2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

pajero evo dyno tune

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
T04GTR

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51    Post subject: pajero evo dyno tune Reply with quote

hey all,
i have done some more things to the evo,
i have found putting 20l of avgas 100ll in each tank all pinging is eliminated.
i also got some cam gears from 3sx to suit a gto. i had to modify them as the inner diameter is 30mm on a gto where ours is 35mm. + a larger dowel.
aaaanyway, on to the dyno. with the gears set at FACTORY specs, it made a max power of 176kw@rear wheels on a mainline chassis dyno in 4th gear. (manual)

i started by advancing the inlet cam, less power the whole way. retarding, less power.
exhaust made similar results.
bottom line, cam gears were a waste of time. for once in all my years the factory cam timing is optimal.

but what intrigues me is by moving the cams around, i did not move the power around as you would normally expect.
dyno chart to follow.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:51    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

alan83

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 23:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

How close are the engines to what was used in the dakar? I know the whole car is meant to be pretty similar but maybe in this car even the engine is quite close to what was used? Were the regs quite strict for entering a car? Perhaps the engine is genuinely tuned as high as it could be for the dakar regulations
magn1t

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 23:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those 3SX cam gears are junk as are most of them.
The zero mark isn't at zero so the only way to get it right is to degree the cams properly.
If you take some measurements you might  find that each "degree mark" on the cam gear is 1 cam degree which is 2 crank degrees. Cams are "degreed" in crank degrees not cam degrees.
Also the common +3 and -1, whatever it is, isn't right either, that was just one particular salesman who has a habit of making it all up as he goes.
That's why you measure it properly.
Your pinging is because it's a performance jap engine that needs 100RON fuel.
Water injection works well.
Running a 10 or 20% mix of methanol in the tank works too.
An Apexi ITC or Greddy E manage would fix it too by pulling out a bit of timing advance.
T04GTR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I KNOW. i had to key the gears off the stock ones. and re-mark the timing belt pointers.
ie: install stock gear on locked cam. mark rocker cover and re-dowl the 3sx ones to match. all within +/- 1/2 degree.
[img][/img]
T04GTR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES I DO HAVE A SUPER AFC/ AND A SUPER ITC INSTALLED. old type ones. set to 300ogt for the correct crank trigger pattern
it has a PADUKU ecu tune on it. no good as the mivec comes on a 4k. hence the massive dip in torque.

ps, i am a mechanic and have been playing around with this poo for the best part of 15yrs, so i am aware of the cam/crank degree marks,,lol
T04GTR

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

alan83 wrote:
How close are the engines to what was used in the dakar? I know the whole car is meant to be pretty similar but maybe in this car even the engine is quite close to what was used? Were the regs quite strict for entering a car? Perhaps the engine is genuinely tuned as high as it could be for the dakar regulations

as far as im aware, in the factory class, it was as factory as posible. not evan sure they had headers.
the unlimited one was 4.0l and restricted.
magn1t

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're running evoscan as well to monitor knock? and all the rest of the datalogging to go with it?

Good to know about the 4000 mivec trigger point. I had a feeling that the stock changeover point was either 3500 or 4500 but not in the middle.

I wouldn't call an evo "poo"......it's the most powerful N/A engine that Mitsubishi have ever built. A masterpiece of technology?

Yes, the old type AFC and ITC, got them in my GTO too.
T04GTR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 1:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

we have a phormula ks-4 knock box hooked up to the dyno, VERY good tool to have. we have a 0-5v output to the dyno screen to plot as we do a pull. very good for sr20 and falcon xr6t
the stock mivec changeover is around 5k i believe.
i want to get  evoscan to clean it up. but i have tried contacting merlin a few times without success.
we have evoscan at work but we dont have the "definition file" to start with.
otherwise im considering a syvecs s6 for it. but atm our dollar is in the toilet.

not they are not "poo". the forum changed the word s h i t. figure of speech.

Last edited by T04GTR on Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:22; edited 1 time in total
EVO_PAJ

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 6:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving this Topic guys, Smile

So To4 - Bud we didn't catch up over chrissy .. booo just went too fast mate...

So let us in on the performance mods you are now upto, you're 30kw's atw more then me, id be interested to know what you have done to get their Smile

I cant remember if you had changed the headers or gone back to stock, i knew it had an ECU tune and a zorst, did you end up changing the throttle body ?
magn1t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be interested to know what a PADUKU ECU tune is because they're not reflashable nor chippable ECUs. Not unless it's got the plastic case ECU.

How did you shift the mivec point?
Maybe it should be back where it started?
EVO_PAJ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 8:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought Anything after 1996 Mitsubishi wise could be tuned ?

Have the same port i thought to plug in the EVOSCAN / Tattrix tool. I thought they plugged into the MUT connector under the Dash?
magn1t

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only American, not Japanese, they're not OBD2 either.

I've actually got a spare ECU from a Diamante 30M somewhere, it's similar to a GTO one but they're speed density with MAP sensor instead of using an AFM.
Not chippable nor re flashable.
There's no problem tuning them with piggybacks though.

They're known as a MUT2, or what the yanks refer to as "hybrid"
That's because they use the OBD2 port but not OBD2 wiring or software.
Same as the 94 through 2000 GTOs, no GTOs are OBD2 nor flashable.
I've been playing with GTOs for 15 years now. As well as other cars.
T04GTR

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

its a plastic box ecu. rev limit is 7800 ish
i have dowloaded the base image and it appears that all the ignition maps have been copied. ie high octane map is used for everything.
i dont have a "defintion file" to start the tune with it.

mivec needs to be around 4750 ish. dual runner manifold needs to be on the whole time mivec ISNT on.

current mods.
25% avgas 100ll to stop low rpm pinging at light throttle
genie "oval port" pajero extractors with custom "y" pipe unequal length in 2"
y merge collector 8" long cone up to 3" (was a reverse megaphone but was WAY to raspy so i cut it back to 3" removing the part where it went to 4" with a short reverse cone to 3") if that makes sense.
no cat
3" hooker aero chamber muffler 3" magna flow straight thru at rear.
65mm magna throttle body with evo paj throttle rod bits and idle motor (evo paj one is 63mm :s)
dual runner manifold butterflies adjusted so they are closed all the way(made a good difference at light throttle
"hump" in plenum for throttle cable deleted (made hektic mivec cut in induction noise alot quieter+flattened out top end power to 7500 instead of falling over at 6500
adjustable cam gears (waste of time)
large pod air filter intake. did have arc but it (kept hitting the bonnet and holding up up abit)
wideband/egt/apexi s-afc/s-itc
egt mounted in left extractor collector. full noise temp ~750 deg c

does mad flames out the back after a full power squirt on over run aftwer cracking the throttle.
EVO_PAJ

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh sweet,

What i think i love the most mate, is that its all from trial and error, i love it, you do it so others dont have too Smile

Also the fact that there is no off the shelf parts , so to speak, (airbox exception) Kudos to you bud.

I found my ARC Airbox hit the bonnet too, so i just put one of those rubber dots you put on the legs of chairs (clear plastic spongy rubber thing) and it now hits that and not the bonnet ..

Still got your airbox ? i know a few peeps willing to remove a limb or two for one Smile
T04GTR

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

i know!. working as a "performance" mechanic lends itself to abit of fiddling

yeah, its a paduku one. looks identical, also got the big chamber inlet thing, its a little beat up though.
just to throw a spanner in the works i may have someone interested in buying my evo

also, worth noting is the floor center console is NO LONGER MADE OR STOCKED by mitsubishi. nill stock hear and japan Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> EVO Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: