eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Sat Nav system - Has it lost it's way?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radiomike

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget these were fitted at port of entry so the antenna is going to be somewhere easy to find and fit.  The other nav part that was fitted at the same time was the larger display unit so there is a chance it might be fitted there.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:16    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

Jagrunner

Zodiac: Capricorn

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes your right regarding test fitting the replacement, but I'm still waiting for it to arrive! In the meantime, I'm going to have a look behind the dash for the original, just to see if it's still in place and hasn't fallen down as radiomike suggested. It will then at least confirm or remove that scenario. As I will have to gain access to fit the replacement, it won't be a wasted job.
I've removed the passenger glovebox and the Sat Nav disc box & mounting bracket/plate already.
On the top side of the mounting bracket/plate, sits the switch box and a coil of cables from the installation.  Passing through this bunch of cables, is the antenna lead, which then disappears up behind the dash. It looks at the moment as if the antenna box may well be positioned somewhere up behind the display screen in the centre of the dash. My next move is to remove the screen and see what lurks beyond.
Jagrunner

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I can now confirm that the GPS antenna lives just on top of the display screen metal surround, directly underneath the centre of the dash. It was still in it's original location, with quite a strong magnet holding it in place. So that rules out the fallen behind the dash scenario.
The GPS antenna has a large amount of cable attached to it, sufficient to enable me to fit the antenna on the Shogun roof and drive around the Cheshire countryside for 20 mins. Enough time to try and locate some satellites!  
Alas, no change. The display moved from just south of the I.O.Man to just north of the I.O.Man, but still in the Irish sea!
I tried to programme in my home address from the stored locations and the unit displayed the message that there was insufficient information to calculate the route. Definitely seems that the issue is with not receiving a satellite signal, or at least not enough of a signal for the unit to fix it's location. So now I await the replacement GPS antenna and hope that that fixes it.
Thanks again everyone for their help.

Last edited by Jagrunner on Sun May 03, 2015 16:25; edited 1 time in total
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2015 13:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how it goes.
rich r

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 10:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think from the fact that it moved albeit some distance to the northwest of where you should be, confirms that it's relying entirely on the speed signal and accelerometer inputs and has no GPS lock as we suspected.

Still - when the new antenna arrives you should be able to test it fairly easily.
Jagrunner

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 16:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the replacement antenna arrived and was plugged in to the unit, with the actual antenna sat on top of the dash for the purpose of testing. Another drive around the Cheshire countryside followed, but unfortunately, there is no difference!
I'm apparently still in the Irish sea, just north of the IOM.
On the screen, I had displayed the Latitude and Longitude of it's current location and it did move slightly as I drove, but not by much, only a few degrees.
I'm now at a loss as to what to do next. I'm assuming of course that the replacement antenna is working ok, so if the unit is receiving information from the antenna, I assume that the fault is in the unit itself, that it is not processing the GPS information?
The only other component is the "Switch Box". What does this bit of kit do and could it be the problem?
I don't want to throw loads of money at the system, because it isn't really that good. But as it's a standard fitment, I'd prefer it to work!
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 16:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be worth finding somewhere that can repair the unit - LIKE THESE
rich r

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2015 8:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

The next step would be to eliminate sources of interference that might be preventing it receiving a GPS signal. Have you tried it with the engine running, and with the engine not running?

Does a phone or other device with GPS get satellite reception when put on the dashboard near the antenna? Don't rely on just a location being correct on Google Maps or whatever, iPhones and the like use a combination of GPS, wifi databases and accelerometers to determine location. Download an app that shows what satellites it can see.

It could well be a fault inside the navigation unit, but let's see if we can rule everything else out.
Jagrunner

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:40    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Hi just to update everyone with this issue.
I managed to obtain a replacement unit from a breakers at a decent price. I plugged in the replacement unit & tested before final fitting and my Sat Nav is now working correctly!! Within a few minutes of turning the ignition on, the satellites had been located and the map was showing the correct location! Problem solved!
I never at the start of the problem suspected the actual unit, as some information was being displayed, albeit the wrong location etc. I wrongly assumed that the unit was not receiving the correct GPS signal. However, I now have a much clearer idea of how the system works and where all the gubbins are located on the Shogun. I also made the fitting of the unit a lot better/neater because it wasn't the best fitting job that I've ever seen!
Had the cost of the unit been too much, I wouldn't have bothered with the system, as it isn't the greatest, but it was bugging me that the system was fitted  and had stopped working. However, it's great to have it working again, however poor the system is compared to more modern units.
Thank you to all of you who helped with suggestions etc. I'm grateful for your help. Very Happy
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2015 16:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you got it sorted - at least you are out of the Irish Sea now  Very Happy
radiomike

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 0:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jagrunner, you will be surprised to know these satnav kits were well over a grand back in 2003 plus the cost of fitting.  They were only fitted to the Elegance models as standard but were available as a dealer fit option on others.
rich r

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 15:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent news. As you can see from a few posts back - we were very close to having eliminated everything other than the unit itself.

I have to say, my 2004 Subaru and Honda standard satnav units (Kenwood and Alpine respectively) whilst nothing fancy are capable of doing the job perfectly well, and don't look out of place in the car. In the Pajero I generally resort to balancing my iPhone on the dashboard Smile
trekker

Zodiac: Scorpio

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 16:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Garmin nuvi 500, stuck to the windscreen with a suction cup.

That's what happens when you drive a Mk 1, not much original gear.  Laughing  Laughing
CarlosTheJackal

Zodiac: Cancer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 20:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just experienced the same problem and discovered that the folding type reversing monitor I had stuck to the top of the dash was completely blocking any signal to the antenna. I replaced it with a stand up monitor on a stick and the problem was cured Smile. I suppose I could have just moved the existing monitor, but I wanted it where it was! Very Happy

Vehicle, 2006 Shogun Elegance.

Point being, something could be interfering with it, rather than it being faulty. Smile
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a similar problem with my Snooper speed detector - it was just below the stereo and worked fine until I put a new stereo in that blocked the signal to the Snooper.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> ICE / Radio / Sat-Nav / Alarms / Key Fobs All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: