't read all post haha
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 22:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

dransy. What should it be set to? I have another HD that works and that is set to Master, so assume that's what it should be.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 0:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mimauk, When I eventually got the PC to  "recognize" it at all, disk [G] properties show used 0, free 0, capacity 0
Also in disk management "G" Simple Basic RAW Healthy Active Primary Partition.
I thought though I don't know how, I managed to format it but eventually "Windows was unable to complete Format"
Thanks for your help I hope the above allows you to assist further.
mimauk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Pisces

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 8:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you can see the disk drive in the disk management window - right click on it in the upper window and see if the pop up menu gives the option to 'mark the partition active', if so, left click on it and you should be able to format it then.

hth
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you go into computer and disk management you should be able to see all hard drives and there partitions,if you right click the hard drive you should get a box pop up with different options,go down to properties and click on it,this will open another box with variouse options, click on tools and then select error checking, first one on the list,click on that and another box will open,click start to check disk for errors,it is also a good idea to run malwarebytes,and avast anti virus on the disk as well,in case theres any viruses on the disc that can make a disc unusable untill removed,it could just be the disc is on its way out,good luck with it Len  Very Happy forgot to mention,both malwarebytes and avast are free to download and use.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again all. No time today but will let you know. I have Avast, and have used Malwarebytes in the past, but find Spyhunter to be a better option.
icehawk. Forgive my failing memory Embarassed.  Is it Ian? Famed for air con solutions. Wish at least my mind was 20 years younger. Like to look at pretty girls, but cant remember why  Wink  Rolling Eyes
icehawk
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 13:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

REVOGEL wrote:
Thanks again all. No time today but will let you know. I have Avast, and have used Malwarebytes in the past, but find Spyhunter to be a better option.
icehawk. Forgive my failing memory Embarassed.  Is it Ian? Famed for air con solutions. Wish at least my mind was 20 years younger. Like to look at pretty girls, but cant remember why  Wink  Rolling Eyes

No Len, iv watched the film con air though if that counts  Laughing spyhunters good as well,iv had a few laptop hard drives that have refused to boot/format or load windows,usually a failing hard drive though.
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 14:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so revive this failing memory for me please.  Hate it when I cant recall [important] things
REVOGEL
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 14:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Guys Tried all. Recon I have a dodgy disk as nothing worked. Still not all is lost I can add to my collection of rare earth magnets LOL, soon have enough to make a magic UFO.  
Started to think it may be the box/interface but that is OK with my small 10Gb drive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Computer bytes All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: