Automotive handbooks / manuals

The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ
The Mitsubishi Pajero, Shogun, Montero, Challenger, Raider and EVO 4x4 Owner's Club

The POCUK - it's not just a Club, it's a way of life!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Watched TopicsWatched Topics   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your personal messagesLog in to check your personal messages   Log inLog in 
Click here to link to the Pajero Owners Club UK FaceBook Group!POCUK FaceBook Group  POCUK home pagePOCUK Home  POCUK ForumsPOCUK Forums  CalendarCalendar

Testing a new temp gauge sender

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
... and the gauge is working.

I wonder whether the PTFE tape is insulating the sender from the block so you are not getting a circuit..

Before I installed it I tried connecting a wire to earth to it (the new sender) and it didn't register. Had I put the electric paint stripper nozzle on it maybe it would have registered.  I also put the PTFE high up so the starter threads were exposed.

It registers the same reading as the old sender but when the engine is warm; the needle comes up to the lowest mark the gauge has which is about a tenth up the scale.

So if it moves it must have electrical continuity do we think.

I was wondering if there is overcooling as in when the thermostat is wide open or not even present but I checked circulation and it behaves like the thermostat is present and working.
Google
Sponsor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 15:25    Post subject: Google Ads keep the POCUK free to join!

peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 18:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not likely that you have got two duff senders.

Have you got a multimeter to read the resistance of them?

Usually the resistance is high when cold and gets lower when they get hot. So if you try the old one in a cup of boiling water and watch what happens as it cools down.

Maybe your gauge is going to the top of the scale when you short the wire to earth - but not very sensitive to low resistances. ... I'm clutching at straws with that idea though.

The only way to check if the engine is too cold is to fit an aftermarket temperature gauge with a sender in the top radiator hose. Lots of people do that on the bigger trucks because the OEM gauge is not very accurate anyway.

I fitted an extra gauge and when it showed me my engine wasn't running too cold then I changed the original sender only because I don't like things that don't work properly. Even though my OEM gauge is working now, I never look at it and use the aftermarket one.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
It's not likely that you have got two duff senders.

The only way to check if the engine is too cold is to fit an aftermarket temperature gauge with a sender in the top radiator hose. Lots of people do that on the bigger trucks because the OEM gauge is not very accurate anyway.

Great minds think alike. Wink  love3

I've been looking at accessory gauges, possibly with a sender with the same thread even.

I've had a lot of replacement parts over the years that were either naff, not as good as the one it was replacing or such.  It happened a lot with flasher relays and bearings.

I can test the sender I took out when I get a moment - I should have tested the replacemnt in retrospect.

I still wonder if the motor is running cold though.
Very Happy
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I doubt it is running cold - I was sure mine was but I was wrong.

If you have jump leads then just try putting one end of the lead onto the body of the sender and the other end to the earth terminal on the battery - just to rule out bad earth connection on the sender threads.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 20:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I doubt it is running cold - I was sure mine was but I was wrong.

If you have jump leads then just try putting one end of the lead onto the body of the sender and the other end to the earth terminal on the battery - just to rule out bad earth connection on the sender threads.

Yeah, it certainly gets hot at the rad's header! Wink

I'll have to give the 'earth' approach a try when I next run the car to temperature.  I did run a lead from it to the -ve on the battery but it might have needed better and croc. clamps sound like a good idea. Smile
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2015 23:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:

I fitted an extra gauge and when it showed me my engine wasn't running too cold then I changed the original sender only because I don't like things that don't work properly.

Where did you insert the sender for the aftermarket gauge??
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 4:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did mine differently to most other people and used a thermocouple probe bolted to the head itself.

Most people put it into the top hose using an adapter like THIS

Don't forget to earth it though as the top hose will insulate it from the car.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 9:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
I did mine differently to most other people and used a thermocouple probe bolted to the head itself.

Most people put it into the top hose using an adapter like THIS

Don't forget to earth it though as the top hose will insulate it from the car.

I looked at those but I didn't want to cut into the hose as hoses are not that easy to get if I needed one.  It's 2 weeks from a Mitsy dealer and 10 days from Japan or the UAE.  Can I pick your brains about the head thermocouple.  When I ran an electric fan on my SJ it had a probe to go under the hose but I strapped it to the rad header instead.  It worked cos the sender was attached to a variable control and I could set it to come on at the right temp; this is not an option really for a temp gauge. I would prefer something like that again.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

helijohn wrote:
I looked at those but I didn't want to cut into the hose as hoses are not that easy to get if I needed one.  

I share your dislike for cutting hoses, but in fact you won't make the hose any more likely to fail if you put a coupling for a sender in it. I fitted one a few months ago and it's given no problems at all.  Just make sure that, if you do, you insert it in a straight section of the hose so that it's not under any stress.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 10:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon_W wrote:
helijohn wrote:
I looked at those but I didn't want to cut into the hose as hoses are not that easy to get if I needed one.  

I share your dislike for cutting hoses, but in fact you won't make the hose any more likely to fail if you put a coupling for a sender in it. I fitted one a few months ago and it's given no problems at all.  Just make sure that, if you do, you insert it in a straight section of the hose so that it's not under any stress.

Lol - such a small hose there is not much straight.

I just tested the old sender and to my mind it is working OK. Cold the resistance is 0.9 and in boiling water it drops to 0.13.

The 0.9 possibly explains why the gauge moved up a little when powered.  The 0.9 tells me the resistance is pretty much nowt - the gauge at that should be registering overheating I think!! Shocked   Shocked
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to add (but couldn't as there is no 'edit' Arghhhhhh) it is starting to look like a gauge fault.
Simon_W

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

helijohn wrote:
I meant to add (but couldn't as there is no 'edit' Arghhhhhh) it is starting to look like a gauge fault.

I agree that the sender would seem OK.  The figures you posted (I assume kΩ) are pretty much in line with the sender on my Challenger. I measured approx 0.9kΩ at 40 °C, and 0.13kΩ at 100 °C.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

helijohn wrote:
it is starting to look like a gauge fault.

The gauge moves full scale when you earth the wire though.
peteinchad
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 11:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

helijohn wrote:

Can I pick your brains about the head thermocouple.  

I did a write-up of it HERE

It gives different readings to the ones that read the water temperature because it is measuring the temperature of the metal of the head.

It takes a while to work out what is "normal" for your engine - mine is 62oC - which is less than what the other type of gauge reads. But once you know then it isn't a problem.
helijohn
LifeTime Member
LifeTime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2015 12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

peteinchad wrote:
helijohn wrote:
it is starting to look like a gauge fault.

The gauge moves full scale when you earth the wire though.

Yes it does but I recall in my motors of bygone years that the gauge would creep (quickly even so) to full scale when earthed out.  This flicked right up violently and I was not expecting that.   Shocked  I might fit a pot to an earth wire and see if I can simulate the sender.

Excellent write up on the head mounted temp gauge. Cool

I think I am going to get myself a cheap gauge and see what I can do with it and its sender.  I have already fitted a voltmeter - I like one in every car - so I'll fit an accessory temp gauge to match. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Mitsubishi Pajero Owners ClubŪ Forum Index -> Pinin & Jnr technical forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: