2Gether Insurance 01945 585322

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

veg oil

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarojo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 17:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it work out better if I was to mix say 5 litres of diesel to 15 litres of veg oil then pour that in tank on top of neat diesel in tank, just a thought to make it easier,would that make it mix better?
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 17:02    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2015 8:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be better, yes. It still probably wouldn't mix totally, but it would mix more than neat veg oil.
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

Zodiac: Virgo

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 19:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found a mix of 95% filtered WVO, 5% Petrol and 0.1% 2-EHN work well all year round.

I'm pretty sure it's only the bio-fuel which counts towards the 2500L limit. Not the overall mix. Otherwise you'd be double counting diesel/petrol which has already had the tax paid at the filling station within a 'tax free' count.
Rob546454

Zodiac: Libra

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2015 23:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you use the 2-EHN for? To increase the cetane rating? How did you work out how much to put in?
rich r

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it's definitely what you put in the tank that counts towards the limit. The wording on the HMRC document is quite clear.

It only becomes a road fuel when it's put into a vehicle (or a container that's intended to put it into a vehicle). So you could have 50 litres of 1% veg oil and 99% diesel, but it's still 50 litres of fuel, so you would be taxed on 50 litres. Obviously as the general public we don't have much option but to buy diesel and petrol from a filling station so we've already paid tax on the diesel, but if you were commercially producing a fuel you'd be buying it from a supplier and not paying tax on it as it won't be classed as a road fuel at that point.

The 2500 litre per year exemption for small volume road fuel producers (which is what you are if you make something that's then used to power a vehicle) is good though, as for most people like us, 2500 litres is more than you'll use in a year anyway. As long as you keep records as described in the HMRC document (date and quantity of when you put a mix in the vehicle - it's composition isn't relevant) then you're covered should you be asked to prove you aren't evading tax.
vijay

Zodiac: Gemini

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 10:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob546454 wrote:
What do you use the 2-EHN for? To increase the cetane rating? How did you work out how much to put in?

Yep ups the cetane level. I use 2ml per litre of veg
Rob546454

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 16:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was considering blending with kerosene, as its good for thinning veg, and its cetane rating is a bit too high on its own but would balance out with veg.
rich r

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately kerosene is illegal to use in road fuels. Sad
Rob546454

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2015 16:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

not if the duty was paid...
rich r

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's not allowed on a pollution or transportation classification basis rather than a tax one, although it's not something I've ever looked into.

You can use it as an aviation fuel though, so maybe put some wings on the Paj and claim you're just taxiing Smile
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 22:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich r wrote:
No it's definitely what you put in the tank that counts towards the limit. The wording on the HMRC document is quite clear.

It only becomes a road fuel when it's put into a vehicle (or a container that's intended to put it into a vehicle). So you could have 50 litres of 1% veg oil and 99% diesel, but it's still 50 litres of fuel, so you would be taxed on 50 litres. Obviously as the general public we don't have much option but to buy diesel and petrol from a filling station so we've already paid tax on the diesel.

Sorry mate, it doesn't apply to the mix. I've re-read the HMRC guidelines and it doesn't say what you're saying. It's just the biofuel which attracts the duty. If you've paid duty on some fuel once, you won't be asked to pay on it again. They're only interested in any fuel you use which hasn't already had the duty paid at the filling station or wherever else.

With good record keeping you can prove which parts you've already paid on and which parts you haven't.
rich r

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 8:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we'll agree to disagree. Smile

When I started using SVO (and then WVO), I got a certified bookkeeper friend who does tax returns for small businesses to check up, and what she found agreed with what's generally posted on the various alternative fuel websites. Any fuel that contains significant quantities biologically derived non-mineral components is a biofuel. That means diesel+veg is a biofuel. The exemption applies to 2500 litres of self-produced biofuel, not 2500 litres of liquids added to an existing liquid that you may or may not have paid some level of tax. Yes you could probably claim back the tax you'd paid on the diesel if you bought it from a filling station, but it's not worth the effort for the majority of people. If you're producing over 2500 litres a year, then you'll have to do the tax return anyway, and can include the tax already paid on the diesel so you don't have to pay it twice. The exemption is so that people using small quantities don't need to worry about the tax return.

To be honest if you're keeping decent records and can produce them, any inspector will almost certainly wave you on your way and not waste their time. They're after people flagrantly evading tax by using agricultural diesel or things that are nasty for people's health like used engine oil.
dannypaj
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 21:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link for the latest notice from the HMRC regarding the 2500L limit and other related things.

Excise Notice 179e: biofuels and other fuel substitutes
Published 1st June 2014

Interesting to find out that the 2500L tax free allowance applies to personal use and business use. I thought it was just for personal so I couldn't use in a company car. Might have to start running my own car for work and give the company one back. That would be 40p/mile. Great if the fuel is free, but not sure what the company would think of it though.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2015 21:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link.

I interpret it that 2,500 litre limit applies to the vegetable oil and not to any diesel/vegetable oil mix that's prepared prior to putting in the vehicle tank.
Quote:

4.2.1 Exempt producers/users
If you have produced or used less than 2,500 litres of either:
    * any biofuel
    * any other fuel substitute or additive

within the last 12 months, and/or expect to produce or use less than 2,500 litres in the next 12 months, you are an exempt producer and do not need to register with us and account for duty.

Vegetable oil is classed as a fuel substitute, so it's that substance which counts towards the 2,500 litre limit.

Surely?
Jowter
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 2:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used svo & done many miles without problem just pouring 30 to 40% veg into the truck's tank of 70 to 60% diesel and relying on the motion of driving to mix it sufficiently. It does get well bashed around in there especially when the tank gets lower, you're only MIXING the molecules and not chemically dissolving / fusing / de-esterificateringtrygliceriateringetcetcetc. them together.  It's not been a problem.

You only pax tax or make allowance for (2500 limit) what you pour into the tank, not what's already in there so is HERMIT going to stand & watch you pour it in or ask if you mixed it in a tub before you did?.

If you twin-tank it then same applies, you can use 2500 litres of svo plus whatever diesel you like.

I've not read that latest 2014 just now (might have done sometime) but from what I have read previously; commercially producing refers to commerce as in selling what you produce. So I take it that you can use the svo limit in your own company vehicle.

I've not so far heard of anyone being chased up on whether they've exceeded their limit.  I just enjoy "Exceeding" my svo  Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Bio-diesel / SVO / alternative fuels All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: