eBid - Buy and Sell online

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What I had to do to my street princess

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 23:58    Post subject: What I had to do to my street princess Reply with quote

This is my Junior just how it landed straight off the transporter.

It is a good job I didn't drive it home as it had no oil to speak of in the engine. Checked (most ) oils and changed them, oil and air filter but still have the transfer box to check.

Three days later it looked like this. stripped of horrible things like roof rack and wind deflectors.  Even more was to be 'junked' as the days rolled by.  For example the cover below the foglamps on the front bumper which was only held in place by two thin steel straps attached behind the licence plate (which is why the plate had to come off and it resisted being removed very admirably Very Happy ).

and while I was at it I fitted the licence plate directly.

The speedo didn't work so I ordered a new cable.  The previous owner had said it needed one and when I looked I could see there was some weird concoction at the transfer box gearing.  

Turns out that a cable had broken at the end leaving the end shaft well stuck in the drive.  I could only suss this when the new cable arrived a few weeks later so I used a pencil blowtorch to get it out.  As it happens I could have used the existing cable after all.  Arghhhhh.

But before the cable arrived I needed a lot more leg room so the seats needed to go farther back - almost the first job I did after the big strip out of the roof rack type junk. I wish I could find some direct replacement alternatives.  I think Pinin ones might fit as it looks the same as my Pinin ones.

Also niggling was a fag lighter that didn't work.  I run a battery meter, TomTom and others off it so I removed that and wired in a three way directly.  That meant removing the radio surround so I could "lose" the ashtray and fag lighter cowling all together.  Along the way I removed the stupid pull out cupholder which had been the reason for all sorts of goobah to drip on to everything beneath it.

So now I have this wired direct.

Once I had done the basic jobs as described I gave the interior a much needed spring clean and boy was it sh-one-tty.  

Next was the "underbody" and it has taken me around four weeks to shift the rust from the underside.  I am pleased to say that there has been no rot found unlike my rot box Pinin  though a good 40% of steel is gone in some places.

I started with the outer sills and chassis then went to the rear as the rear floor was surface rusty all over apart from areas protected by things like the fuel tank.  This baby had been in a seaside town and under the rust was a layer of salt.  I went from back to front..............I'd love to have been able to just turn it over and work from above. Laughing    I took off the rear bumper first to find the weight bearing bracket (for those who like to stand on the bumper) was 80% gone so I cut that 80% off it and refitted enough bracket to still give some strength if I wanted to sit on the bumper.

Finally arrived at the front a few days back.

The front arch liners came off rather easily.  Unlike the dreaded fuel filler pipe cover and behind that was what I, as a Pinin owner, fully expected.

So finally I got to the front.

As soon as the weather gets hot I'll be Waxoyling all chassis sections.

TBC............
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 23:58    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 4:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - you have been busy!
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 13:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
Wow - you have been busy!

Still got a lot to do!  Crying or Very sad

Also have more to add to the post but I can't find the edit button. Mad
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 13:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

helijohn wrote:
I can't find the edit button. Mad

There isn't one  Shocked
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 17:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
helijohn wrote:
I can't find the edit button. Mad

There isn't one  Shocked

It is too much to write up in one go so I need to come back to the post and add on info  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 18:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do long write-ups in Word on the computer first - then copy and paste them onto the forum.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2015 19:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I do long write-ups in Word on the computer first - then copy and paste them onto the forum.

Yeah, that's OK but I have more yet to photograph and do and I like to add as I go along. Crying or Very sad
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 10:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished some of the rust work in the engine bay.  I had to remove the battery and I was surprised to see how unrusty it was.  So I gave it a coat of galvanised spay while I was at the rusty areas.  The rust in the engine bay is only piddling stuff.
Slightly altered the dash too; made a little platform for my GPS gadget.CLICK TO VIEW
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised that my battery trays were not rusty - I think modern batteries don't produce as much corrosive gases as older ones did.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 12:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I was surprised that my battery trays were not rusty - I think modern batteries don't produce as much corrosive gases as older ones did.

Going by my Pinin experience - a 100% rot trap - I was expecting to find heaps of rot let alone rust but I was very surprised how rust free it was.  It helps that there is a plastic box around it too I suppose.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Pinin I had but it was nearly new so it didn't have any problems - it was just too small for what I needed.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 16:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I liked the Pinin I had but it was nearly new so it didn't have any problems - it was just too small for what I needed.

I had one as a loaner back in the day and the memory of that tempted me to get one but nearly all the older ones have the same two problems, rot (on the outriggers and front crossmember under the battery pan and rotted fuel filler pipe) and/or throttle body problems
The Junior is well smaller than the iO  (I don't call them Pinins since I had one  Very Happy) , even a tiny bit smaller than the Jimny but Junior is truly a mini version of the Pajero; where the iO was a revamp and frankly bore no relation to the Pajero IMHO.  They are often thought of as a toy car but they are extremely agile and proficient.  Junior is  ideal for me as a back up motor and is sooooo easy to work on that it is ridiculous.  Plus it has cheap road fund being a '97. Wink
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2015 17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to remember that the Pinin wasn't even built by Mitsubishi - the Junior does look very much like a small MkII Pajero - similar styling.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 0:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while since I posted and in the meantime I have added a few bits and bobs though I can't show all pics as I have to use photobucket and it's a PITA.

After I got the speedo working I had to fit a sticker for mph which entailed stripping out the speedo head completely and separating the glass from the unit..  Laying the sticker on was a tricky job.

I tore down the front bumper eventually and was finally able to get to the last area of tin for rustproofing and protecting with Hammerite underseal.  It came off fairly easily if you overlook the rusty screws that held me up.  Needless to say the bumper will come of in no time next time round. Wink   Getting the grille off was half the battle but essentially in the end I found it almost just pulls off.

I tried to remove the diamond star but broke it so attached the one from the spare wheel cover after painting it chrome. It was a fair bit larger.

The underside is now completely treated and here is a snippet of one view.

Cleaned up and coated the bash plate too. It was a rusty mess and needed treating but it is a strong bit of kit.

I've added a voltmeter and dash cam. Slipped a steering wheel cover on the wheel. Added an armrest that slots into the console between the seats.

Talking of seats, the rear seats are gone.

I had a right game changing the front wiper blades, one blade frame was rusted solid to the arm.  It was so seized I thought I would not be able to get it off but I replace both with the same size blades.

Some of the rear lighting had been modified to act as a rear fog  lamp.  They had converted the offside reverse lamp by changing it to a red bulb and wiring it separately.  I wanted both reverse lamps working and in white so I reversed the install and added my own foglamp but still used their wiring.  Not so pretty but hey ho.

And there is more...................................TBC
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've been busy!

All ready for winter now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: