QuoteSeek comparison service

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club®
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

What I had to do to my street princess

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pajunior

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi helijohn,

Good info on what to expect when the bumpers are removed. I'm beginning my strip down this weekend before a full respray. any advice on how to remove the plastic side mouldings? I'm guessing the door ones are accessible if I remove the inner card and the wheel ones can be got at by removing the wheel liners. While I'm on it I getting the underbody sealed. Waxoyl or something else? I seen a lot of reports saying it's great and rubbish. Equally excited and fearful at what I might find over the weekend.

Ian
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 10:26    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajunior wrote:
Hi helijohn,
I seen a lot of reports saying it's great and rubbish. Equally excited and fearful at what I might find over the weekend.

Ian

Hello Ian.
I've not removed the arch extensions on this motor but I expect it will be as you say.
What are you referring to as  "great and rubbish"?
If Waxoyl I swear by it but only for cavities.  
For underside panels I love Hammerite with added Waxoyl.
It was long job as the underside on mine had surface rust everywhere. I think rust is its deadliest enemy and the Pinin I had (and others I saw) bore the same sort of leaning to rusting but worse. Maybe that's because the Pinin was in this country from birth and suffered the ravages of a British climate.  I can say more when it has done 20 years in the UK.

If you are referring to the Junior I have very mixed feelings.  My biggest concerns are that there is no workshop manual and also getting parts. After a year of using it daily I can say it has been reliable.  I had some issues which I have not put right and I am surprised I haven't done them after 12 months.  Time flies don't it.  I guess attending to rust and other jobs used up all my keenness.  
On balance I still think it is a great little car and way superior to a Jimny mostly because of the front suspension.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajunior wrote:
Hi helijohn,

Good info on what to expect when the bumpers are removed.

Ian

I haven't shown much on how to remove the bumpers on this site as there is such a small allowance for adding pics.  Ypou'd do well to go to this http://www.pajerio.com/forum/juniors-story

Getting the grille off requires dealing with the clips along the top edge which are typical Mitsy and a nightmare. I broke a few.  I tried to release them with the aid of a thin screwdriver to push in the little tabs.  Once they are off (and not many went back even though I had bought spares) the clips nearer the headlights are a pull forward job.  With the grille off the finisher beneath it comes off by releasing the four small bolts (10mm AF heads I think) but mine were rusted and the steel is so thin it's easy to deform it all.  I ground off two and managed to save one each end to hold it in place on reassembly. I was tempted not to refit it. After that there are several small screwbolts etc. to shift and again they were rotted in place and finally simply some big bolts to undo to pull the bumper forward. There is the external temp sensor to detach and the front indicator/lights but they are straightforward enough.
With it off you can separate the skin from the frame. I simply cut away rusty steel (mainly the back bumper though) and treated with underseal. Oh yes, I took the mesh out and painted it red. lol
I think that covers it bumperwise. LOL
Pajunior

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply.

I've had already come across the link you suggest, I guess with such little information about I'll have found everything available on the net soon enough. I'll go with your suggestion on the waxoyl and hammerite with waxoyl. I'm (hopefully) very lucky with my Junior as there seems to be very little rust anywhere. I could only find a small spot underneath and only 2 or 3 tiny blisters on the bodywork. The true horror might be exposed at the weekend. If I don't get to frustrated I'll take a few pics of the skirt removal and start a thread on the refurb.

cheers
Nuck

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 16:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajunior wrote:
Thanks for the reply.

I've had already come across the link you suggest, I guess with such little information about I'll have found everything available on the net soon enough. I'll go with your suggestion on the waxoyl and hammerite with waxoyl. I'm (hopefully) very lucky with my Junior as there seems to be very little rust anywhere. I could only find a small spot underneath and only 2 or 3 tiny blisters on the bodywork. The true horror might be exposed at the weekend. If I don't get to frustrated I'll take a few pics of the skirt removal and start a thread on the refurb.

cheers

If you're Dublin based, I can recommend a panel beater if the rust damage is bad.
Pajunior

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 16:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nuck

Gerty (as the wife calls her) is in excellent condition. Only a few shopping trolley dents, that sort of thing. Few small spots of rust. Where do you get your spare parts? The thin panel under the front grill is bent and I'm not sure it's worth trying to get fixed.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2016 21:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajunior wrote:
Hi Nuck

Gerty (as the wife calls her) is in excellent condition. Only a few shopping trolley dents, that sort of thing. Few small spots of rust. Where do you get your spare parts? The thin panel under the front grill is bent and I'm not sure it's worth trying to get fixed.

Spares can be had at Mitsy dealers.  Some online and eBay etc.  I've had some from Amayama.
That finisher panel is the one I want to leave off.  It was a nightmare to detach.   It is really thin and so relatively easily bent back into shape.
Take off the plastic cover to the fuel filler pipe and see if it is OK.  On Pinins they rust through and you end up with petrol on the floor when you fill her up.  Mine was rusty but not perforated so I cleaned it up and coated .  I am leaving the plastic off as it is a muck trap.
Nuck

Zodiac: Sagittarius

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 14:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pajunior wrote:
Where do you get your spare parts? The thin panel under the front grill is bent and I'm not sure it's worth trying to get fixed.

There's a lad in Wexford / Wicklow who breaks juniors - he's on DoneDeal. For service items, MicksGarage. Mitzi dealers have parts, but by Christ are they expensive - I had to get a glovebox catch release (wee bitten of plastic) that cost 20 EUR from the local dealers!

You can get parts from Yahoo Auctions in Japan, the search term is H57A or use http://auctions.search.yahoo.co.jp/search?p=H57A&oq=&auccat=26318&slider=0&tab_ex=commerce&ei=UTF-8&b=1 . I get parts for my Daihatsu Copen from a chap called Jesse - http://jessestreeter.com/ - as the costs are usually far cheaper. You send him the links and pay him via paypal... he then posts the parts out to you.
Pajunior

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 14:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Nuck, thanks for the links. Maybe my exploratory work this weekend wont throw up any surprises.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2016 20:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nuck wrote:
I get parts for my Daihatsu Copen from a chap called Jesse - http://jessestreeter.com/ - as the costs are usually far cheaper. You send him the links and pay him via paypal... he then posts the parts out to you.

Brilliant thanks. Cool
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 18:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here we go.  Over the months the battery had been going flat, took about a month or six weeks.  At first I thought it was because the passenger seat cover left the door slightly open for a day and the courtesy light had drained the battery.  Naturally I charged it and thought no more of it.  But it has happened twice since.  Once is an event, twice is a fluke but three times is something else.  So when the guy came to fit a new timing belt to Paj senior I asked him to check the alternator for me and sure enough the alternator was doing almost nothing.
Seems like I have been running around on battery power alone.  Apparently what happens to the ABS system when the battery goes flat could be interesting.
Sooooo just as this happened the name Jesse came up on here so long story slightly short  I am getting a  used alternator from Japan Yahoo auction site via Jesse.
Amayama wanted $600 for a new one................no chance.
A reconditioner  wanted about £144!
Funny thing, I never tried Mitsy main dealer.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 19:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been at it again.  Today an alternator arrived from a Japanese breaker's yard.  My thanks to Jesse Streeter who was recommended on the forum here somewhere but as usual I can't find the post.
It was going to be about $500+ for a new one and I found someone who told me they might be able to fix the one that was on for around £150.
So a used one arrived at just over the £100 mark and a 10 day wait (5 of which is down to Parcelforce waiting for their cut) and I fitted it today.  
There seemed to be no charge coming from the one on the engine and the mechanic said it was hardly charging.  Now the voltmeter seems to be doing something useful.
Time to fit 3-4 hours.  Getting the connector off the regulator was a right game and took way too long....................why do they make these connectors so tricky that they are like bra straps to release?  Then getting the bolts undone was a trial of my patience.
I haven't had many alternators go kaput in my time and I am hoping this one is going to do the job.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 19:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad you got it sorted - have you thought about researching whether the same model alternator is fitted to other makes of cars? - they might be cheaper.

I know Hutchy on here has found some bits off a Kia fit his engine (I can't remember what bits though  Confused )
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I'm glad you got it sorted - have you thought about researching whether the same model alternator is fitted to other makes of cars?

Thanks and yes I did and spent hours at it.  Turns out it is a unique alternator, ABT!!!  Unbelievably I think it is the same story over the rear shox   arghhhhhh.
I want to check the thermostat soon and I am dreading that but you'd think THAT would be a common part.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 20:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mitsy seem to have done that a lot - I've never worked out why, probably to make sure you buy spares from them.

I think you will be OK with the thermostat - they are all more or less the same .... aren't they?  Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners Club® Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: